Wireless Mouse freezing

I'm using a wireless logitech mouse, and twice this has happened. When I load the computer the mouse works for a while then the arrow freezes and won't move. So I change the battery and remove the dongle at the back of the tower before replacing it. Then turn on the tower and the cursor has vanished. I've only had this mouse since last month, because I had the same problem with my last mouse (also a logitech).

Am I better getting a wired mouse?

many thanks.

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does it get any better if you get closer to the receiver?
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I took the dongle out at the back of the tower and blew on oit and put it back in. Seems ok for now, but worried it'll happen again.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    I have used a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard for years and never had the problem that you have.Check the mouse can "see" the dongle,might pay to put it on a short usb extension cable and move it nearer the mouse.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Dirt on mouse or battery are the usual culprits .
    Then drivers for mouse then cable connections .
    You installed the Logitech drivers ??
  • Aura
    You installed the Logitech drivers ??
    PC picked it up as soon as I inserted the dongle into the back of the tower.

How do I reinstall the mouse for the drivers? is there a thing which can check the drivers please?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have seen this before and resolved it by simply using a different USB port for the receiver.
    Preferably one that is NOT super speed (USB3 / Blue inside)
  • Aura
    Thanks, never noticed this. Blue as inside the usb port?
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 10:37PM
    Aura wrote: »
    Thanks, never noticed this. Blue as inside the usb port?
    if it is older, then it will not have usb 3
    usb-2.0-vs-3.0-cable-i9.jpg
    How quickly and regularly does this happen? if the answer is soon and a lot, then go to a friend and plug the mouse into their PC and test it.

However there is an issue with these usb adapters as they operate also in the 2.4ghz range and so does your wifi and in some case you wifi can blot out the usb signal?

How to check? move the usb adaptor the furthest distance away from the antenna you can. Do check it on someone elses PC. Changing the router channel may help too, but I am unsure how logitech decides what channel is is going to use, some say it is 6?. Use usb extender cable. Avoid the blue ones -for mouse/keyboard.

Send the mouse back and get one from another manufacture? I have 3 wireless mice (1) from Ms and the batteries last 4 days (2) Red Bull mouse, old full size dongle, works well but it virtually obliterates my wifi. (3) a Lovely logiteck mouse with a very long battery life and a fantastic speed wheel, but on wormax (game) it is not responsive enough. I got a wired one and have no issues.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm using a wireless logitech mouse, and twice this has happened. When I load the computer the mouse works for a while then the arrow freezes and won't move. So I change the battery and remove the dongle at the back of the tower before replacing it. Then turn on the tower and the cursor has vanished. I've only had this mouse since last month, because I had the same problem with my last mouse (also a logitech).

Am I better getting a wired mouse?

many thanks.

I've had "similar" issues.

Several things to try.
    * If you use Chrome (and this is where i experienced the problem - ie, when moving the mouse over a Chrome window) then install the "Logitech Smooth Scrolling" Chrome extension (Available free)
    * Ensure there are no other USB devices in the port next to the receiver. If so move it or the receiver
    * Try a different port.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    PC picked it up as soon as I inserted the dongle into the back of the tower.

How do I reinstall the mouse for the drivers? is there a thing which can check the drivers please?

Whats in the ports beside it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport