Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 19th May 14, 5:51 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    What your credit score really means
    • 19th May 14, 5:51 PM
    What your credit score really means 19th May 14 at 5:51 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 12
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 6th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Funny stuff this scoring. On the verge of excellent with Equifax, on the verge of Very Poor with Experian with identical data.
    Originally posted by GM1880

Which just goes to prove, yet again, and as has been stated on this forum about a million times - your score / rating as imagined by the CRAs is totally meaningless. The factual data contained in your credit history is the ONLY thing that's important.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 6th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    GM1880
    And as I prefixed yet again in the previous post, I appreciate that. The purpose of logging the difference was to prove exactly that point.
    • harvey654321
    • By harvey654321 9th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harvey654321
    HMRC debt referral
    Hi all

Could really use a bit of advice if anyone can help and thanks in advance!

Basically did not cancel my receipt of child benefits (from my child born in 2010) after the rules changed (my partner is over the earnings threshold for receiving this benefit) and so HMRC contacted him to pay it back. They said we had to complete all sorts of forms and overdue tax returns and repay the money, in the midst of all this admin which went on for a few months they referred the debt to a collection agency. We paid the total debt promptly but has the referral itself to the agency caused a mark to go on the credit file? We are trying to buy a new house and are having some problems getting a mortgage despite having otherwise very good credit history and good wages. I am concerned that the debt referral has caused this rejection.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,834 Thanks
    zx81
    Could you not spam the same question repeatedly please.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5807910
    • harvey654321
    • By harvey654321 9th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harvey654321
    I am new to forums/threads/posting....I tried 3 times but nothing was happening, then they all appeared at once- spamming was not the intention
    • HomerSue40
    • By HomerSue40 15th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HomerSue40
    Can I ask I have a PCP credit agreement with ford for my car so after I've paid 50% I can hand it back they have advised me that if I do this it will put a flag on my credit score what does this mean?? They said it goes on for 6 years??!!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,834 Thanks
    zx81
    It means that your credit file(s) will show that your settled it early.

Nothing shows on your credit score because there is no credit score.
  • jamesd
    Can I ask I have a PCP credit agreement with ford for my car so after I've paid 50% I can hand it back they have advised me that if I do this it will put a flag on my credit score what does this mean?? They said it goes on for 6 years??!!
    Originally posted by HomerSue40
    There are two ways to hand it back, the good one is voluntary termination and all it shows is that the agreement ended, not any form of negative comment. The other way is voluntary surrender which lets them take more money from you.

You may find the voluntary termination letter linked from here useful to reduce the chance of them trying to treat it as a surrender.
    • Lillou123
    • By Lillou123 4th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lillou123
    What to do to improve my credit score
    Hi can anyone give me some advice on how to improve my credit score. I have been told by a friend to use and pay off credit cards but that sounds a bit worrying to me.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,834 Thanks
    zx81
    You ignore the credit score.

Then you use a credit card for your regular shopping and clear in full each month to build credit history.
    • eastwestcindy3
    • By eastwestcindy3 7th Apr 18, 2:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eastwestcindy3
    Credit Score Suggestions, please...
    Hello all!

I am currently working with a credit repair company for 6 months, and my credit score went up from 580 to 624.

Now it dropped back because I opened a new card and had to max it out. I got the approved for Firestone credit for $900. I had my BK discharged in February of last year.

Are those good results for 6 months. I am paying 149 a month for two people.

They have disputed a lot of things from the credit but I am just wondering if those are good results.
    Also, for credit monitoring I am using identity IQ, would you suggest something else? I am trying to go as cheap as possible so I can pay off that $900 for tires.

Thanks in advance.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 7th Apr 18, 6:18 AM
    • 12,244 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hello all!

I am currently working with a credit repair company for 6 months, and my credit score went up from 580 to 624.

Now it dropped back because I opened a new card and had to max it out. I got the approved for Firestone credit for $900. I had my BK discharged in February of last year.

Are those good results for 6 months. I am paying 149 a month for two people.

They have disputed a lot of things from the credit but I am just wondering if those are good results.
    Also, for credit monitoring I am using identity IQ, would you suggest something else? I am trying to go as cheap as possible so I can pay off that $900 for tires.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by eastwestcindy3
    Your post makes little sense to a UK reader. We certainly wouldn't advise paying anything to a 'credit repair' company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,021Posts Today

7,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin