PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatening letter from council

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Excuse my inability to get my text and quotes in the right place.
  • jon8871 wrote: »
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations

It's not really about being poor - just about responding to letters because that's the way things are set up in society, it's assumed that letters sent to someone's address will be read by them. I've had "threatening" (maybe firmly worded would be more accurate) letters because my student council tax exemption didn't go through properly and because the neighbouring block complained about our bin store. It happens, it's a part of being an adult that sometimes things go wrong and you have to respond to the letter alerting you to the problem.

It's also inevitable that sometimes work will be needed in a home that is inconvenient. Rewiring is messy; there is no way around that. I'm going to do it in my flat soon though - voluntarily, and pay for it, because it needs to be done. That's life, not always fun.

I really think you'll do better to focus your energy on dealing with these things constructively instead of fighting with the council about the wording of their letters. Best of luck with it all :)
  • When you get around to phoning the council on Monday, please don't take your anger out on the member of staff who answers your call. It's not their fault you didn't open your post, nor will they have been the one who sent you the letter. Council call centre staff are real people with feelings, who go to work to pay their rent & mortgages, taxes and bills. Being shouted at for a living is demoralising and not great for mental health.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    HampshireH wrote: »
    Excuse my inability to get my text and quotes in the right place.

You are missing the closing "]" from the intial "[QUOTE".... and it appears to have moved itself to near the end of the post. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Not just a home, but one that you’ve lived in for 30 years at a subsidised rate. I don’t think your “complaint” is going to have an effect since they’ve done nothing wrong.
  • My friend is poor and in a council house too. She's just had a brand new kitchen installed - she even got to choose it. Wish I could afford one ...
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • EssexGirl wrote: »
    When you get around to phoning the council on Monday, please don't take your anger out on the member of staff who answers your call. It's not their fault you didn't open your post, nor will they have been the one who sent you the letter. Council call centre staff are real people with feelings, who go to work to pay their rent & mortgages, taxes and bills. Being shouted at for a living is demoralising and not great for mental health.

I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
  • It's not really about being poor - just about responding to letters because that's the way things are set up in society, it's assumed that letters sent to someone's address will be read by them. I've had "threatening" (maybe firmly worded would be more accurate) letters because my student council tax exemption didn't go through properly and because the neighbouring block complained about our bin store. It happens, it's a part of being an adult that sometimes things go wrong and you have to respond to the letter alerting you to the problem.

It's also inevitable that sometimes work will be needed in a home that is inconvenient. Rewiring is messy; there is no way around that. I'm going to do it in my flat soon though - voluntarily, and pay for it, because it needs to be done. That's life, not always fun.

I really think you'll do better to focus your energy on dealing with these things constructively instead of fighting with the council about the wording of their letters. Best of luck with it all :)

It is about being poor, if I could afford to buy the house tomorrow, they would have no right to come in and rewire. I have no choice as I am poor, and have to do what the council say. And if it's that unsafe why I have been able to live here for the last 12 years
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jon8871 wrote: »
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations

If they're rewiring your home then that's a very big job.... it's also a very expensive one that they appear to be doing for free.... if you don't want it done perhaps you can send them my way, nobody's ever asked or forced me to get home improvement work done for free
  • Sibz wrote: »
    If they're rewiring your home then that's a very big job.... it's also a very expensive one that they appear to be doing for free.... if you don't want it done perhaps you can send them my way, nobody's ever asked or forced me to get home improvement work done for free

I pay council tax, I am assuming that is how its funded. It wont be a home improvent, the electric will work just the same lol, with all plastic tubing up the walls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure