PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• Ingredients: All items are approximate measures
    1 1/2 lbs minced beef
    2 medium onions
    1 jar tomato and chilli sauce ( I use sacla cherry tomato and chilli)
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    tomato puree
    chilli puree
    1 tin kidney beans
    red wine
    worcester sauce

Method
    turn slow cooker on to low setting
    finely chop onions and soften in 1 tablespoon oil in a pan
    put onion in slow cooker
    brown off mince and add to onion in slow cooker
    add jar of sauce, tin of tomatoes, squeeze of tomato puree and squeeze of chilli puree (to taste)
    add a good slug of red wine and a good dash of worcester sauce.

Stir well and leave to cook in slow cooker for approx 3 hours. After 3 hours add tin of kidney beans and stir well into mince. Leave for a further hour. Season to taste if required and serve with boiled rice.

Serves 4- 6 people

Enjoy :D
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello! I posted a while ago about whether or not to buy a slow cooker as I am vegetarian.

Well I made a lovely dish the other day and thought I would post it here!

I don't know whether it "exists" in England by a different name, but its a traditional Guernsey dish called "Bean Jar", but made vegetarian!

BEAN JAR

Ing: 2 Carrots, 2 potatoes, 1 onion, 1 to 1 + 1/2 packets of Linda Mc Cartney / Quorn sausages, 500g pack mixed dry beans, stock, herbs.

Don't forget to soak the beans, then boil them and rinse all the nasty froth away! And defrost the sausages while your at it!

Chop up carrots, potatoes and onion (plus any other veg you fancy!). Throw into the microwave (or a saucepan) for a few minutes.

Chuck in to the slow cooker with the beans, defrosted sausages, and stock. I can't give you an exact amount of stock - just remember the beans will absorb a bit but you don't want soup! Add herbs and whatever flavouring you can find - but not salt as it can make the beans go chewy! (You can add salt after if you want it!)

I cooked it overnight - probably 6 to 9 hours would be fine!

Will feed 5 or 6 hungry people, or in my case 2 people plus the freezer!!
  • catznine wrote:
    No problem!

Slow cooked baked apples
    Really very easy, just take the core out of the cooking apples and then cut a line just thru the skin all the way around the middle of the apples (this stops them bursting) Fill the apples with mincemeat and then sprinkle on some demerara sugar. Put some water in the bottom of the slow cooker and cook. I leave mine on the low setting while I am at work.

hth

Can anyone tell me whether you can use ordinary eating apples for this (granny smiths) or does it have to be proper cookers like bramleys? :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've got both listed (in different recipes) in my book.

Cooking apples for baked apples

Crisp eating apples for apples in rum.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Silly question really but it has been puzzling me for ages. What does &amp and &quot mean?

Re the lovely recipes just read can't wait to try some!
    The £2.00 Savers Club = £130.00 (Started Feb.06 -saving for a dream - to visit Thailand again!)
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    they're supposed to be the symbols for ampersand (and symbol, above no 7 on your keyboard) and double quotes (above no 2 on your keys).

It's the forums way of making sure people dont use HTML code, but it's pretty buggy, in theory it shouldn't show up like that.
  • Gee thanks! As simple as that.
    The £2.00 Savers Club = £130.00 (Started Feb.06 -saving for a dream - to visit Thailand again!)
  • C-Q Brambley cooking apples are the best - cheap too.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • Thanks! I'll just have to think of something else to use up this bowl of granny smiths then as they've been sitting here a couple of weeks or more now :o
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure