Time for Change...

Hello all, long time lurcher first time poster. I have decided its time for a change; It is time to start saving money for mine and my girlfriends future. I'm 24 and currently work as a Commercial Analyst on £22k a year (Fancy name not so fancy pay check) and my girlfriend is currently studying Psychology at Uni so money in isn't fantastic, however my Girlfriend has savings and has done for a long time, granted its from saving her student loan but she is very good with money. Me on the other hand not so good, I take home around £1,300 a month but only manage to save £200 of that into a Help to Buy ISA (Thanks to MSE). A heavy amount does go to bills but living at home still does reduce what they could be. Anyway enough rambling... I have set myself some goals which I hope everyone can see in my signature that I want to achieve ideally by the end of 2018 and I am hoping by keeping track of everything here it will help me keep motivated and stop spending. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance to anyone who helps during this long process.:j

Jack
Savings Target 2017: £0/£1,000 0%
House Deposit: £800/£10,000 8%
Holiday Coin Jar: £130/£500 26%

Comments

• Here is my SOA, Not done 100% accurately but close as it is going to get.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1300
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1300

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 200
    Rent.................................... 140
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 35
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 5
    Groceries etc. ......................... 0
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 17
    Car Insurance........................... 70
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 100
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Help to Buy ISA......................... 200
    Total monthly expenses.................. 917

Assets

Cash.................................... 800
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 8000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 8800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(0)........0<
    Car Finance....................8000.....(200)......13.9
    Total secured & HP debts...... 8000......-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Tesco's Credit Card............200.......50........7
    Barclaycard....................800.......150.......0
    Accounting Course..............1800......75........0
    Total unsecured debts..........2800......275.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,300
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 917
    Available for debt repayments........... 383
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 275
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 108

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 8,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -8,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -2,800
    Net Assets.............................. -2,000

Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.[/i]
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hello welcome. happy saving. :D
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Thanks savingwannabe
  • Hi Jack.
    You don't seem to have a huge amount left over every month for saving but I did notice that once you have paid off that Tesco credit card you will have an extra £50 a month so I think I would concentrate on that first.
    Good luck, I will follow your progress!
  • Hi Maiden Mum, Very true think maybe a new job will soon need to be a priority as to boost my income a little. With a new job and my credit cards all paid off by June '17 I should be on my way to saving £400-500 a month. I still need to cut back on meals out etc. which is where the majority of my "left over" money goes. Thanks for following!
  • Spent £3 on lunch today as I forgot my lunchbox, think I should just leave my wallet at home when I come to work, the van is too tempting sometimes. Normally very good at bringing in a luncbox but soon get into the "Treat yourself" spiral!

Football Saturday and going out with the lads after so there's another £50-60 down the drain, off to the cost Sunday too for a late valentines trip shouldn't be too pricey.

My main problem seems to be the weekends, I spend literally nothing apart from weekly petrol throughout the week and then weekend comes and my money just runs away from me.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello again, don't worry about forgetting lunch it was a one off. I used to spend a tenner a day on lunch and now I save it. I don't drive 'cos I cant.lol. But your car is expensive. Can you downgrade for a cheaper one? Don't worry if you can't.

I find weekends a nightmare as that's when I spend money too. In the old days I don't think people went out for weekends maybe you could go out for just one drink and no more. I think it is worse for men with the peer pressure.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 3:16PM
    Hi JackAllSavings well done on posting your SOA and well done on saving.

From what you've said about going out though I think your entertainment budget is a bit optimistic at £100 a month ;)

Have you used vouchers for meals out ? I've just convinced my DS age 21 to start using them as you can save a lot and he's realised it doesn't impact on his "street cred" lol cos his mates are saving money off the bill too.

I notice you haven't budgeted anything for MOT or service costs which can be a fair chunk. If you are going to be able to save maybe put a bit aside each month towards the car as they always seem to need some maintenance each year !

Also nothing for Christmas / birthdays ? Maybe do the same and put some away monthly.

Good luck on getting a new job, more income coming in always helps :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Hello again, don't worry about forgetting lunch it was a one off. I used to spend a tenner a day on lunch and now I save it. I don't drive 'cos I cant.lol. But your car is expensive. Can you downgrade for a cheaper one? Don't worry if you can't.

I find weekends a nightmare as that's when I spend money too. In the old days I don't think people went out for weekends maybe you could go out for just one drink and no more. I think it is worse for men with the peer pressure.

I used to spend £5 a day on the van easily maybe even more, saved a lot through bringing lunch from home. My car is expensive and maybe a bit too much for what I need it for which is getting to work and seeing my girlfriend which is only a 5 minute trip. I have a VW Scirocco and I love the car but have been thinking about getting rid of it and buying something a little less "Mad" but its going to be hard to let go plus I got the £10k loan out for it nearly 2 years ago so I will still have to pay the majority back as the car depreciates (Minus what I sell it for obviously). I also need to replace the Shocks on it which will set me back around £450, this would have to be done before I sell it.

Haha funnily enough its not the being out with the lads that I spend my money as I hardly go out, its being with my girlfriend i.e. meals out, takeaways, etc.etc.
  • Hi JackAllSavings well done on posting your SOA and well done on saving.

From what you've said about going out though I think your entertainment budget is a bit optimistic at £100 a month ;)

Have you used vouchers for meals out ? I've just convinced my DS age 21 to start using them as you can save a lot and he's realised it doesn't impact on his "street cred" lol cos his mates are saving money off the bill too.

I notice you haven't budgeted anything for MOT or service costs which can be a fair chunk. If you are going to be able to save maybe put a bit aside each month towards the car as they always seem to need some maintenance each year !

Also nothing for Christmas / birthdays ? Maybe do the same and put some away monthly.

Good luck on getting a new job, more income coming in always helps :D

Hi Skint Yet Again,

I think you're right which means I have even less to put away that I originally thought!:(

I do use vouchers occasionally but this is mainly because my girlfriend finds them as she is much better with budgeting and saving money than I am. I am a big time impulse buyer and I often pay for meals out because I feel I should do being the one who works.

The only things needed on my car is the rear shocks (£450) and 3 new tyres (£150-200) I have a friend that looks at my car regularly and I get it serviced yearly which I should probably budget for. But seen as like we said I have less than I thought to put away its very tough. Plus I am really trying to concentrate on getting the money for my deposit ASAP and I seem to forget about these sort of things.

thanks for the luck I am going to need it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills