Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Comments

• dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,507
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2018 at 12:35PM
    It was seeing the nice way the Savings Ninja Turtles used the word January to bring together all their disparate aims and goals that led me to setting up my own thread. Certainly I would have had to devote masses of time if I got involved there,posting and updating in so many categories Better time- use to do it myself.
    But it was interesting. Here it is

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

At last I get back to commenting on this Ninja Saving Turtles January post. Better late than never ,though they have already posted February's thread:)
  • Just read your post dd, keep up the good work and HAPPY BIRTHDAY _party_
    Make £10 a day challenge - January 2023 = £292.89/£310 - Feb 2023 = £677.09/280 - March 2023 = £102.45/£310 - April = £300.12/300 - May 2023 = £306.80/£310 - June = £245.88/£150 - July = £295.45/£310 - August 2023 £51.56/£310
  • dustydigger
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2018 at 12:45PM
    Janus Looking back 2017 was hard in some ways,lost my sister,leaving me the last of my siblings.Then of course the whole diabetes issue was a major shock. But I did get my first great granddaughter,and all my children got settled into decent jobs and/or settled relationships
    So,2018. The health issues loom very large,especially that HbA1c test in a few months,which will decide whether I control my diabetes by diet and exercise,or have to go on medication.
    I also need to clean and decorate the house after years of neglect when I could barely walk or was recovering from strokes, hysterectomies and knee ops!;);)
    Activity. I recently joined a family history group and will certainly continue delving into my family's past.And I seriously have to plan walking,exercise etc.Much more on that later
    Non negotiables.Budgets and planning are a top priority,but fortnightly,which is the way we collect our pensions
    NSD days however are rare for me. Mr Dusty insists on fresh food freshly prepared,and rarely eats anything from a packet or a tin (only baked beans).We buy meat or fish,bread or milk almost everyday. Sunday is about the only day we dont spend!
    food bank or charity. I like the thought of this,I often feel guilty that I have nothing arranged. Will think about it and decide later
    meal plans - With SW we tend to be handling our food optimising book 20 times a day,so thats sorted
    unabashed,unambiguous etc etc. I dont think I am that gung ho,but we'll see:rotfl:
    always have a shopping list.I do a fortnightly big online shop on Asd@,and the list of favourites/frequent buys is invaluable for remembering on behalf of my dodgy old brain
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse!
    And read. Especially reading,my lifelong passion and obsession/ I need a major decluttering of my house too:eek::eek:
    You,- I am determined to sort my life out to improve it in many spheres,to shake off the depression and the sad memories
    I particularly like the way the Ninja Saving Turtles post their''gratitude''stuff.We so easy take the good things for granted,whereas we(I) love to rant and moan I am sure I could be a major contender for Grumpy Old Woman of the Year Award

Off now to make the lunch. Then this afternoon its the family history group.Afterwards I expect kids will be popping in to say happy birthday.So not sure when or if I get back on here
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,642
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy 70th.
    Enjoy :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) yoghurt yoghurt yoghurt yoghurt haha! Hope you are having a lovely day!!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    Forumite
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) yoghurt yoghurt yoghurt yoghurt haha! Hope you are having a lovely day!!
    Thanks,lonelyrat,it was bedlam last night when many of the tribe turned,and unfortunately I consumed an awful lot of chocolate - on top of the chocolate liqueurs earlier in the day I had more chocolate yesterday than I had in the 6 months before.:eek::eek::eek:But I did turn down a chinese takeaway,and had no alcohol since I was determined to complete my Dry January challenge.Will be AF today and tomorrow,but Saturday will be no holds barred:rotfl::rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,642
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Pass some chocolate :grin: Ta.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    Forumite
    Looks like the family history group is going to be my source for £2 coins.Nabbed 2 from the payment kitty,and my kind next door neighbour who also attends had saved up 3 for me so that makes £42:T:T
    Of course it all had to be swapped for money in my purse and thats no leaving a lot left in there for the rest of the week:D:D:D.But I'll manage.;)
    Its been a superb Dusty's Frugal Fortnight #1. I put away £60 at the beginning of the fortnight when I posted my budget,saved £12 in the £2 coins challenge, put £30 into my House and Home fund,put something in the birthday fund (4 birthdays in 11 days starting 27 Feb!)and even some shrapnel in the Sealed Pot challenge. It feels really great
    Fortnight #2 wont be anything as good,as its the fortnight when a lot of DDs come,plus the rest of the birthday dosh,but I'll do it.For now I'll bask in making a start on heading for financial peace of mind.:)
  • dustydigger
    Forumite
    Received £70 in cash for my birthday,that is earmarked for new clothes. Did I tell you my trousers fell off,in the house thank goodness!:rotfl:
    However I am between dress sizes at the moment. Cant wear my old size 22 trousers at all,size 20 is hanging baggy round the hips,but I know size 18 would be far too tight. I need to lose another half stone before I will venture to buy new trousers. I am the dangerous apple shape,and its a relief to have lost 5 inches off my waist,but getting clothes is still a problem. Getting them to fit my so called ''waist'' means massive size around the hips,even with elastication:rotfl:
    Mind you I am always cheesed off when people say they lost 2 stone and went down 4 dress sizes.Never happens to me like that!.I lose off my neck, chin and shoulders (which is a relief,looks so much better on photos)off my arms(leaving horrible wobbly batwings) and off my legs above the knees,must have lost 2 inches round each thigh,but no-one sees it hidden away inside the trousers!:p
    Oh,and I have to go and change my signature,3 st 13 1/2 pounds loss has gone back to 3 st 13 lbs,because of the chocolate!:rotfl:
  • Happy Belated birthday for yesterday xx

Well done on the weight loss :D x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family