20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Blimey, diden't realise that you only had 6 weeks left at work.
    It will fly in.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I still have a cold. I hope it will be gone tomorrow as I am due back at work.

I haven’t done much today but I drove to the DIY centre for a garden rake. They were getting rid of their paint, 5 litres for £2.50. I picked up a pinky pebble colour and a chalky green that I will use for feature walls. I can do those once the lovely decorator has done her job. Gloss was 75p. I bought 3 tins of gloss because it was all pale cream and I have cream doors upstairs. :money: I am going to try doing the doors myself. It can’t be that hard to do can it?

Courgettes are 90p a kilo in Lid1.:money: I got loads. I will make a batch of courgette, coriander and lentil soup, too tired today but I will make it tomorrow

The temperature has risen a little so I can manage with blankets and a hot water bottle and save on the heating :money:

Sofa and TV evening for me

I hope your week got off to a good start :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • GOAL: Losing 20 kilos (3 stones 1lb) before 2020

I have taken a few days off no sugar and no alcohol after a month of doing neither. I have had a few glasses of wine, tortilla chips, dark chocolate. I enjoyed them but do not want any more of any of them. They have not started a spiral of poor eating. I needed to know I could control them and it seems I can.;)

I suspected coffee affected my blood sugar sending it on a rollercoaster of high and low, when it crashed I used sugar to give me some energy. I still have coffee (I love it!) But I have it before 11.00. I sleep better now as a result.:)

I am still staying away from scales as I want to get away from celebrating a pound lost here or feeling down at a weight gain. I want to make life changes, a marathon, not a sprint. Instead I am using my body to tell me how I am doing: bones reappearing, an extra notch on my belt, my skirts falling to rest on my hips because my waist has shrunk, crossing my legs more easily, wearing clothes a size down.

My new step towards health will be to eat over an 8 hour window and not eat at all after 6pm. This is supposed to be helpful in controlling blood sugars and reducing inflammation generally.

I want to stay flexible and not be fixed so as long as my weight, cholesterol, blood sugar and BP fall I will keep to this plan 80% of the time.

Adequate exercise remains the missing component :o

Today I booked a GP appointment for a month’s time to get my weight and other health markers tested. I will report back here.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,840
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wow DIA - you've really taken the bull by the horns and come out winning! :j

I'm sure you will achieve your goals, and as Sinatra sang - You'll do it your way.:D
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • You're really taking your health seriously which is brilliant DIA. As you say the only missing component is exercise. You need to find something you enjoy. The thing that gets me out of the door on my walks, is that I know I will sleep better and feel less tense after my walk.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,905
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So finding some exercise I enjoy was my problem as I loved the indoor rowing machine but I got tendonitis so had to stop and never really replaced it

I think its a real bonus to find something you enjoy - but you DO have to find something that you can endure - and a very brisk walk for a mile or so might ust be the easiest thing - not massive calories, but good for health and metabolism. Plus at its simplest its free and close to home (so long as its safe)

Now am I doing that - er no, but I b****y well should be
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • I love walking in the park because it makes me feel closer to nature. I see the seasons changing with new plants growing, leaves falling, spring flowers growing, plus I can spot birds and squirrels. Not that you like squirrels:rotfl: :eek:.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,938
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Wow, dia, sorry to read about your builder. I got my gutters and facias done last week and it ended up £900 over budget! BUT I was kept informed, given two different choices (one was cheaper) and like you, shown photos of the state of my roof! I didnt brave a ladder, but tbh I could see the rotten batons from the ground they were that bad! Like you November is going to be a very tight month money wise!
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I love walking in the park because it makes me feel closer to nature. I see the seasons changing with new plants growing, leaves falling, spring flowers growing, plus I can spot birds and squirrels. Not that you like squirrels:rotfl: :eek:.
    Same :o I find walking outside lovely... Far better than in a sweaty, hot gym. It can be hard to switch off and give yourself the time, but when you do it is really nice.

I'm intermittent fasting and I really enjoy it. I do aim to have an 8 hour eating window but it does depend when I finish work as sometimes it gets shortened a bit. I don't find myself being hungry at all and feel I make better food decisions. My dad has gone one step farther than me and does OMAD (one meal a day) and loves it.

Like you I'm trying not to focus on the scale. I was before and it is helpful to an extent, but I'm far more interested in noticing how my body changes. I have pronounced collar bones for the first time in years :eek:

6 weeks until the sabbatical is great! :cool: Will give you time to sort through everything and decide where you stand.

Bit late to the party, but glad to see the back of the builder!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    How are you DIA you haven't been around for a couple of days, hoping the cold hasn't made you really unwell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure