Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - £2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 93
    • Jottlebot
    • By Jottlebot 19th Sep 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jottlebot
    Local Borough Council: Shropshire
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £2300 (hopefully!)
    Annual saving going forward: £400ish

It was a bit of work and a few emails back and forth, but just found out today we've been successful. Don't know how we'll get the refund, no doubt it will take some chasing up. We're just waiting for the paperwork from the Valuation Office, which will hopefully explain what happens next. Well worth it in the end, although some swearing and hair-pulling was involved early on in the process when nothing we provided seemed to be right.
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 16th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    robertoegg
    Local Borough Council: Shropshire
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £2300 (hopefully!)
    Annual saving going forward: £400ish

It was a bit of work and a few emails back and forth, but just found out today we've been successful. Don't know how we'll get the refund, no doubt it will take some chasing up. We're just waiting for the paperwork from the Valuation Office, which will hopefully explain what happens next. Well worth it in the end, although some swearing and hair-pulling was involved early on in the process when nothing we provided seemed to be right.
    Originally posted by Jottlebot
    Our refund came through pronto....BACS into our account we pay out of..

We're with Waverley, banded at E for a 2up/2down which I thought was way over. Found examples of like for like being less or clearly more valuable properties the same band and presented this to the Valuation Office. 9 weeks later, rebranded down to D. £1400 into the bank account in the next couple of days, £417 better off a year moving ahead. Cheers MSE!
    • Kjp06
    • By Kjp06 16th Oct 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kjp06
    I applied for rebanding back in August and forgot all about it until a phone call last week asking for some details about our property. Then through the door Monday came a big pile of recalculated council tax bills all the way back to 2006!
    Band Before. E
    Band now. D
    Refunded: over £3700
    Saving going forward: £393.88

A quick search on the gov website showed that my house was 2 band higher than those around me. My house is slightly different style to those so I looked at one around the corner almost identical which was also 2 bands lower. So I went for it. Really straight forward process and most definetly worth the wait for the end result which has been deposited in my bank today

Thanks MSE
    • W Clifton
    • By W Clifton 19th Oct 18, 6:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    W Clifton
    £2054 refunded due to being in wrong band
    Local Borough Council: Birmingham
    Council Tax Band Before: F
    Council Tax Band After: E
    Amount refunded: £2054
    Annual saving going forward: £90ish

Following Martins step by step process was very simple in helping to identify that we were in the wrong tax band. When I called the Valuation office they went through some questions regarding my property and those of similar build surrounding me. I not only looked at my street but the next one up aswell with the same houses which strengthened my case. They confirmed passed criteria to be refered to council and got a call yesterday from local council to confirm wrong band and the refund due. Thank you Martin for helping us!
    • The Magnificent Spoon
    • By The Magnificent Spoon 26th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    The Magnificent Spoon
    I've just contacted the valuation office (via the online form) asking for a revaluation. My property is in band C, but I believe it should be A (B at most):

I purchased the property (build in 2004) just a couple of years ago for only £106k. Its not an expensive property - interest calcuation puts this at approximately £38k value in 1991, band A.

All the other properties in my block are band B, except for mine and one other. They are all approximately the same value. (as confirmed by all recent sold prices).

Apartments in the two other blocks next to ours are all band A, except for the larger 3 bedroomed, more expensive apartments, which are all band B.

All properties in the same area/town as ours, of the same value, are all band A, with a few band B.

Hopefully it will be a good result - I'll update when I hear back!
    • ctsoton
    • By ctsoton 29th Oct 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ctsoton
    Having a bit of a nightmare with my council tax banding, the VOA already rejected my claim a few years ago. Have just got them to take another look at it.

I bought a 1 bed 600sq ft apartment in July 2015 for £144k. It is in Band B

This is the same band as the 2 x 700 sq ft 2 bed apartments above me that sold for £175k.

And also the same as 2-3 bed houses as big as 946sq foot on the same development that sold for £220k-£230k!

I sent the council scans of the marketing brochure for the development which show the layouts, sizes and tax bands, but they've said I need different/better evidence.

What's stranger is that most of the houses are Band B except for a couple, which despite being identical to their neighbours are on Band C!
    • Cathcart
    • By Cathcart 8th Nov 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cathcart
    Council Tax Banding result
    After 14 years and 3 appeals with a Data Information Request after last decline and further request for review the VOA have re-banded our house from a D to a C after increasing it after we moved in.
    • MissBoss
    • By MissBoss 16th Jan 19, 8:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MissBoss
    Council Tax Rebanding Success
    Local Council: Glasgow
    Band before appeal: E
    Band after appeal: D
    Amount refunded: £7,736
    Annual amount saved going forward: £500

After listening to Martin talk about checking your council tax banding, I went onto Glasgow City Councilís website. I found out that a lot of the houses in our estate that are exactly the same as ours, were a band lower than what our house was. I decided to make an appeal and after the assessor came out and looked at our property, we received a letter to say our Council Tax banding was being dropped from an E to a D. We have lived in our house for 24 years so have just received a refund for our overpayment. The amount we have had refunded is only the overpayment but I will be writing to ask for interest on this amount as the council have been charging me wrongly over a long period of time. Iím sure if I owed them money for that long, they wouldnít accept just the bottom figure.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Jan 19, 1:52 PM
    • 11,387 Posts
    • 9,766 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The amount we have had refunded is only the overpayment but I will be writing to ask for interest on this amount as the council have been charging me wrongly over a long period of time. Iím sure if I owed them money for that long, they wouldnít accept just the bottom figure.
    Originally posted by MissBoss
    I am not certain about Scottish CT legislation, but as English CT legislation makes no reference to paying interest on refunded overpayments, English councils will not pay such interest and could be criticised by the auditors if they did so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,039Posts Today

8,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin