PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS marital ethical dilemma

Options

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    I got found out. :o

DH is not amused.

yes what happened? has he got cctv in your kitchen?
    weaving through the chaos...
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Was he really violently ill and knew immediately that he'd eaten the dreaded aubergine. :rotfl:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • kay74
    kay74 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    hee hee hee! This is so funny - I have to read the thread all over again! Hee hee! thanks for making me smile:beer:
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh npsmama I do sympathise. Used to have very aged FIL living with us, he had fought in Greece during world War 1 (he was v young then) and got a slight injury. The doctor told him then (he aged all of 18 or something) that he'd never be able to eat garlic or onions and he then extended this to things like aubergines, peppers etc etc (anything he just didn't 'fancy'.) At the time I was struggling with 9 month-old twinnies and another fussy eater was ENOUGH. So I deliberately fed him onions and garlic in quantity, and where I could slipped in peppers, courgettes and aubergines. Nedless to say he was never ill, and occasionally even said he'd enjoyed his meal. Aubergines with skin are hard to disguise, but a doddle without skin. Go for it girl ! ! :beer:

Fussy eaters, especially of the older generation, are rude and silly. My OH was a very conservative eater when I met him (I suspect because his late Mum pandered to her husband's fads so my OH never had a chance to eat anything interesting or different). But he was a v goood boy and will now eat everything, especially onions and garlic and all the things his Dad pretended he 'couldn't eat'. keep at it or we'll be breeding a race of people who will only eat bread and butter ! :T :T :T :T
  • natters_2
    natters_2 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    My ex BIL never used to eat any vegetables then when he got married his new wife cooked him a full sunday roast with all the veg and he said I don't eat veg - you do now she replied and he has eaten veg ever since :)
  • scrimperjan
    Options
    I used to be married to a man whose so-called 'allergies' changed every week. At one point he decided he was allergic to bread, but not toast!!?! He was extremely suspicious of everything I cooked; and if his nose started to run or his ears started to itch he would interrogate me about what I'd put in his dinner. He really believed I was deliberately adding ingredients he was allergic to, to make him ill. And I honestly wasn't! Sad but true!
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My husband won't eat spaghetti or pasta in any form, hates courgettes and all squashes, including butternut, and says more than three spears of my homegrown asparagus, and he's "struggling to eat it all". He doesn't like purple sprouting broccoli, sweet potatoes, aubergines or anything else unfamiliar from his particular upbringing (though he buys and eats avocado pears, which certainly weren't around when he was a child in the 40s and 50s, plus endless pizzas).

I have frankly given up agonising about how to put a meal together for both of us, and cook what I like to eat myself, keeping pizzas and peas in the freezer for him when he isn't likely to eat my meals. That, plus disguising sweet potatoes in mashed potato, and so on.

Another thing I do is roast trays of chip shaped vegetables, including sweet potato and butternut as well as ordinary potatoes, and he can pick out what he can tolerate.

He does have some good points, fortunately.....
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    I too can sympathise. I used to go out with someone who when asked in hospital what his allergies were replied "raw eggs". Did he really think he was going to be given that?!:rolleyes:
    He also wouldn't eat gravy claiming it makes the rest of the dinner soggy. And he wouldn't eat anything with a bone, or sandwiches!!!!! Trying to pack a picnic was impossible. Sarnies and chicken drumsticks for me. Plain crisps for him - he didn't like flavoured ones.
    I gave up in the end and just said it's this or you go hungry or go out and buy yourself some more junk food:D

Please please tell us what happened with your hubby - we need to know

EDIT: Just had another thought. Who else gets or has been in the past, been bombarded with the phrase "I don't like it" when they've never even tried the food in question???:mad: :mad: :mad: Dries me in sane. How can you not like something when you don't know what it tastes like?!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • hjb562
    hjb562 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    my ds of 14 will try anything but dd of 11 had decided she was allergic to fish {im sure she wasnt keen on the smell} that is untill she tried scampi now she will eat prawns and salmon, just trying towork out what i can disguise fish fingers as now:rotfl:
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    Hee hee, this made me chuckle! My hubby used to refuse to eat traditional 'English' food because it was all "bland". Didn't like roasts, toad in the hole etc. I couldn't understand it until I tasted MILs Christmas dinner and discovered why. (Not being nasty but tinned veggies, frozen roasties/yorkies, reformed turkey and instant gravy are indeed bland...)

He likes my roasts though. :D

I do get a lot of "I don't like it" when he hasn't tried something before.

Mind you, he is the only person I know who doesn't like pancakes! :eek:
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family