Death in service policy

2»

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 1:02PM
    Cross posted with SilverTabby.

Where does the OP say she was an ex-employee? Have I missed that?

I know the OP says "used to work for", but as in my post above I take that to mean she used to work for the company but doesn't any more because she is dead.

If she was an ex-employee surely the company would already have pointed out that no DIS benefit is due?

I would also presume the OP to know what Death in Service means.

I re-read Ryan's post and edited my post. Still not absolutely clear if this is indeed DIS.

Sorry if this sounds picky, but 'she used to work for' and 'she worked for' could have difference meanings in the context of Ryan's post. It's just that I spent nearly 20 years working out what LGPS pensioners really meant when they asked questions.....
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 1:15PM
    The way I first read the OP was as I posted above, but may be mistaken.

If I'm right, it would have been clearer if OP had said something like "the company she worked for at the time of her death" rather than "used to work for" and "her old company". It is unclear.

Also I thought OP said they informed the "old company" immediately(?). (Post #6)

OP - how did you learn of the DIS benefit? Are you sure you are the beneficiary?
  • From duplicate thread:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, yes she was still employed with the company at her time of death.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921576
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    From duplicate thread:

“ Sorry for the misunderstanding, yes she was still employed with the company at her time of death.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921576

Then there's no excuse for the delay. As long as the nominated beneficiary forms were properly completed and registered, then the money is Ryan's property - not his his mother's estate. Someone needs their derrier kicking.
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 November 2018 at 3:27PM
    OP I'm sorry to say you'd only be due this payment if your mum nominated you on her DIS form - and believe me I saw plenty where I prayed I wasn't the one dealing with the person die - and being a beneficiary under her will doesn't automatically make you a beneficiary for DIS

We had a year's delay in sorting out FIL's DIS but that due to his partner being obstructive and not passing on SIL & OH's contact details but once contact had been made then I think it was relatively quickly.

I am surprised though that contact wasn't made beforehand
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I re-read Ryan's post and edited my post. Still not absolutely clear if this is indeed DIS.

Sorry if this sounds picky, but 'she used to work for' and 'she worked for' could have difference meanings in the context of Ryan's post. It's just that I spent nearly 20 years working out what LGPS pensioners really meant when they asked questions.....

Retired Senior Tax Inspector here so I'm also familiar with possible different meanings depending on context.

That makes it perfectly clear, thank you. Pity I hadn't read it earlier:o

OP hope you get this sorted soon
  • Sorry it wasn't very clear, yes my mother was still working for the company when she passed away. Another question I have, is a death in service payment included as part of her estate? I've had a letter today from department of work and pensions saying that £4,700 is owed out the estate. But I'm getting conflicting information whether the death in service payment is part of my mother's estate or not?
  • Ryan_james wrote: »
    Sorry it wasn't very clear, yes my mother was still working for the company when she passed away. Another question I have, is a death in service payment included as part of her estate? I've had a letter today from department of work and pensions saying that £4,700 is owed out the estate. But I'm getting conflicting information whether the death in service payment is part of my mother's estate or not?

See #16 Silvertabby.

Are you absolutely certain you are the DIS beneficiary?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    But I'm getting conflicting information whether the death in service payment is part of my mother's estate or not?
    Depends on whether it's in "trust".
    IME most are so if that's true then it wouldn't be part of her estate.
    If it's in trust then who it's paid to is at the discretion of the trustees.
    They usually go with the expression of wish and if you are the only sibling and there there is no spouse then it would seem an obvious result.
    However if she put someone else (like a now deceased spouse) then it might take a little longer to sort out.

I completely understand why things don't get done straightaway. After my FIL dies we spent the first 3 weeks arranging the funeral and felt it was quite important that the music and readings were right etc.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 7:07PM

Sorry if this sounds picky... It's just that I spent nearly 20 years working out what LGPS pensioners really meant when they asked questions.....

:)

Not picky at all! I know exactly how it feels to try to work out what somebody means when they ask a question (*).

But look on the bright side - you are perfectly qualified to tease out what many of the OPs on these boards actually mean when they are confused or unclear.

(*) Happened at work all the time, but some people get a bit shirty if they think you are "interrogating" them. Bit like the poor OP who withdrew from this board earlier this week because she thought replies were "unkind" and "critical" of the way she expressed herself. I say "poor" because if he or she had persevered I'm sure they would have got useful advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure