Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 October 2018 at 3:45PM
    Afternoon!

Work is keeping me busy, if raising my blood pressure a bit at the moment. It's good to have plenty of work though, although invoicing tomorrow will be a mammoth task(tusk? ;) )!

DH and I are escaping Halloween and going to the cinema tonight, what we see is as yet undecided.

B&W cat's eye is back to normal - fortunately I didn't fall for the antibiotic eye drops as the vet said it may clear up on its own and it has. This is a double relief and I didn't fancy putting the eye drops in and I'm his favourite, let alone leaving BIL to do it at the weekend! Annoying to have spent the money on a consultation, but I don't begrudge it, would rather know kitty is okay.

I have washing on the line again today as it's sunny and breezy. Hard frost though again this morning and I have the little oil-filled radiator keeping me and my office warm (bizarrely the cats don't seem bothered).

MS things:
    * Blitz on PA surveys, so I'm up to £12 now :)
    * YG survey done
    * Clicks done
    * Have chased Americans, as hope they'll pay tomorrow
    * Still no refund from HMRC, so will need to ring them *again* tomorrow

Gratitudes:
    * My mum, for her help with work (and allowing me to vent about clients!)
    * Plenty of work
    * Late opening at my zero-waste shop (and free on-street parking) :)
    * Purry kitty on my lap (appeared like a ninja just after I'd written that they weren't bothered about the warmth in here, sneezed on my lap and has gone off again! Lovely....)

Have a good afternoon all!

ETA: Americans have just confirmed I'll be paid *next* Thursday for sure.... hmm, an entire month late. However, at least I will be paid.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    What did you see at the cinema in the end? Glad your kitty's eyes cleared up without the need for eye drops! I've been really lucky with my cat, in that he very rarely needs vets treatment. I can't imagine he'd take kindly to me to giving him medication of any kind :eek:

Hope you've got all your invoicing done, work sounds super busy!

Have a lovely weekend
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    Hi Crumpets, we went to see A Star is Born. Probably a very good film, but **definitely** not my sort of film. I nearly walked out it was so depressing. DH has promised he'll take me to see First Man - at least we know they made it back from the Moon!

Fortunately, touch wood, our kitties are both pretty healthy too - this is the first vet visit this year. Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc., etc.!

Almost all invoicing done and I've finally paid myself. Rather pleased to find that there's a nice chunk for savings this month - all this frugalling is finally catching up with us!

We're off for the London to Brighton veteran car run tomorrow - this year I get to ride on (not a typo) the car! :D I'm super excited, but carefully packing thermals, hand warmer, gloves, scarf and so on!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have a great run!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What car is this you are travelling ON Vix? Sounds like great fun, enjoy :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hope you had a great time at the car run. Great news about lots of work, thats what I'm needing!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    Hi Crumpets, we went to see A Star is Born. Probably a very good film, but **definitely** not my sort of film. I nearly walked out it was so depressing. DH has promised he'll take me to see First Man - at least we know they made it back from the Moon!

I know what you mean, I absolutely loved the movie but found it quite harrowing and it affected me emotionally for a good while after I saw it (I've seen it twice too :cool:)

Hope you had a great car run today...you'll need to explain more about riding ON the car!!
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    Afternoon all!

Thanks for all your good wishes - we had a great weekend and the car run was fantastic! :D I'll upload a pic later - I've got to get techie help from DH! We made it down there in great time and the weather was fab (really quite warm for November - I didn't need the blanket or hat I'd packed, just the thermals!). We stayed in Brighton and had a lovely meal with our friends (and some new ones) - this is the event that we're not allowed (and I do mean *not allowed*) to contribute towards, so I'll need to think of a good thank you present soon. What do you buy people who have enough money for a 'Brighton car' though? (London to Brighton cars have to be proven to have been built in 1904 or earlier - because of their eligibility for the run they attract quite a premium. The cheapest go for around £40k and one sold this year for £600k!! :eek: Our friends' car was definitely towards the bargain end of the spectrum, but nonetheless...!!) It is a dream to one day own a Brighton car.... but it may be just that, a dream!

On Monday DH and I went off to the New Forest for a night (in a Travelodge, a different experience to the previous night!). We had a lovely time, a meal in Pizza Express that was fully paid for by vouchers except the tip) and lots of walking and a great pub lunch yesterday. As ever, we come back full of ideas and motivation about how to get the life we want. We just have to put it into practice (and be braver, I think, we're both very risk averse). Any tips would be most welcome!

I've done a whole load of jobs this morning, some work, but mostly life admin stuff. I tried to call HMRC about my repayment as it has **still** not come through and they keep changing the goalposts. I'll ring again tomorrow (when I'm sure they still won't have paid - the bl00dy automated woman cut me off today when I gave her the date I last spoke to them - it wasn't long enough ago, so tough!).

MS things:
    * £25 *bucks gift card claimed from SBs (and bonus 950 SBs for doing so :T ) Not a fan of
    *bucks, but it's a way to ensure we have a treat when out every now and then/gives DH an emergency rations option if out with work
    * YG survey
    * VB, MS rewards (v. close to payout now)
    * Joined Costco on Saturday. Not sure how MS this will be as very little there meets my strict requirements for food (palm oil and plastic free), however, we've got a voucher to get £20 our first online order, which will be of free-range chicken for the cats - the main reason we joined. Verdict is open on whether it'll be vfm or not.
    * Moved WGAC loo roll order back from end of Nov to end of Jan - we still have 1/2 a box!
    * No veg box this week
    * Heating not required during the day as it's so warm

Gratitudes:
    * The chance to take part in the L2B - an incredibly special experience and I feel really privileged
    * A wonderful weekend with friends
    * A great time in the New Forest plotting and planning with DH in beautiful yellow-leafed woodland (with ponies and piggies!)
    * I could go on, but I think you'd get bored! :rotfl:

Have a great afternoon all!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Awww! This sounds like you've had a fantastic few days! Brighton *and* the New Forest, wonderful stuff.

Presents for people like that ... ouch. I'd say a consumable (but I always do ...) a bottle of whisky or something, or something hand made from an artisan market - honey, chili jam, that sort of thing - there's some very swish stuff around :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    It was a great few days.

Yes, it'll be something consumable - I'm a great believer in that too. But I've done a hamper and booze before.... hmm, unless I combine the two/just up the budget a bit.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback