Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lcp93
    • By lcp93 15th May 18, 5:07 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lcp93
    Credit check without consent.
    • 15th May 18, 5:07 AM
    Credit check without consent. 15th May 18 at 5:07 AM
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a new property and the energy supplier has completed a 'hard' credit check on me without my permission which has of course negatively impacted my credit score. I am obviously upset about this especially considering the fact I have not confirmed to the company that I will be the bill-payer at the property. I used to work for said company a few years back and consent was always required (over the phone) to conduct credit checks but I'm not sure if this has changed. Are companies allowed to do this and if not, is there a particular complaints procedure I should follow?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th May 18, 5:27 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 20,225 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th May 18, 5:27 AM
    • 15th May 18, 5:27 AM
    Their complaints procedure should be on their website.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 15th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 15th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:51 AM
    Have you made an application to this company for the supply of energy and/or are they currently supplying you with energy on credit (ie not a prepayment meter)?
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 15th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 16,117 Posts
    • 22,956 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 15th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:30 AM
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a new property and the energy supplier has completed a 'hard' credit check on me without my permission which has of course negatively impacted my credit score. ...
    Originally posted by lcp93
    Your credit score is largely meaningless. It's nothing to get upset about.

I am obviously upset about this especially considering the fact I have not confirmed to the company that I will be the bill-payer at the property. I used to work for said company a few years back and consent was always required (over the phone) to conduct credit checks but I'm not sure if this has changed. Are companies allowed to do this and if not, is there a particular complaints procedure I should follow?...
    Originally posted by lcp93
    You have a deemed contract with the energy supplier. You have obviously contacted them and identified yourself. I'd suspect that consent to credit checks would be in the deemed contract somewhere.
    • sargeantsalt
    • By sargeantsalt 16th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sargeantsalt
    • 16th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:22 PM
    The energy company can credit check you without your consent because it is up to the CRA and the energy company not you.

The very idea that your consent is required is a myth spread to reassure the public that they have rights.

If you are not happy, you have the right to change energy supplier to one who does not credit check.
    • luvsmoothies
    • By luvsmoothies 18th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    luvsmoothies
    • 18th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 18th May 18, 2:33 PM
    I think if you have a credit meter i believe it's standard for a supplier to do a credit check: OVO did when I switched to them.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 27,735 Posts
    • 11,241 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 19th May 18, 9:06 PM
    I assume your a US or CA user? This is a UK site.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

10,024Users online

Martin's Twitter