Need to find a new laptop to install Linux Mint on

Options
Hi Techies...I’m in need of some help.

My Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5741-A, has just died! It’s overheating, and on looking at some Youtube videos on how to clean it….well, it’s just too much for me! I’m a 67 year old OAP, and
taught myself how to use a laptop back in 2005.

I managed to avoid the...for me ...dreaded Windows 10, and have over the years flirted with Linux Mint! I can use it, but mostly it’s just through sheer luck, not any IT knowledge!

Anyway, I have an even older Acer Aspire (5535), which came with Vista installed, but the backlight kept going, hence my Windows 7 machine!

Anyway, after Windows 7 EOL….. and I haven’t been updating either-just been careful….I was planing to install Linux Mint Mate 18.1 on the 5535, and had made a CD of it. Fortunate that I did,’cos the 5741 stoped last night, but also fortunately, the backlight is working at the moment on the 5535, so I installed th Linux Mint OS!

But...I’m aware that this could go at any minute….a shop quoted me £140 to fix the backlight, so that’s why I bought the Windows 7 machine.

Right...I need some help with finding/buying a new...and cheap...laptop with the sole purpose of installing Linux on, but have read in several places that a lot of the cheaper laptops are now blocking this, so any ideas please?

Sorry for the long waffling post, but trying to put in all info! I use my laptop for general browsing, email Skype and watching stuff...if that’s a consideration!

Many thanks in advance, S

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <I use my laptop for general browsing, email Skype and watching stuff...>>

Would an Android tablet not cover the above for you .
  • rorrism
    rorrism Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I have shopped for laptops before (it's been a while, MacOS now) finding one without the OS included was troublesome and I imagine it will still be the case. The manufacturers see Windows as a high value add-on at low cost to the due to their volume licensing agreements. If you shop about there are still machines available which come with Windows 7 so you have a backup.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Skymist wrote: »
    Hi Techies...I’m in need of some help.

My Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5741-A, has just died! It’s overheating, and on looking at some Youtube videos on how to clean it….well, it’s just too much for me! I’m a 67 year old OAP, and
    taught myself how to use a laptop back in 2005.

I managed to avoid the...for me ...dreaded Windows 10, and have over the years flirted with Linux Mint! I can use it, but mostly it’s just through sheer luck, not any IT knowledge!

Anyway, I have an even older Acer Aspire (5535), which came with Vista installed, but the backlight kept going, hence my Windows 7 machine!

Anyway, after Windows 7 EOL….. and I haven’t been updating either-just been careful….I was planing to install Linux Mint Mate 18.1 on the 5535, and had made a CD of it. Fortunate that I did,’cos the 5741 stoped last night, but also fortunately, the backlight is working at the moment on the 5535, so I installed th Linux Mint OS!

But...I’m aware that this could go at any minute….a shop quoted me £140 to fix the backlight, so that’s why I bought the Windows 7 machine.

Right...I need some help with finding/buying a new...and cheap...laptop with the sole purpose of installing Linux on, but have read in several places that a lot of the cheaper laptops are now blocking this, so any ideas please?

Sorry for the long waffling post, but trying to put in all info! I use my laptop for general browsing, email Skype and watching stuff...if that’s a consideration!

Many thanks in advance, S

You have misunderstood. Windows 7 is supported until January 14, 2020

You need to use the laptop on a hard and flat surface.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Novatech sell machines sans o/s, but they don't "support" *ix , but that shouln't be problem. Sometimes you can get refurbs without o/s too, but you can also buy a lappy with windows and ditch it , but the license will stay with the mc, or dual boot... 67 ain't that old , it's all in the mind:eek: I too am "old"
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, I've watched the teardown video and see your point. I too wouldn't be keen on taking it almost completely apart.
    Why not buy a cheap refurb, that either has Windows 7 installed or can have Windows 7 installed to it?
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    OP, one of the kewl kids! :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get on Ebay and buy yourself a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 or T430. Bombproof laptops that were £1000 new with good Linux compatibility.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what your fear of Win 10 is based on, my suggestion would be to forget all about Linux and buy a laptop with Win 10 already installed and just use it like a normal person would.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you find a decent local independent computer bod, they'll probably get both your current machines working properly again for around £100-120....worth shopping around. Sounds like a cleanout & renew heatsink compund on the newer one, and inverter/screen cable/screen on older one...acer parts are plentiful on ebay ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You might do better posting on the Linux Mint Forums, if you haven't already, for laptop recommendations.

Having said that I think you'd be unlucky to have massive problems installing Mint on any laptop you choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure