What happens if I'm unhappy with my recently purchased HP car

llaurraxx
llaurraxx Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 17 May 2018 at 2:34PM in Motoring
Hi,

Last week I traded in my car (which was on PCP) for a 12 plate Mini on HP.

I had an issue with the windscreen which I was told would need replacing and 8 days later this has still not been done or even arranged. Two days ago, the car failed to start and since I have been unable to drive it.

I have let the dealership I got it from know of the issues and it seems there has been 0 efforts in trying to resolve the issues, I just keep going back and forth getting told "my details have been passed on to the windscreen guy and our service department and will be in touch". I'm really unimpressed with the customer service as it has never taken this long before to have an issue resolved at other dealerships I have visited, especially as a "new customer".

I'm now really unhappy and frustrated with the car/current situation with the dealership that I want to give it back while I'm still in my 14 day cooling period. I heavily rely on my car and cannot afford to go very long without one.

Could someone please tell me my options on how I go about giving the car back and what will happen. The finance company for is Black Horse.

They also told me they couldn't settle my finance on my old car until a V5 was received (I have re-ordered this) but they have already put my old car on their website, which technically is still my financial responsibility until it is settled.

Thanks

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Contact the dealer and state that you want to reject the car because of the issues.
  • llaurraxx
    But what would happen after that, what happens with my old car etc?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    llaurraxx wrote: »
    Hi,

Last week I traded in my car (which was on PCP) for a 12 plate Mini on HP.

I had an issue with the windscreen which I was told would need replacing and 8 days later this has still not been done or even arranged. Two days ago, the car failed to start and since I have been unable to drive it.

I have let the dealership I got it from know of the issues and it seems there has been 0 efforts in trying to resolve the issues, I just keep going back and forth getting told "my details have been passed on to the windscreen guy and our service department and will be in touch". I'm really unimpressed with the customer service as it has never taken this long before to have an issue resolved at other dealerships I have visited, especially as a "new customer".

I'm now really unhappy and frustrated with the car/current situation with the dealership that I want to give it back while I'm still in my 14 day cooling period. I heavily rely on my car and cannot afford to go very long without one.

Could someone please tell me my options on how I go about giving the car back and what will happen. The finance company for is Black Horse.

They also told me they couldn't settle my finance on my old car until a V5 was received (I have re-ordered this) but they have already put my old car on their website, which technically is still my financial responsibility until it is settled.

Thanks
    Your "14 day cooling off period" simply refers to the time in which you can cancel the finance part of the contract, the car purchase itself is separate.

You do, however, have the option to reject the vehicle outright under the terms of the 30 day short-term right to reject part of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You need to speak to the finance co. also as technically they own the car.
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    With regards to your old car, if they've sold it they can't give it you back
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I'm now really unhappy and frustrated with the car/current situation with the dealership that I want to give it back while I'm still in my 14 day cooling period. I heavily rely on my car and cannot afford to go very long without one...
    As said, the 14 days relates to the finance (only).

I'd be demanding that they lend you a car (even if its just your old one) until yours is fixed.
  • llaurraxx
    With regards to your old car, if they've sold it they can't give it you back
    They haven't sold my car yet, but have put it on their website even although they have not yet received V5 or settled the finance on it (they obv wont do that until they have the V5).
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It's far too early (less than 14 days) to try to reject the car.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    It's far too early (less than 14 days) to try to reject the car.
    What are you on about! This is the perfect time and consistent with their statutory rights to reject the car should they choose to do so.

The OP only has 30 days to exercise their short-term right to reject the vehicle.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    Two days ago, the car failed to start and since I have been unable to drive it.

Unable to drive it; have you lost your license or something?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Unable to drive it; have you lost your license or something?

I think most people would be unable to drive a car that doesn't start.:huh:
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure