Park dean failure... what are my rights?

Options
emmam99
emmam99 Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi All

I'm looking to find out where we stand on something here... Easter weekend 2017 we stayed a Park dean Sandford in our touring caravan, and they unfortunately suffered massive electrical issues leaving us without electric for 3 out of our 4 night stay. After great discussion, they eventually refunded us in full for our stay. This Easter weekend 2018, hubby convinced me to give them another try (we have stayed at Sandford and some of their other sites multiple times without issue before that). We arrived on the Friday after a 4 hour drive to a very boggy pitch, but dealt with it and powered through setting up. Unfortunately within hours of arriving the electric went!!!

They suffered issues with this for the night, and at 11pm we were moved to a different pitch where the electric was apparently OK. That was until the following morning when it went again :-(

We were advised by the (very amazing in such a difficult situation) staff on site that there was no guarantee they could fix it (and in fact they were not hopeful at all) and that any one who chose not to stay would be given a full refund. Reluctantly we packed up our disappointed children, and headed home... less then 36 hours after setting off for our family Easter break.

On the Tuesday I contacted their customer relations department to express how unhappy I was that we had experienced the exact same issue as the year before. Again, the lady I spoke to was wonderful, very understanding and empathetic. I informed her that whilst the refund was expected, I did not feel it went far enough to compensate us for the loss in money and time our failed holiday had caused, and the disappointment caused to my children. She assured me a manager would call me within 7 days (not working days, I double checked this)

So we're on day 8 and no phone call, so I ring to find out what has happened and unfortunately my lovely staff member luck has run out. The lady (louise) is rude and abrupt, dishonest and unhelpful (she actually tried to tell me she was the person I had previously spoken to!! Like I wouldn't know!) After half an hours unpleasant discussion she eventually agreed to have a manager call me back, but commented that they would not be able to do anything more then what has already been done (holiday refunded) and that she doesn't know what it is I actually expect or want...

It got me thinking about what I do actually want... we're booked in again at a different Park Dean site in August, so I suppose some money off of that would be nice, but am I actually entitled to any form of compensation? And am I right to expect it?

Sorry for the essay... any help or advise would be greatly received :-)

Thanks

Emma

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emmam99 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking to find out where we stand on something here... Easter weekend 2017 we stayed a Park dean Sandford in our touring caravan, and they unfortunately suffered massive electrical issues leaving us without electric for 3 out of our 4 night stay. After great discussion, they eventually refunded us in full for our stay. This Easter weekend 2018, hubby convinced me to give them another try (we have stayed at Sandford and some of their other sites multiple times without issue before that). We arrived on the Friday after a 4 hour drive to a very boggy pitch, but dealt with it and powered through setting up. Unfortunately within hours of arriving the electric went!!!

They suffered issues with this for the night, and at 11pm we were moved to a different pitch where the electric was apparently OK. That was until the following morning when it went again :-(

We were advised by the (very amazing in such a difficult situation) staff on site that there was no guarantee they could fix it (and in fact they were not hopeful at all) and that any one who chose not to stay would be given a full refund. Reluctantly we packed up our disappointed children, and headed home... less then 36 hours after setting off for our family Easter break.

On the Tuesday I contacted their customer relations department to express how unhappy I was that we had experienced the exact same issue as the year before. Again, the lady I spoke to was wonderful, very understanding and empathetic. I informed her that whilst the refund was expected, I did not feel it went far enough to compensate us for the loss in money and time our failed holiday had caused, and the disappointment caused to my children. She assured me a manager would call me within 7 days (not working days, I double checked this)

So we're on day 8 and no phone call, so I ring to find out what has happened and unfortunately my lovely staff member luck has run out. The lady (louise) is rude and abrupt, dishonest and unhelpful (she actually tried to tell me she was the person I had previously spoken to!! Like I wouldn't know!) After half an hours unpleasant discussion she eventually agreed to have a manger call me back, but commented that they would not be able to do anything more then what has already been done and that she doesn't know what it is I actually expect or want...

It got me thinking about what I do actually want... we're booked in again at a different Park Dean site in August, so I suppose some money off of that would be nice, but am I actually entitled to any form of compensation? And am I right to expect it?

Sorry for the essay... any help or advise would be greatly received :-)

Thanks

Emma

I would guess that at best you might get money back (in addition to your refund) towards your fuel costs but short of that no, not really.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vote with your actions and book with someone else in 2019.
  • emmam99
    Options
    Oh I definitely will not book with them again!! But August was booked long before Easter weekend :-(
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You an only get compensation for a loss.

Any other than that is a goodwill gesture.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Vote with your feet or in this case your caravan wheels! Accept the refund and cancel your August holiday there without any fees incurred.
    Then book somewhere other than Park Dean letting the C.E.O of Park Dean know exactly why. You may just be a small fish in a large pond but you have had two bad experiences.
    In my mind the first time in anything is an accident and you were treated fairly. They haven't, however, learned anything and experiencing a second time is ridiculous.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure