Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May - MSE News

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Shame its only inshore and not for online orders :(
    If you shop online, the discounts will be taken off and will show on your final customer delivery note

But it is also for online orders.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The more you think about this the more ludicrous it becomes.

To enable me to find prices in Tesco that might possibly compete with those in Aldi or Lidl I have to download the Clubcard app or log into the website?

Why would I bother?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    alanq wrote: »
    But it is also for online orders.

I clearly didn't read it properly first thing this morning ! :rotfl::rotfl:

Thank you, i feel better now :)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Gave up using TESCO money off a minimum spend vouchers when you couldn't buy alcohol.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I noticed during a visit to Tesco last night that they are now selling Jacks branded items in the store.

We do not have a Jacks store anywhere near here, and the Tesco I went to has a Lidl next door so I can kind of understand why they're trying this, but...

1) It's confusing. All these Jacks items were together on one aisle. The other things on that aisle were gardening items, outdoor toys and a few reduced non-food odds and ends.So if you wanted crisps or lemonade you would not find the Jacks versions because they weren't on the crisp/fizzy drink aisles.

2) It's confusing. Tesco used to have three own brands - value, normal and finest. Then they replaced value with a load of made up brand names. They also seem to have introduced some fake brand names for standard items. Now they have the Jacks brand in the mix too. It's much more confusing than Lidl where there is usually just one version of each product, occasionally two versions.

I don't go to Tesco often these days, but every time I do I come away wondering what exactly their strategy is.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    TheBanker wrote: »
    I noticed during a visit to Tesco last night that they are now selling Jacks branded items in the store.

We do not have a Jacks store anywhere near here, and the Tesco I went to has a Lidl next door so I can kind of understand why they're trying this, but...

1) It's confusing. All these Jacks items were together on one aisle. The other things on that aisle were gardening items, outdoor toys and a few reduced non-food odds and ends.So if you wanted crisps or lemonade you would not find the Jacks versions because they weren't on the crisp/fizzy drink aisles.

2) It's confusing. Tesco used to have three own brands - value, normal and finest. Then they replaced value with a load of made up brand names. They also seem to have introduced some fake brand names for standard items. Now they have the Jacks brand in the mix too. It's much more confusing than Lidl where there is usually just one version of each product, occasionally two versions.

I don't go to Tesco often these days, but every time I do I come away wondering what exactly their strategy is.

I've seen this too - Jack's isn't, I hear, going too well for them. Maybe they're having to shift some of the Jack's branded stuff into the main stores to get rid of it!

I suspect this little venture will soon go the way of the Sainsbury's Netto gamble.

You can't out-Aldi Aldi! Or Lidl.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I suspect this little venture will soon go the way of the Sainsbury's Netto gamble.
    You can't out-Aldi Aldi! Or Lidl.

Yes - my Tesco also has an aisle they call The Market (or something similar) which has a random selection of non-food items. I suspect they're trying to imitate the middle aisle of Aldi/Lidl and at the same time shift a load of non food that's left in their warehouses after they closed the Tesco Direct website down. But unlike Aldi/Lidl it's not a good selection and there are no particular bargains.

It is fair to say that this Tesco is next door to a Lidl which opened last year. Since Lidl opened, Tesco has not been as busy. I guess they have to try different things, but for me Lidl is not just about lower prices. The store seems cleaner, easier to navigate and despite only having a few checkouts compared to Tesco has shorter queues. I suspect that if the pricing structure was reversed, i.e. Tesco became the cheaper of the two, I would still shop at Lidl because I prefer the store and range to Tesco.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a Tesco and lidl equal distance away, I haven't used Tesco (except for petrol) since Lidl opened, much nicer store and first thing in the morning I can do a shop door to door in 20 mins which as a man who hates shopping and other people this is a bonus. Great value for money esp the veg.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As an aside, I saw Sainsbury's advert celebrating 150 years yesterday evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TO8i7W7dcI

A much better creative effort than Tesco's; if it were a war of image then Sainsbos would win hands down.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I went to my local Tesco in Finchley Central and wanted to purchase a jar of coffee at the Clubcard price. Although the coffee was advertised on the shelf as being one of the discounted products, it was not discounted at the till. The Supervisor said that I needed a voucher in addition to my Clubcard. I only had my Clubcard. To date I have not received any vouchers for the discounted prices. As I haven’t read anywhere that vouchers are needed (unless i’m going blind), can someone please clarify.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure