unfair night shift system

Options
I'm a nurse working full time in the NHS. I do approx 6 nights per month in two batches of 3 nights. Now, a new system is to be implemented whereas nights are set for each month. Bascially I know which dates in a given month I'll be working nights. My problem is that if I want to take annual leave and I'm due to work nights I have to swop with a colleague so my nights are covered.

I feel this is unfair really. If I don't get the swop I can't take the leave. And since when did anyone ever have to get their AL covered themselves!!

Further, I hate nights and I view my AL as the chance to do less nights during the month. In this new system I'll still have to do 6 nights in a month even if I take two of the weeks as AL. This seems really wrong. We've complained and signed a petition but it has come to nothing. I would like to take this matter further but am wondering whether I have grounds to and indeed who could help me? Maybe my union?

I want to take 2 weeks in May but.. yes.. all my nights are in this period. If I can't get a swop I'll miss my graduation and a family wedding. It stinks.

can anyone offer any suggestions?
£2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019

Comments

• GUMPO
    GUMPO Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    My shift pattern has no holidays at all (they are all factored in to begin with) and every shift off relies on swaps. I never thought it could work but as long as you have a good mix of people in the same job it does.

I often swap a Saturday night shift to go out and work a thursday for a guy who plays darts. Also you get people (like me) who prefer nights and will jump at the chance to swap so don't dispair.

Your union rep is your first port of call for a complaint but make sure that evryone (or at least most) will back him/her when they put the complaint forward on your behalf.

If all else fails pretend to be happy with the system then go sick.
    FREE THE WM3
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt anyone enjoys night shift, but it is part of the job and someone has to do it and like GUMPO I would suggest there are many in a similar position.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My problem is that if I want to take annual leave and I'm due to work nights I have to swop with a colleague so my nights are covered.
    You should be able to take prebooked holiday without having to do this.
    It means you are dependant on a colleagues agreement regarding your holidays.

It should be up to management to cover these situations.

peter999
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your A/L should be taken at a mutually agreeable time and in terms of you being required to arrange shift cover to facilitate this is wrong.Take this to your union for support.I'd consider invoking the grievence machinery however if you do this be aware it is a formal procedure and you will have to prepare and present a robust statement of case which form what you've described shouldn't be too difficult.First port of call though should be to obtain the leave poilcy document and make yourself aware of what the policy is.You can obtain this from your intranet or from HR.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I want to take 2 weeks in May but.. yes.. all my nights are in this period. If I can't get a swop I'll miss my graduation and a family wedding. It stinks.

can anyone offer any suggestions?
    Hi, Can't helpwith your other queries but don't suppose one of the weeks you want off in May is the last one? If it is that's the week the schools are off. My friend is a nurse and she frequently changes her shifts to weekend nights during the hols to enable her to be off with her kids and not need childcare. Just thought this may be of help if you're trying to find someone to swap with.
  • john.xs
    john.xs Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    go off sick like everybody else does!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business