Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • bexhill
    • By bexhill 26th Sep 18, 9:18 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    bexhill
    I check my credit score to check that no misinformation has been registered in my name by criminal or other means.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 26th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 5,734 Posts
    • 33,637 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    No

No

No
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 26th Sep 18, 9:47 PM
    • 33,366 Posts
    • 21,002 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Absolutely, that's exactly what I do.
    Originally posted by Money.Saver.2020
    You did say you check your score

I check my credit score to check that no misinformation has been registered in my name by criminal or other means.
    Originally posted by bexhill
    Dont, no 1 but you dont even see your score, lenders see your credit history.
    • Rosie1980
    • By Rosie1980 27th Sep 18, 10:54 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Rosie1980
    I access Experian via MSE credit club (which is by far the most useful free service), Callcredit via Noddle and Equifax via Clearscore once a month. I access them to check for any changes on my report. Usually as a cautionary ID fraud measure but in recent months to give me an indication of credit I could be accepted for.

I think it is great that I can access this information freely every month. So that I can deal with any problems quickly should they arise.

I use all three so that I have covered all bases.
    • Stephenmac
    • By Stephenmac 30th Sep 18, 5:45 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Stephenmac
    If you want to help our investigation, please send an email with your views to experian.clearscore@cma.gov.uk

I done what was asked in the 1st post.
    • arthur2
    • By arthur2 1st Oct 18, 10:32 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    arthur2
    ClearScore has proved almost worthless for me. It gives a very poor credit rating , yet the other two (MSE & Noddle) give Good to Excellent ones!
    --
    Arthur
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Oct 18, 10:40 AM
    • 20,142 Posts
    • 21,485 Thanks
    zx81
    ClearScore has proved almost worthless for me. It gives a very poor credit rating , yet the other two (MSE & Noddle) give Good to Excellent ones!
    Originally posted by arthur2
    Why would that impact checking what the data they hold on you?

It's like saying Experian is useless because their logo is blue.
    • Paul65essex
    • By Paul65essex 1st Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul65essex
    Credit report agencies
    I had to join 4 credit agencies to rectify a problem that was stopping me refinancing, all rectified the problem but Experian did not, consequently I had to struggle for 2.5 years and getting into more debt as I could not refinance.
    I eventually found out that Experian who I joined first had not removed a dispute, which was blocking me from getting credit. and when I complained they offered me £50 for the inconvenience of destroying my life for 2.5 years and costing me thousands of pounds in interest as I had to run up my credit cards to survive.
    They definitely need investigating,
    I think there should only be one credit agency and they should be held responsible for the damage they cause to peoples lives.
    Last edited by Paul65essex; 01-10-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: letter missing at the end
    • creamsalad
    • By creamsalad 1st Oct 18, 12:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    creamsalad
    I check my credit file every few years & I usually use Experian because its the most widely used by companies... For a comprehensive check I should also always use the other... 2 companies Callcredit & Equifax? 👀
    I'm tired of all these companies popping out that check your credits & score... 😑
    Anyway, no much point in checking your score, and there should only be 1 ONE agency fully responsible! (or no more than 2) .
    Back to the merger, then better having to deal with one company only, so probably it's ok to merge.
  • CMA Communications
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your views on this thread - they've been really useful for our work!

To give you an update on where we are with our investigation, we've now provisionally found that Experian's proposed takeover of ClearScore is likely to weaken competition and have a negative effect on the services offered to customers. You can read more on GOV.UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/merger-of-credit-score-firms-could-reduce-competition-in-sector

We're now asking for people's views on our provisional findings - if you'd like to share your views, please continue to post on this thread or email: Experian.Clearscore@cma.gov.uk

Thanks again!
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the Competitions and Markets Authority.

MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • Breadcake
    • By Breadcake 3rd Dec 18, 1:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Breadcake
    Why do you use Experian or ClearScore's services?
    I use both to check my credit reports are a true reflection of my current circumstances.
    What do you think about the services they provide?
    I use experian via the MSE Credit Club which makes access free (updated monthly), and Clearscore which is free. Both of these meet my needs.

We're now asking for people's views on our provisional findings
    I find myself agreeing with the provisional findings.

If Experian take over a competitor who offers their services for free would they still have a vested interest in the Experian/MSE Credit Club? I see the MSE Credit Club as Experian's answer to Clearscore while at the same time it is not advertised on their website taking the shine off their £14.99/month offering.

While Statutory Reports and Subject Access Requests are free I find completing these forms and the delays in response are a step backwards from the ease of opening an app or logging onto a website.
    Last edited by Breadcake; 03-12-2018 at 1:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,225Posts Today

8,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin