Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    quoia wrote: »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

You got me worried there for a moment.

I bought both flavours but hadn't opened either .......

... until 20 minutes ago.

Just had the blackcurrant one on a croissant.

It's lovely.

Like any "reduced sugar" jam it's not a sweet as "normal" jam, and this is especially so with ones made from quite tart fruits like blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries etc.

I'm guessing but I bet the strawberry one is quite sweet, like a reduced sugar raspberry one (Sainsbury's brand) that I buy at the minute.

Just to be sure that it wasn't the croissant making it edible, I've just had half a teaspoon straight from the jar.

I will admit, it is a little different to what you might imagine or expect it to be, but the best way to describe it is that it is
    SPREADABLE RIBENA
    :D

As for it "went straight in the bin" - not very MSE :naughty: :doh:

Retrieve it immediately (presume the jam is still in the jar :eek:) - pop it in the fridge and wait until you make an APPLE PIE.
    Pop a few small dollops around and amongst the sliced apples before putting the pastry lid on and baking.

It'll be DELICIOUS

Q
    Pass the sick bucket.
    I'm out.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Pass the sick bucket.
    I'm out.
    I'm actually rather intrigued. The berry one actually sounds more like a compote.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The Strawberry one was very nice, and I have some unopened Blackcurrant, too. Curious to see what it's like given the "mixed reviews".
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'm actually rather intrigued. The berry one actually sounds more like a compote.

Described by quioa as 'not as sweet as normal jam' then like 'spreadable Ribena' doesn't make sense to me.
    I find Ribena sickly sweet.
    Hence my 'pass the sick bucket' comment.

Lidl used to do a sour cherry conserve which, whilst not as sour as I'd like, wasn't bad.
    No idea if they still sell it.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Described by quioa as 'not as sweet as normal jam' then like 'spreadable Ribena' doesn't make sense to me.
    I find Ribena sickly sweet.
    Hence my 'pass the sick bucket' comment.

Lidl used to do a sour cherry conserve which, whilst not as sour as I'd like, wasn't bad.
    No idea if they still sell it.

Perhaps I should have said No-added Sugar Ribena, Light or Really Light Ribena.

(having said that they've revamped all the recipes in the last few months due to the sugar tax and introduced artificial sweeteners so as not to fall foul of it - much to the annoyance and complaints of the vast majority of Ribena lovers worldwide according to the press)

I'd say it has a FLAVOUR similar to that of Ribena, which is quite different to a fresh raw blackcurrant for instance, and definitely dissimilar to the 45% fruit reduced sugar Sainsburys branded jam I finished last week.

However, just to clarify, the vast majority of Ribena I consume generally is one third of a measure where the other two thirds is VODKA :beer:
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Pollycat
    I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners. :cool:
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Red pesto has mysteriously gone missing from Lidl shelves :think:

Still present at my local.
    Items that I'm missing are the "lazy ginger" in a jar, and the "ambient" fresh pasta ? gnocchi (non refridgerator, used t be with the dried pasta. Gutted about that as they were solid regulars on my shopping list.
  • quoia
    I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners. :cool:

In which case THIS is RIGHT UP YOUR STREET :D

1463140740.27_6_o.jpg

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products,

made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product

without the addition of artificial sugar

which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice

Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour

they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

(11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
  • Pollycat
    In which case THIS is RIGHT UP YOUR STREET :D

1463140740.27_6_o.jpg

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products,

made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product

without the addition of artificial sugar

which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice

Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour

they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
    If you think it's right up my street, I'm somewhat confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
    You show a photo of the strawberry but have previously said in an earlier post - purple text:

Just had the blackcurrant one on a croissant.

It's lovely.

Like any "reduced sugar" jam it's not a sweet as "normal" jam, and this is especially so with ones made from quite tart fruits like blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries etc.

I'm guessing but I bet the strawberry one is quite sweet, like a reduced sugar raspberry one (Sainsbury's brand) that I buy at the minute.

Just for clarity:
    I do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet.
  • quoia
    If you think it's right up my street, I'm somewhat confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
    You show a photo of the strawberry but have previously said in an earlier post - purple text:

Just for clarity:
    I do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet.

Au Contraire

I was just responding to your "I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners" and the fact that this product is exactly that.

As for the "Strawberry" image, that's the one that I originally posted - not sure Lidl had one for the Blackcurrant version, and I wasn't specifying that you should try that particular flavour.

And I did say that I was only "guessing" that the strawberry jam might be "quite sweet" because strawberries are naturally - I haven't tasted it yet.

If you "do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet" then most fruit will not be to your liking.
    Discarding the sweet strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango, apple, pear and other similar juicy packages of fructose, including oranges .....

... then I suppose your pleasure are lemons, limes, grapefruit, rhubarb and as you said before, very sour cherries.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport