Power of Attorney question

I have just received the Power of Attorney documents to act on behalf of my Mum but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help me.

I don't know why but I was expecting to one single POA document but I have received all the original application pages back with 'validated' punched out on the bottom of each page, is that correct?

When, for example the Bank or DWP want to see the original POA do I have to send them all the pages?

Last one, for now, when I sign documents on behalf of my Mum e.g. Attendance Allowance claims form or cheques, how do I sign them? E.g. Do I sign her name then mine and write POA after it or do I only sign her name, or only my name. I'm a bit confused.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    von wrote: »
    I have just received the Power of Attorney documents to act on behalf of my Mum but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help me.

I don't know why but I was expecting to one single POA document but I have received all the original application pages back with 'validated' punched out on the bottom of each page, is that correct?

When, for example the Bank or DWP want to see the original POA do I have to send them all the pages?

Last one, for now, when I sign documents on behalf of my Mum e.g. Attendance Allowance claims form or cheques, how do I sign them? E.g. Do I sign her name then mine and write POA after it or do I only sign her name, or only my name. I'm a bit confused.
    As far as the bank is concerned you need to make an appointment with the branch and take the POA with you. They can inspect it and take a copy. You will also need two forms of ID such as a driving licence and a recent council tax bill or bank staement. The bank will tell you how to operate the account. Phone the DWP and ask how you deal with them. Under no circumstances send the original to them.
  • I don't think that the DWP will want to see the POA forms.
    Mums payments will continue to go into her designated bank account and you will have access to that account on your mums behalf.
    Is your mum able to sign the application forms for AA for herself? If so then that's fine she can just sign.

Have you received your cheque book yet? Different banks have different formats. I just had to sign my own name and underneath the signature the bank had printed something like POA J Smith.

sparkie
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    I don't think that the DWP will want to see the POA forms.
    Mums payments will continue to go into her designated bank account and you will have access to that account on your mums behalf.
    Is your mum able to sign the application forms for AA for herself? If so then that's fine she can just sign.

Have you received your cheque book yet? Different banks have different formats. I just had to sign my own name and underneath the signature the bank had printed something like POA J Smith.

sparkie
    If her mother has lost capacity she can.t sign the DWP forms.the bank will not issue anything until they have seen the POA
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For DWP get a job centre to copy & sign the original POA which should be free. You MAY need to make an appointment for this. This way you keep hold of the POA as you may need it elsewhere. With luck the DWP should return this and then you have 2 usable copies. Do not let one copy out of your sight, this is a document that as I see it is more important (difficult to replace) than your passport.
  • Never send off the original POA/LPA to any organisation. As has already been said, get a certified copy and use that.

If you give the original, say perhaps to a bank staff member to copy in branch, check that you’ve received all the pages back - it does happen that a page is left in the copier, and the LPA will be invalidated if any pages are missing.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I contacted solicitor and got some certified copies done - these could be sent (all 11 pages) anywhere if needed. The bank opened me a designated account (took v few days ) had its own cheque book and card.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having recently dealt with DWP, they will accept a certified copy (either by yourself or the donor) which you can send to the relevant department. You can also take it to the job centre who will copy it.

Every bank is different but all require you to go in branch with the original or a certified copy along with your ID.

I only sign cheques for my mum-in-law's HSBC account, but I sign as myself then write "Attorney for" in front of her printed name below.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you want to make a copy, you can either pay someone or write it yourself, or get a stamp that lets you stamp the required wording. I did the latter as i wanted multiple copies and we had 4 POAs, that was nearly 200 pages to manually write on, just signing them was a PITA.

For one copy, just copy it yourself and then write the required phrase which can be found on the government POA website. Its a bit of a mouthful.

As said, never send off the POA and if you take it to someone who wants to copy it, make sure you get every single page back.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    LLoyds insisted my husband take his dementia, elderly, father IN with him & the POA! Was pointless & quite funny, the old guy fell asleep there.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    I see no one, including me, answered one of the OPs questions.

OP, the original forms, all 11 pages, once stamped, ARE the POA.

And yes upon reflection it is a bit strange, why isn't there a single summary document stating that Person X is certified as the Attorney for Person Y ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure