Cold draft / Condensation - Faulty Beading?

Comments

• Yeah, that does make sense, but what's the solution to fix this issue?

Replacing that window unit to one that fits the brickwork !

I'm having this particular window replaced next week, then i'll get to see the full extent of the bodged job that was done here.

I've had the same thing, in this house, with another window and a front door :mad:
  • halifaxmortgage
    halifaxmortgage Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2018 at 6:14PM
    Sorry for the late reply guys. I tried something yesterday, which was to temporarily block the TRICKLE VENT
    IMG-20181105-135801.jpg on the outside with silicon sealant...

However firstly this trickle vent does not go through the profile all the way onto the inside. Secondly since blocking the vent, I can feel even more air than before at the bottom of the window. This makes me think that ytfcmad is correct in that there is void under the bay window and the air is pushing up through the cavity/window-sill

My question is, could I not take off the silicon that is at the bottom of the window and the sill and then force expanding foam through the gap?

FYI, the gap, once the silicon comes off is approx 1 cm, i.e enough to put the foam bottle straw through it.
  • that's a drainage slot not a trickle vent
  • SatanicHare? What an idiot I am... I'll have to unblock this again.
  • hi i know you say you've done "a candle test" but bear in mind that cold air is denser than warm air so naturally falls. Don't discount the problem being on another part of the window. It may be an idea to get a d/g repair or window installer to have a look before you spend any money on fixing something that may not be faulty
  • hi i know you say you've done "a candle test" but bear in mind that cold air is denser than warm air so naturally falls. Don't discount the problem being on another part of the window. It may be an idea to get a d/g repair or window installer to have a look before you spend any money on fixing something that may not be faulty

Hi Satanic,

I've cleared the blocked drains.

Upon your suggestion, I've also had a d/g installer out today. He said he couldn't see anything wrong with the windows as such. He advised that from the date of the glass, these windows were installed approx 2005, which according to him aren't that old.

He said other than dealing with extraction of moisture, which I've already done, I could leave the windows on lock every night, so that air can circulate, he couldn't think of any other suggestions.

I think that is not the solution because:
    1. It would make the property unsafe and an easy target for burglars as they could easily pry open the windows.
    2. I would have a lot of heat loss, which would make the house freezing cold and contradicts the point of having energy efficient double-glazed windows.
  • Can anyone help please with the above?

Thanks
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2018 at 6:53PM
    Unfortunately trying to eliminate condensation is always a trade off: lifestyle choices, heating and ventilation. Within that there is generally a cost implication, be that buying, installing or running your extractor or heating.

Opening window(s) a crack at night does not necessarily make a home "freezing cold" - esp. if your heating is off at night or doors are closed - and there are security locks available.

The alternatives include a plug-in dehumidifier, positive input ventilation unit or heat recovery ventilation unit. But the latter two might be akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Post a picture from the inside showing the whole window and one showing the bottom where it joins the window cill.

If you dont clear out that drainage slot water will back up and your DGU will break down.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't bother with the expanding foam for two reasons.

Too much and the expansion could course a problem.

Secondly the void below the window, if there is one will run down for a few feet so you will need a good few tins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure