PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £200 again for us.
    2 adults and 2 kids under 2. Includes everything except alcohol and kids are mostly in reusable nappies with only a little bit of formula milk.

I'm taking the cat food out of the budget though and having separate fund of about £50. I thought the cats had started eating tinned food but it was just neighbourhood cats sneaking in the cat flap and eating it all up. The elder boy cat continues to struggle to have an appetite so we'll continue to buy him raw food and doubly delicious pouches, both of which blow our budget. I still have a store cupboard we will be clearing down of tinned pulses and rice/pasta etc.
    Really hope I can do this in July, June didn't go very well on any of the budgets
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I be put down for £161.20 (£5.20 per day) for July please? Thank you!! :D
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 June 2019 at 7:17AM
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Budgets updated to here

My new month starts on 26th which is Wednesday. I'm provisionally saying £200 but there is a small possibility I'll be moving house to a slightly more expensive but very lovely place if I'm accepted by the landlord with a guarantor, scary stuff. If I'm not then I'm going to really focus on getting my spends more under control and try and get some little savings built up because this (very stressful) week has really highlighted to me how crap I am with money and I do not like this feeling.

One thing I want to do is stop having so much stored. I guess it's one thing being well stocked up but I keep a lot in my kitchen and I don't think I need to keep so much.
    So for July (whether I move at the end or not), I am going to try and actually use what I have here and not panic if I get near the end of something. Because half of it has sat there for ages anyway so why am I storing it?!

Ooh good luck with the new place to live Elsie - fingers crossed for you.

Re storing the food, I am like you and keep good stores but sometimes it gets a bit out of hand and I re-post on the Old-style thread for eating out of your freezer and cupboards (link here).

The mindset for me is that I am paying the SM to store their food.

Using it up only works if I make in-my-store meals and pare back what I buy to the very basics (mine are different to you as I am not vegan) with a list stuck to the fridge of the grocery things I need (composting bags, liquid soap not in a plastic bottle and sumac are on my list at the moment). I will need fresh fruit (bowl and berries) and my staples of yogurt, butter and milk but I am using more frozen veg (beans I froze last summer when I grew a glut still take up nearly a drawer :o).

I was thinking of only buying food that is not in plastic and letting this drive my list. Is anyone else doing this?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    I was thinking of only buying food that is not in plastic and letting this drive my list. Is anyone else doing this?

Did some of this yesterday and ended up paying more than food already packaged. To keep costs down I also bought ready packaged. Didn’t buy any this time but single pepper 55p, pack of 3 £1.09ish.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Saver.The.Taste
    Options
    Hi would you please put me down for this challenge, going to cut my June budget down so from 1/7 to 28/7 i'm going to go for £126, cutting down my previous budget by 50p a day, slowly slowly save the pennies!
    January Grocery Challenge £71.51/£150.00    48% spent!
    February Grocery Challenge £79.83/£112        71% spent!
    March Grocery Challenge £0.00/£93.00           0% spent!

Save 2022    £2305.21
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

I spent £33.27 yesterday so a total of £55.30 for the week. It's all been meal planned to use up some stuff we have in already in the freezer etc. I have overnight guests on Friday as well so will send ds2 up to the old house (which we still own ) to see if there are any gooseberries for a crumble. The neighbours are very helpful in ensuring none of the fruit goes to waste!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh good luck with the new place to live Elsie - fingers crossed for you.

Thank you - I should hear this afternoon - eek! :eek:
    Re storing the food, I am like you and keep good stores but sometimes it gets a bit out of hand and I re-post on the Old-style thread for eating out of your freezer and cupboards (link here).

The mindset for me is that I am paying the SM to store their food.

I do like that thread - I mostly keep the stuff to make up meals so it just fresh veggies and herbs that can round things out. If I did end up moving I'm not sure if there is a full freezer in the new place, so I'd deffo need to run the freezer down again! It's not too bad as I recently emptied and defrosted it again, so it's not rubbish in there for years, it's batch cooked stuff, frozen veggie meats, ice lollies and veggies really.
    Using it up only works if I make in-my-store meals and pare back what I buy to the very basics (mine are different to you as I am not vegan) with a list stuck to the fridge of the grocery things I need (composting bags, liquid soap not in a plastic bottle and sumac are on my list at the moment). I will need fresh fruit (bowl and berries) and my staples of yogurt, butter and milk but I am using more frozen veg (beans I froze last summer when I grew a glut still take up nearly a drawer :o).

I do the grocery list on the fridge thing too! My compulsion is ALWAYS to buy at least 2 of everything though, I am always worried that if I run out of something I won't be able to afford to buy it again when I need it! Lucky you growing stuff! I would have a bit of room to experiment in the new place I think, but it's quite a big garden to maintain as it is so not sure if I would be brave enough. I probably won't even get it so I need to stop thinking like this lol! Hard to focus until I find out though!!!

I'm definitely cutting down more but I do find, as getmyacttogether said, that it can be more expensive for some products, precisely like the peppers mentioned. I do have little reusable drawstring bags now though which I take in, and it makes me try and get stuff loose more, like carrots for example.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I do my best to buy package free.
    Earlier I bought one pepper, 50p. Meanwhile you can get a bag of 3 for £1.10 or a bag of 4-6 for £1.20.
    Again earlier I bought loose mushrooms that are 20p more per kg than the cheapest wrapped in plastic version.
    Annoying yes. However only having what I need in can help with the budget.
    Sometimes I buy reduced items wrapped in plastic but to me the waste of both the plastic and food inside is a worse thing.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • ChihiroSen
    ChihiroSen Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I be added for £200. It is just me, but I have absolutely no supplies so I want to fill my pantry.” Thanks
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    July will be my first month doing this. I am looking to spend £120 a month (including all other items such as cleaning supplies etc)

I will probably update this at the end of each week to show my progression over the month. Once I have my 'baseline' down, I can spot for areas for improvement. So even if this month is a bust, it will help me progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure