Flybe cabin bags

Options
Hi, just a heads up to anyone thinking of taking a cabin bag on a Flybe flight.
We have just returned from Jersey with Flybe and at the check in desk they were clamping down on any bags that would not fit in the small metal frame that is used to check bag sizes. Before I have seen them let bags go if there was a couple of inches sticking out of the frame but on Monday they charging £40 for any bag that didn't fit fully in the frames.

We had booked hold baggage so it didn't affect us but the lady on check in told us that they had been told to clamp down on any oversize bag and charge £40. If you checked in online and went straight to the gate you would be charged £50 and we saw lots of this with voices raised to Flybe staff.

So if you are thinking of flying with Flybe make are your cabin bag is within their dimensions.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dansdad wrote: »
    So if you are thinking of flying with any airline make are your cabin bag is within their dimensions.
    or be prepared to pay the fee...
    So many appear to think that the sizing rules only apply to other people and not them. Anybody raising their voice to complain about being charged because their bag was too large (when it is) just makes themselves look foolish (implies they cannot read or use a measuring tape)
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Flybe have tiny planes with tiny lockers - what is ok for cabin on other airlines might not be with flybe.
    They are also currently desperate for cash.
  • sufiwho
    sufiwho Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, this is useful! Another thing: does anyone know if the small piece of bag to be placed under the seat includes a backpack? Will that be regarded over size?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sufiwho wrote: »
    Thanks, this is useful! Another thing: does anyone know if the small piece of bag to be placed under the seat includes a backpack? Will that be regarded over size?

It doesn't matter what sort of bag you use as long as it complies with the size regulation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    sufiwho wrote: »

Backpacks fine, we flew Flybe a couple of weeks ago
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We flew with Flybe in January. Son’s bag which we bought for a Flybe flight a while ago and has been used for three previous holidays with no issues was not allowed and we had to pay £50 to check it in and £22 to check it in online for the return trip. The bag, according to Asda’s website, measured exactly what Flybe allow on board.

My OH who was an engineer reckons that if the Flybe cage measures exactly the size they say the bag can be, then a bag measuring that size won’t fit, ie size on size won’t fit.

I am in Spain at the moment having flown with Ryanair. My case measures exactly the 55 x 40 x 20cm that they allow but it fits comfortably in the cage with room to spare. If I see a tape measure while I’m on holiday, I’ll measure the Flybe cage on my way home.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    8ofspades wrote: »
    Backpacks fine, we flew Flybe a couple of weeks ago
    As per the post above yours, it depends on the size not whether it's a backpack or not.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    As per the post above yours, it depends on the size not whether it's a backpack or not.

True, the only stipulations were on the website that it fit under the seat, and that the combined weight with cabin bag was not more than 10kg. Unless you've got a backpackers backpack, I imagine most are ok (the website states handbag or laptop bag so it does make you question whether backpacks are acceptable). They didn't even bother measuring or weighing my backpack.
  • joespa89
    joespa89 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Looking for some advice.

Recently travelled with Flybe from Edinburgh to Southampton with my partner. No complaints, until the return leg.

Flight was delayed an hour when we arrived, and we were told we had to check in our bags, at a charge of £40 each. This wasn't the case on the way down (both bags fit in overhead lockers) and staff simply explained this was due to Edinburgh staff "not doing their job". The member of staff even measured our bags and said that including the wheels they were just over the required measurements.

Annoyingly we both had tags on our bags to say they were approved for carry on for the way down but took them off when we arrived.

Flight was delayed a total 2 hours so not able to get compensated for that, just wondering if we have any course for complaint about the bags and shocking service? Or simply accept and never fly with Flybe again.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flybe cabin baggage size 55 x 35 x 20cm, did they have a cage at the airport? how did they determine it was too large?
    measure your bag (including wheels and handles) if larger then the fee was correct and Edinburgh were wrong (and you should have been charged for both ways)
    if smaller then why did you pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport