Best oven chips?

I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
Looking for recommendations....thank you.

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We all have different tastes. There is no one answer! Do you like steak cut? French fries? Regular cut fries? Crinkle? Curly?

Why don't you just buy a packet and find out, then next time you buy some, go for another packet. I personally buy what's on offer or own brand. I never stick with one brand!
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Auntie Bessie.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious
  • Iceland do some nice Steak Cut ones £1 a bag, I have been buying them recently.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Try the ones from Aldi or Lidl.

Normal prices are from 99p for 1.5kg.

If you like coated chips- they crisp up better like roasted potatoes- both do a 1kg bag for 99p.

Lidl have just introduced a new line of steak chips. Very similar to thier coated chips but more a thicker cut but only 99p for 1.5kg.

If your are going towards more established brands go for Harry Ramsden , Aunt Bessie or Albert Bartlett. Mcain Oven chips are overrated.

With the brands look out for supermarket deals and stockup.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious

Another vote for these
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Iceland do a very nice Hash Brown chip.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    McCain Rustic chips are nice; am afraid I don’t shop at Aldi, Lidl or Iceland but would imagine they have something similar and much cheaper too.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why bother with oven chips? It is simple enough to chip potatoes, toss in some vegetable oil, lightly coat with salt and pepper and put onto the same baking paper and tray you'd do anyway! Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.

Tip - if you look at vegetable oil's ingredients there is only one - rapeseed oil, 100%. That means you can use rapeseed oil and buy it far far cheaper than if it says it on the front of the label.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Lots of people recommend these, but I found them very take-it-or-leave-it. My view is if you want chips, you can't beat triple fried - which means I only eat them on holiday. Lidl's Deluxe Handcooked S&V crisps capture the taste nicely.

My little niece loves curly fries, from Aldi I think.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure