Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 20th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 2,619Posts
    • 8,532Thanks
    Munchin
    Munchin's moseying out of debt diary....again
    • 20th May 19, 1:07 PM
    Munchin's moseying out of debt diary....again 20th May 19 at 1:07 PM
    Afternoon

I've decided to start a new diary because I just wanted a clean slate and I aim to be debt free by December 2020 if not before.

A little bit about myself - I'm single after the end of a very long term relationship but I'm a happier person now. I kept custody of the furbaby (dog) and now live at home with my Mum (at my age ).

I am such a fritterer...oh shiny bauble ...must buy. I know that each time I get debt free my habits don’t change. I hope they will but I’m quite impulsive and I know I have a good enough salary to cover the frittering but I don’t want to owe anyone any money from now on ‘neither a borrower nor lender be’.

I would so like this to be my final diary of climbing out of the debt pit and to change the bad habits that keep dragging me back into debt.

I have the following goals for 19/20 -
    • Debt free by end of 2020.
    • An Emergency fund for a rainy day - target £6,000.
    • A dream trip - Sri Lanka as I have friends there.
    • Start savings towards a 'new to me' car.
    • Start savings towards rewiring house.
    As I said in previous diaries, in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinching….probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my debt cleared.

Debts @ 20th May 2019

Bathroom loan - total £4,255. I pay £240 to this per month and have 17 months to go, so it should be gone by Dec 2020 (if not before.) At least I have something to show for it.

Credit card - £1472.50. The CC is 0% and I have no real excuse for it creeping up again. We are having a family holiday in August and I paid a bit extra on the card towards flights and hotel for my Mum & sister's kids. I'm going to pay £150 pm which gives me 10 months to clear (March 2020) but fairly confident it will be cleared sooner.

Very - £324 - new bed - (pay nothing for 6 months.)

Total - £6,051.50.

Can't wait until I'm debt free again.
    DEBT: 1) Loan - £3,999; 2) Credit card - 1322; 3) Very - £274.

Savings - EF -£200 / Xmas - £xx / Holiday £1,800

Weight loss= -24lb lost = 30lb to go/54lb start (target 9st 7lb)
Page 2
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Jun 19, 4:26 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    June budget

Groceries - £100/£8.88 spent
    Dining out/fun - £80/£20.07 spent
    Everything else - £16480.58 spent
    Diesel - £160/£35 spent

Weekly spends - w/c 02 June

Sun - NSD
    Mon - £3.65 lunch & £35 diesel
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - £1.95 milk
    Thurs -£22.50 dentist +£5.49 chemist + £13.87 - £1 shop + £7.27 McDs (nephew)
    Fri - NSD
    Sat - NSD

Total - £82.73
    Last edited by Munchin; 09-06-2019 at 7:04 AM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Jun 19, 7:59 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Money front - yesterday was a bit spendy but nothing extravagant. Went to my dentist for a check up and I was given the all clear. One of my teeth is playing up but I'm thinking it's because I've started to clench my teeth when I sleep (did it before). I will wait and see if it passes. I popped into the £1 shop and picked up a few needed bits. I also went to the opticians as my glasses really needed tightened which thankfully didn't cost me anything.

Spending is going really well this month - I always think I have lots of money and then when it gets past the 10th of the month I realise there is a lot more month at the end of the money. Still no word on when we are getting our pay rise which should have been in August past.

Health - I weighed myself this morning and I stayed the same . So much effort goes into losing each pound and I wish it was just as easy to come off as it is to go on. I tried on my 'ultimate' jeans - basically they are the ones that fitted me about 3 years ago and once I fit back into them then that's the dieting done. Well it's an improvement - they now go over the hips but there is a canyon between the zipper - I will get there .

Not many plans this weekend but I may as well hibernate as the next 2 weekends are busy.

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 7th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Will you get any backdated pay for your payrise being so delayed, Munchin? xx
    Debt Target #01 - £0/£228
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi SSDD23,

Yes at the moment they owe us 10 months which after tax is about £800 odd pound which I'm hoping to put towards debts and will cover my holiday spends in August. The Union are balloting for strike action but usually what happens is the civil service force it through anyway. I'm not relying on it for my holiday but it would be nice. I wish they would just get on with it.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 7th Jun 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    SSDD23
    That'll be a nice little sum for you then! Annoying that you're having to wait for it but it'll be a chunk from your debts
    Debt Target #01 - £0/£228
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

Yesterday pup and I ventured out for a run in the forest. We haven't been out together since he had his op and all was good. I felt full of energy afterwards and had a clear out on my shoes (never throw shoes out but I haven't worn some of them for years or wear them to death). I then tidied papers and then the house.

Today we are heading to mass and catching up with family. So it will be a nice quiet day. Then the chaos of the week begins.

Money front - no spends yesterday and hopefully none today. I've read Dave Ramsey's principles and will try to follow them but omit the steps on save for kids and house -
    • Save £1,000 for your starter emergency fund - @ 08 June - £200
    • Pay all my debt (aim July 20)
    • Save 3-6 months expenses - yikes - aim £6,000
    • Invest 15% of household income for retirement
    • Build wealth and give
    • Replacement/Fix things fund - aim £15,000

I also need to save for a replacement car and rewiring house so that' 'Replacement/Fix things fund'. I know that all the above are achievable and once I have paid of my debts I will have £450 a month towards these targets.

Last edited by Munchin; 13-06-2019 at 9:04 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    June budget

Groceries - £100/£46.88 spent
    Dining out/fun - £80/£20.07 spent
    Everything else - £16492.57 spent
    Diesel - £160/£75 spent

Weekly spends - w/c 09 June

Sun - NSD
    Mon - £40 diesel, £38 groceries, £10 gift & £11.99 Amazon (ipad cover)
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - NSD
    Thurs -
    Fri -
    Sat -

Total -
    Last edited by Munchin; 13-06-2019 at 9:04 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

I have partly paid for my dream holiday in November out of my savings . I booked 2 sets of flights this week - Home to London and then onwards to Sri Lanka and then back again. I have an extra expense as I fly in late to London on way back and there are no flights home until the next day so I will book a travel lodge or equivalent that night. I still have to cover accommodation costs and spending when I'm out there. The flights were cheaper than previously priced (due to the unfortunate Sri Lanka events).

I honestly don't think I need to buy much for my holiday in Spain or Sri Lanka (don't usually have 2 holidays) but relatives own the hotel so it will be cheaper.

My spends have been good this month....so far. The only spend that I didn't really have to make was a new Ipad cover - the old one is falling to bits and I could have waited but the impulse got me. It was still a necessity but maybe not right now .

I am babysitting family tonight and should be earning some brownie points .

This weekend I have a volunteer thing on Saturday which will take up most of my day and then Sunday will be just a pottering catch up day. I can't believe how quickly this week is skipping by.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,605Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin