Everyone got a payrise except me

Comments

• Timpu wrote: »
    You have a few options:
    a) Do nothing
    b) Raise with your line manager
    c) Leave the firm

a) I assume you are not interested in, given how upset you are

b) Can you go to your line manager to argue your case? I don't mean demand but ask the difficult, direct questions. Ask why you're not receiving a pay rise given your appraisals have been positive? Why are you not getting a 3% pay rise? Why are you being treated differently to others qualified to the same level? Thinking about it, has there been an oversight? Seems odd they've handed out letters in front of everyone and excluded you.

c) What salary are you likely to get elsewhere? Would there be an increase to what you get now and would it likely be more than £3k? If more, then get that CV out there so you have more options.

With the blogging and social media request, I would see this as an opportunity. It'll look fab on your CV. They have asked you for a reason, presumably as you have skills that others don't (well, in house anyway)? It's a skill they value so use it to negotiate a pay rise to the same level as your colleagues.

I'd be interested to know how this goes OP, please do update us in time.

Thank you for the advice.

I think I am going to need to bite the bullet and raise this with my employers. At least ask them question, as you suggest. I am not very good at this. In fact I have never actually asked for a pay-rise directly. So I partly have myself to blame.

I really don't think it was an oversight. I am pretty convinced it is to do with my recent automatic promotion.

I have looked around and yes I could get paid more elsewhere. A friend who recently left the office, is getting 3000£ more per annum. So I could probably make the money back within a year. However we are hoping to buy a house next year and getting married this year. So the loss of that money would be painful in the short term. We are also considering moving in a year, because we cannot afford the house prices in the city. And I really wouldn't want to start a new job, just to leave it after a year.

I believe a lot of companies employ social media consultants. But this isn't very common in my sector. And yes it might be an advantage on my CV. Although my role normally never crosses over with social media. I am the only person in my practice who had these skills. But I have been asked to advise my company simply for the reason that I should want the best for it. I spent the last three years educating myself on the topic of social media because I realise that it can be an essential skill these days.

I think I need to consider what to respond if they approach me again to set-up a meeting about their social media accounts. In their minds there is no question that I would gladly help them. I need to find a way to tell them that I know my own value, without sounding petty.

I will update this thread.
  • You can try speaking to them. It may be a simple oversight as you had a recent ruse. Simply ask why you didn’t get one and if they mention your recent one say that one actually was one due 8 months ago.

You are right. I think I need to have a discussion with my employer about this. I am pretty sure it wasn't an oversight and that in their eyes they were being fair, since they recently gave me a pay-rise. But the effect that it has had on me, is that I now feel very undervalued.
  • I think its probably because you had a rise a month ago. Though you feel this should have been higher wages have been squeezed over the last few years.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    With a year to go till the handcuffs are off time to start being more assertive.

if you have an issue with the current remuneration then you need to raise the issues and set the ground work for them to fix them before you leave.

Consulting on the social media presence is an opportunity to assert on their current attitude of you should just do it, push back if they start making promises as you can point out they have failed to keep previous ones so can't be trusted(more diplomatic that straight telling them they lie).
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    IF you had a pay rise in November I am not overly surprised they are not giving you another pay rise yet. Not many people get 2 pay rises in a year.

The past issues are past issues and should have been dealt with at the time.

As for the social media, you could maybe use that to force a pay rise or ask them to sub contract the work to you and you will invoice them and do it out of hours.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have you checked your employment terms and conditions, to see if this situation is covered there?

One of my previous employers had annual increments, but had a condition that you had to be in any promoted post for a minimum of six months to receive it.

Your situation might be due to something similar.
  • Yes they get paid less. But everyone got a payrise to match inflation. I didn't. So technical that's a pay-cut
    techincally....its not
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • techincally....its not

If your wages don!!!8217;t rise with inflation you are earning less. Companies aren!!!8217;t expected to raise pay with rates of inflation but if they don!!!8217;t you are worse of but not a pay cut.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    .... Yet the men who came .....

Here we go
  • Here we go

To be fair she’s got a point if she was being paid less than people in her position at the same firm. Not sure why you wouldn’t be on a project for six years though, perhaps not good at job. Dunno.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure