Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,725Posts
    • 997Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Experian to buy Clearscore
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    Experian to buy Clearscore 15th Mar 18 at 11:49 AM
    Could this mean no more free credit reports from them?

It's also strange that it's not Equifax, whom Clearscore poll their data from?

https://clearscore.com/blog/clearscore-to-be-acquired-by-experian
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 18,026 Posts
    • 19,236 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    It's still be free - but the move suggests they will use Experian data rather than Equifax, which would make them a direct competitor to the MSE Credit Club.

Equifax have not had a good year...
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 15th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Very interesting although the wording is curious.

"Earlier today we announced that we intend to be acquired by Experian."

Here's some more information

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clearscore-m-a-experian/credit-data-firm-experian-to-buy-fintech-clearscore-for-275-million-pounds-idUSKCN1GR17M

https://www.ft.com/content/0aadd96e-2839-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0
    Last edited by RG2015; 15-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    Indeed - interesting.

So no more free reports from Equifax presumably?

Unless MSE fancies a change of provider - or taking on an additional

More info: https://www.ft.com/content/0aadd96e-2839-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

"Experian, the credit data company, is snapping up the millennial-focused fintech group ClearScore for 275m in a move to capitalise on the start-up!!!8217;s success in matching members lured by its free membership model with financial products providers that pay it a fee."
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    It looks like they're keeping the brands split as well:

http://www.experianplc.com/media/news/2018/experian-agrees-to-acquire-clearscore/

"The acquisition of ClearScore will combine two well-known, high growth UK consumer brands, both of which will be retained. It will also bring together two businesses with complementary assets and skills to improve outcomes for consumers. We expect ClearScore to benefit from Experian!!!8217;s broad data assets, analytical capabilities and distribution, while Experian will benefit from ClearScore!!!8217;s skill in developing services which are appealing and easy to use, as well as an agile culture accomplished at keeping its membership engaged. In addition, ClearScore will help to accelerate our ambitions to provide services to consumers internationally, having recently launched a service in South Africa."
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 15th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    Indeed - interesting.

So no more free reports from Equifax presumably?

Unless MSE fancies a change of provider - or taking on an additional

More info: https://www.ft.com/content/0aadd96e-2839-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

"Experian, the credit data company, is snapping up the millennial-focused fintech group ClearScore for 275m in a move to capitalise on the start-up!!!8217;s success in matching members lured by its free membership model with financial products providers that pay it a fee."
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I was one of the hacked so I have free access to Equifax reports which can be updated daily if I want. One of the silver linings in the Equifax cloud and I didn't need to submit any new personal data to get it.

Therefore I wouldn't miss Clearscore for Equifax in the short term (at least one. maybe two years).

It is surprising though that the content differs so much between Equifax and Experian.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    It is surprising though that the content differs so much between Equifax and Experian.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Which content are you referring to?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 15th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    Which content are you referring to?
    I was really just thinking about third party searches. I would have expected hard searches to appear on both but in the main they just appear on Experian.

The data on my credit accounts and personal information such as electoral roll is consistent across all three CRAs.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 18,026 Posts
    • 19,236 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    Experian is still the most used CRAs amongst lenders, although they all go in and out of fashion.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It depends which CRA the creditor reports to.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 16th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    I've also got the email today.

I notice they are vague about which credit file you will be able to access in the future, just stating You will always be able to see your credit report and score for free, forever with ClearScore .

Presumably they will be switching to giving access to Experian credit files rather than Equifax?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I've also got the email today.

I notice they are vague about which credit file you will be able to access in the future, just stating You will always be able to see your credit report and score for free, forever with ClearScore .

Presumably they will be switching to giving access to Experian credit files rather than Equifax?
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    I asked on Facebook and was given the same response - no confirmation as to which CRA you will get your data from now.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    MABLE
    I asked on Facebook and was given the same response - no confirmation as to which CRA you will get your data from now.
    They are hardly likely to use the competitors site.
    • MrWB
    • By MrWB 15th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    MrWB
    They are hardly likely to use the competitors site.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Actually, I think that they might just do this, subject to being able to strike a deal that works for both Equifax and Clearscore/Experian.

This would mean that people wanting their free credit reports (and unfortunatley scores) would go to MSE Credit Club for Experia and Clearscore for Equifax - they'd get the traffic, and the credit matching (and referral fees where used) for two out of the three CRA reports.

It would make good business sense to use a competitor in this way.... As long as a deal could be struck, that is!
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 12:44 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Which, if any, are the better ones to use. Experian is the most recognisable name, but are they any good?

Any others worth a look?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 7:59 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You need to check all your reports with Experian, Equifax and CallCredit
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 16th May 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    RG2015
    Which, if any, are the better ones to use. Experian is the most recognisable name, but are they any good?

Any others worth a look?
    Originally posted by Regan55
    It is important to check all three credit reporting agencies (CRAs) just in case one has made a mistake as this may then be reported to finance providers.

Experian is the most widely used by finance companies with Equifax next and Callcredit last.

I check all three for free as detailed below and they all are reporting my financial history correctly. However, the search records are different as different finance companies use different CRAs.

Free Reports
    Experian via Money Saving Expert Credit Club
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Callcredit via Noddle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,673Posts Today

4,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin