Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 24th May 08, 3:19 PM
    • 7,058Posts
    • 57,284Thanks
    rainmac
    Anyone Into Cross Stitching?
    • 24th May 08, 3:19 PM
    Anyone Into Cross Stitching? 24th May 08 at 3:19 PM
    Hi, I've been a stitcher now for about 7/8 years and love it. I tend to stitch small designs as I can be a bit impatient with larger pieces as they can take so long to complete. I mainly stitch cards and smallish pictures to frame. Recently done a few coasters and really pleased with how they have turned out.

My latest is a card for my friend's wedding (a Lizzie Kate design)...

I wondered if anyone has any money saving hints and tips and/or would like to share pics of their stitched projects. I am really into making my own presents and would love some cross stitch present ideas - I've done cards, coasters, framed pictures, fabric ornaments for xmas tree, baby toys with aida pieces attached. Can't think of anything else.

I have 2 small boys and time to stitch is really restricted to evenings when they are tucked up in bed. I subscribe to Cross Stitcher and World of Cross Stitching magazines (got both as birthday/xmas pressies last year). I buy lots of my threads (DMC and Anchor) on ebay as I've found this to be much cheaper than to buy from a shop. I also buy charts via ebay - I really like some American designers (e.g. Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek, Heart in Hand, The Trilogy...) and found the cheapest way to get such charts is via US ebay sellers.

Think that's enough for now

Look forward to hearing from all fellow stitchers

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 16-12-2008 at 5:30 PM.
Page 3
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 4th Jun 08, 4:40 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    bunbun2
    Wanted to show this coaster as I think it is so cute, not sure if I can part with it (supposed to be a present!). Maybe I've got time to make another...?

The chart was in World of Cross Stitching magazine a few months ago. I used 16 count aida so my finished design is smaller than the one in the magazine but I like it and love the colours
    Originally posted by rainmac
    rainmac I absolutely love that
    • shelly
    • By shelly 4th Jun 08, 7:07 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    Wanted to show this coaster as I think it is so cute, not sure if I can part with it (supposed to be a present!). Maybe I've got time to make another...?

The chart was in World of Cross Stitching magazine a few months ago. I used 16 count aida so my finished design is smaller than the one in the magazine but I like it and love the colours
    That's really nice!

Last night I got out what I call my sewing chest (its a tool box really but a good size for all my sewing and repairing things ) and found quite a few small cross stitch kits in it! I just knew when hubby got my other bits out of the loft there didn't seem enough kits there!

I still haven't got round to actually doing any stitching........and after all my nagging too
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • Ruth_honey
    • By Ruth_honey 9th Jun 08, 8:03 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Ruth_honey
    Hi Rainmac,

I don't usually start one and go onto something else but the Betty Boop is one I started ages ago and I ran out of the Madeira thread to finish it. I am having great difficulty in finding Madira stockists now. I should look on ebay to see if I can get it really.
    Originally posted by poppett
    Poppet,
    Do you still need Madeira threads? I have some colours that I've hardly used. If you let me know what you need, I'll check my stash.
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 9th Jun 08, 8:18 PM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 19,331 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Hi all

I knwo this is a stupid question but does anyone have any nice christmas card cross stitches?? I would love to get a head start on a christmas cross stitch for the cards asap so i can give them to relatives who i dont necessarily buy for so they can have somethign nice and a keepsake that is hand made and a labour of love.

Does anyone have any nice designs??? Also does anyone have a pretty native american design I could put in a card? maybe feathers etc? as a birthday card for my native american mad mother?

many thanks (of cours ei will update with pictures too! )
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - 2022.18 owed. 8 lenders
    Comping - November - 200 approx in wins.
    Selling to clear a debt - 14.85/120
  • melissa75
    Hi everyone. I used to cross stitch years ago, until I got into card-making. I used to really enjoy it, and I found it so relaxing, but I never used to get around to framing my projects. I have loads of finished projects stashed away in a drawer that are probably covered in dust now! That's why I stopped, but its something I would like to get back into, although I don't really have the time! I might have a look at ebay and see what treasures I can find on there! I wouldn't mind stitching some oriental designs again as I would definately put them on display!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    oooohhhh sammy

I will have to post photos of to native american pictures i have done..they were the 1st 2 big pictures i did..i also have one that is still to be finished of a medicine woman
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • shelly
    • By shelly 9th Jun 08, 10:18 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    I actually done some stitching on Friday! Found a small (very small ) kit of a cottage that comes with a frame for when its done. Now all I have to do is learn french knots for the flowers in the garden
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 10th Jun 08, 6:06 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I actually done some stitching on Friday! Found a small (very small ) kit of a cottage that comes with a frame for when its done. Now all I have to do is learn french knots for the flowers in the garden
    Originally posted by shelly
    French knots, they are my pet hate!!! Never managed to conquer them properly, good luck with your cottage - post a pic when your done!!!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 10th Jun 08, 6:10 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Hi everyone. I used to cross stitch years ago, until I got into card-making. I used to really enjoy it, and I found it so relaxing, but I never used to get around to framing my projects. I have loads of finished projects stashed away in a drawer that are probably covered in dust now! That's why I stopped, but its something I would like to get back into, although I don't really have the time! I might have a look at ebay and see what treasures I can find on there! I wouldn't mind stitching some oriental designs again as I would definately put them on display!
    Originally posted by melissa75
    Hi melissa, why don't you frame what you've done and give for presents if you don't want them yourself? Or stich them onto cushions, onto a card, on top of a box (to make a keepsake box)...people love handmade pressies and you've done all the hard work already!!!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 10th Jun 08, 6:20 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Hi sammy, I haven't thought about Xmas cards yet but summer is a good time to get started to make sure you get them all done in time in between other projects .

You could probably get some reasonably priced Xmas charts on ebay? Have you looked here for freebie charts? They also sell charts and have a competition page. Hope you find something you like so can get stitching!!!
    • Nicolefury
    • By Nicolefury 10th Jun 08, 9:00 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Nicolefury
    I haven't cross stitched for years, but I've just bought a basic kit of ebay to ease me back into it. If I still really enjoy it, I'd like to make some semi big things for christmas pressies.
    Dooyoo 10.40/40, TopCashBack 17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/10, Swagbucks 0/20, Ebay 15/25
    • shelly
    • By shelly 10th Jun 08, 10:20 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    French knots, they are my pet hate!!! Never managed to conquer them properly, good luck with your cottage - post a pic when your done!!!

I'll have to research how to do them when it comes to it. Is there anything else I can do instead of the french knots? I noticed at the weekend I have another kit which is bears in tutus. All around the edges of the tutus its all french knots. I thought about maybe sewing beads or sequins on instead, do you think that would look ok? I thought it might stand out more.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Shelly

I use beads in place of french knots on some kits.. things like flower stamens, or like you are thinking of -around the tutu -i think it looks better...
    But my pet hate is backstitch .... the photostitch pics may have a lot of -1 stitch in this colour..1 in that but at least they don't use back stitch . I have to say that i pick and choose which bits of backstitch i put on as a lot of kits put too much on and it ens up loooking messy...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 11th Jun 08, 12:41 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Seed beads are a great replacement for french knots and soooo much easier!!!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 11th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I haven't cross stitched for years, but I've just bought a basic kit of ebay to ease me back into it. If I still really enjoy it, I'd like to make some semi big things for christmas pressies.
    Originally posted by Nicolefury
    I made my mum a cross stitched decoration for the Xmas tree last Xmas. Just found a design I liked and stitched it, added a bit of wadding and another peice of aida for the back and stitched around the edge, adding ribbon at the top to hang it. It looked lovely when I'd finished (even if I say so myself!) and intend to do some more this year
    • Nicolefury
    • By Nicolefury 12th Jun 08, 11:55 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Nicolefury
    My kit arrived this morning...turns out its all backstitch! Going pretty well though, nearly finished!
    Dooyoo 10.40/40, TopCashBack 17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/10, Swagbucks 0/20, Ebay 15/25
    • Nicolefury
    • By Nicolefury 12th Jun 08, 10:44 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Nicolefury

It's not perfect, as you can tell by the picture on the front of the kit, but I'm pretty pleased with it as its the first thing i've stitched in about 6/7 years!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 13th Jun 08, 11:54 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac

It's not perfect, as you can tell by the picture on the front of the kit, but I'm pretty pleased with it as its the first thing i've stitched in about 6/7 years!
    I love it! Pooh's expression is great What are you going to do with it, frame it, give it as a present?
    • Nicolefury
    • By Nicolefury 13th Jun 08, 5:20 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Nicolefury
    I might turn it into a birth sampler with the left over thread - my nephews due in the next few days, so it could be a real nice gift
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 13th Jun 08, 6:10 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I might turn it into a birth sampler with the left over thread - my nephews due in the next few days, so it could be a real nice gift
    Brilliant idea!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

948Posts Today

4,350Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin