Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 12:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 12:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 12:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 12:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 34
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Feb 19, 7:36 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    angela I am always in awe of crafty people. The stuff you make sounds beautiful and whoever the recipients are, are very lucky.
    Happy kitties I hope you manage to sort out the rest of your presents.

Yesterday, whilst in town, I bought most of my 2019 greetings cards. We have a few birthdays in jan/feb and it was a bit of a mad rush to get them, as I totally forgot. OH bought a couple of cards at the same time, so we have duplicates, but we can roll them over to 2020. I am going to keep a log of them in my bucket journal so help me keep on top of the cards.

I also ordered some cashmere wrist warmers for MIL. They are currently on offer and I managed to save an extra 10%, so I got a pretty good deal. Other than that, I don’t hsve any other planned purchases.
    2019 savings on purchases £2758.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 10th Feb 19, 10:29 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Yay for crafty presents and people. I’ve had some time to get more crafts done recently thankfully. Very thankfully as I was having withdrawals �� also to get on with my scarves for the homeless and cat blankets for the rescues for the year. Up to 5 of each now. So I’m ahead for now if I get stuck for time.
    2 birthdays next month that I have to make for and not buy, as I have two lovely, amazing friends who wanted me to make something for them. THANK YOU!! Saves me a few quid. They’re going on a beach holiday soon. So I made a few seashell pendants and turned them into necklaces. I wish I could show a photo but I tried three times and honestly have zero clue how. But they’re up on my Instagram www.instagram.com/designsbygemma (hope I won’t get in to trouble for posting that!) quite happy with them. My other friends are all evil and want things to be bought! I would love a crafty present exchange. So much more personal than a lot of things people give. I am guilty of the “emergency, general present” too though so I can’t say much. Thankfully no other birthdays that month. Dad afterthat and he always wants either amazon vouchers or a bottle of whiskey, so that’s easily sorted. Fairly quiet for a while then. I need to keep an eye on toys for toddlers and stockpile. My baby group has lots of kids all the same age as my little girl. Everyone has birthdays within a few weeks. So lots of kids to buy for. Unfortunately I missed the big B&M sale where all the 2 for £20 toys were £3 each. I wish I had known. It would have saved me a fortune.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 19, 5:43 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    My wrist warmers arrived today and I am very pleased with them.
    https://www.turtle-doves.co.uk/products/classic-black-cashmere-fingerless-gloves

I also bought DD some slippers that were reduced from £10 to £3 in Tesco today. I sized up, so they should fit her by Xmas.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Feb 19, 8:00 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie the wrist warmers look lovely. I have nobody to buy any for unfortunately, but what a great present. U are doing really well on the present front.

I've actually sent the January present. Felt bad that I sent it so late. Now I am going in the opposite direction, preparing DSil birthday presents early ready for pick up. Even though her birthday isn't until next month, there is one very fragile item and I dont really want to be sending them plus it saves on postage.

Have been shipping out the charity 'neutral' stash that i have. It was overtaking the spare room which i need for medical supplies and just in case I'm out of action after surgery at Christmas, I've sent the organiser most of the items. Few more bits to send.
    Also had a sort out and tidy up of my Christmas stash pulling out a few more neutral items and I'm happy I've cleared some space to pop things away for DD as I was struggling for space.

Went and bought DD an extra birthday present yesterday which is wrapped and on her bed ready for when she comes home. She pointed out to me that they were on special offer with £10 off, I didnt even know she wanted the item so went and managed to get one. Just have another present to wrap for her to pop on her bed. The rest of her presents are back with her at uni.

So I am slowly getting on track as next month the birthday presents really start to be sent out
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 18th Feb 19, 5:37 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Hi All,

I'm a bit late to the party but hopefully will be able to start participating more from now on. Everyone looks off to a great start. I'm hoping to make as many presents as I can this year as I have lots of stash busting to do as well as skills I would like to learn/practice. I'm quite excited about it to be honest and am hoping to get lots of ideas from this thread as well as Pinterest (although I tend to find myself a bit overwhelmed from ideas on there as so many lovely things to make!).

Looking forward to keeping up with the thread and seeing everyone's progress.
    Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and remind them who they are dealing with
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 18th Feb 19, 7:48 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 17,401 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi to all the regulars, hi to squishylove1989, welcome to the group.

My Valentine's Day outing was a huge success, no jinxes, fantastic food, pirate pubs, geocaching (found 1 out of 3) we got home much later than expected as were having such a good time that we didn't want to return.

Friend really liked all my crochet gifts including the hand made card and small extra ones that fitted inside the big card.

I also brought along with me on my day out some decorated embellished padlocks (to put on bridges) and a painted stone but after initially not finding the right location to leave things I completely forgot about them and they were brought all the way home again. And I gave another decorated stone to a friend going to S. Africa to take with him to leave. He did this for me a few years ago as well.

I have no idea what to do now craft wise. Next birthday's coming up is Dad and I don't normally make anything for him although I could try a card.

On the subject of bargains, my friend stayed overnight Valentine's then left at 7 am to queue at a new store that was giving drastic bargains to first in line. She bought a £300 curved electric wall fire for £30 (it might have been even cheaper but I can't quite recall). She also bought other items with big savings.

crazy-cat-lady I like your crafts page.

• chanie
    • By chanie 23rd Feb 19, 7:16 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Angela sounds like your crafting gifts were well received.

Squishy good luck with your efforts. I look forward to your updates.

I ordered a couple of bits from China, to make up a small hamper. The items are coming from China, so it’s a good 6 weeks before they arrive. If the quality is poor, I may use them in my link boxes (that sounds awful, but you know what I mean!).
    Also popped to Home Bargains and bought a couple of candles for 59p each for my spare gift box. They had lots of unicorn accessories in, which would make good gifts.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Feb 19, 10:14 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    A few recent purchases:

Gruffalo children's PJs - half price to £6.50 for a niece.

slipper socks half price to £4, possible for SIL, but otherwise I can keep them in my gift box.

I recently met up with some relatives and they gave me a stash of slippers from their recent stay in a hotel, which will go in my Link boxes.

Hope everyone is well.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 28th Feb 19, 10:16 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Ooh. Where were the Gruffalo PJs from? If itís somewbere I can get to and they have them, I might get a pair or two of those. Gruffalo mad in this house.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Ooh. Where were the Gruffalo PJs from? If itís somewbere I can get to and they have them, I might get a pair or two of those. Gruffalo mad in this house.
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady

Sainsburys (they were on a reduced rack). I have seen other gruffalo items throughout the year, so keep an eye out. You could also check their 'work book day' section for costumes.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 28th Feb 19, 11:25 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Sainsburys (they were on a reduced rack). I have seen other gruffalo items throughout the year, so keep an eye out. You could also check their 'work book day' section for costumes.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Perfect. Thank you. Iíll have a peep. We already have the world book day costume sorted! Canít wait for that.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Feb 19, 11:36 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I've not been fully on the ball, health hasn't been great.

I did by chance stumble on the Boots 90% sale. Managed to get quite a few bits, some for a charity DD and I support and some items popped away in stash. Was very happy.

Went into home barg@ins yesterday and bought a pack of 4 bars of soap.
    Reading what Chanie is up to I feel very behind on my boxes this year!

It is birthday present season so need to try and get a few boxes to send presents out but I've had a sort out, moved things around so stash looks abit tidier..........it was taking over the house!
    DD was happy with her birthday presents, they were all very practical ones that I know DD uses. Didnt know what else to get her. Did pick up a penguin biscuit jar before Christmas and kept it tucked away. I then found out that her BF lov it aswell so need to go back and have a look and see if I can get another. I dont know if B+M just had them in for Christmas

I feel that it does save alot of money and takes the pressure off having the presents in ready for after Christmas birthdays. Just makes life easier

Cannot believe we are in March tomorrow, time is flying too quick
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Feb 19, 12:55 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie

I feel that it does save alot of money and takes the pressure off having the presents in ready for after Christmas birthdays. Just makes life easier
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I hope you are on the mend now.

Funnily enough, I have been thinking about this myself: being organised, does save money and take the pressure off. Although I stared off as a way to save money, the balance has shifted to just being organised and so this year, my focus is on being MSE. To give you an example, I had a budget of £20 for DN through being organised and buying gifts early, I managed to buy a £35 present for £20, which, although was in budget, didn't actually save me any money. This year, I'm going try and find a present for under £20 to save a bit of money. Although, this rule won't apply to OH or the children.
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 1st Mar 19, 2:14 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 17,401 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

Happy Kitties, hope you are better today.

Well done everyone on all your savings and organising. That's a good idea Chanie to reduce your spends even more re your comment about the expensive present reduced to 20 pounds which was your original budget.

I've got an idea for something I can make for my friend's birthday. Every year so far I haven't been able to celebrate the fact it lands on Winter Solstice so this year I'm hoping to make a card (possibly cross stitch) and a wall canvas painted with a winter scene (snow, fir trees, dark sky). Then make holes in the sky area and attach fairy lights from the back.

I started a few trial runs of the painting over the years but each time I became sidetracked and forgot. This time I've got months of experimenting to get it right.

Normally I do my hand made gifts at the weekly art and crafts group but last week I didn't have enough time to get prepared for the WS idea so I'm experimenting with a future Halloween art abandonment project, only because I had the materials to hand and didn't have to go rummaging through all my craft stash for something more seasonally appropriate.

Few days ago I was shown a photo of one of my painted stones in South Africa which was taken there a few years ago and it's still in the same bar it was left as my friends have returned to the same place. They've also taken another of my stones but I don't know where they have left it yet.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Mar 19, 12:43 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks Chanie & Anglea for ur kind wishes. Unfortunately with my spinal condition there are alot of secondaries and I've needed major surgery for awhile now, but my health board and funding issues isn't the best.

However have been plodding on. Have been sending out charity items ready for Christmas auctions as once I have the surgery I'm out of action for 6 months. Still need to focus more on my link boxes.
    March birthdays are coming thick and fast. Actually managed to get some boxes before ready to send items out tomorrow.

I know what u mean about the reduction in spends Chanie. Have been able to crack it more with children than adults. My cousin is always saying u shouldn't have spent that much on the kids, in reality I've spent very little I've just been really lucky to get some great items at silly prices but I'm not so great with adults at the minute.
    Not done anything more with Christmas. Normally would have more of DDs presents sorted by now, but struggling on this as she tends to buy things that she wants now with being at uni. No doubt I will get some clues when she is back home
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Mar 19, 1:15 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Oh! I missed your post. So sorry youíre feeling so bad. I hope youíre feeling as ok and comfortable as you can be now.

Many thanks Chanie & Anglea for ur kind wishes. Unfortunately with my spinal condition there are alot of secondaries and I've needed major surgery for awhile now
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie

I know what u mean about the reduction in spends Chanie. Have been able to crack it more with children than adults. My cousin is always saying u shouldn't have spent that much on the kids, in reality I've spent very little I've just been really lucky to get some great items at silly prices but I'm not so great with adults at the minute.
    I agree. Itís easy to buy for young children. You do really well with your bargains though, happy kitties.

The next big event is Easter. I read on this site that Tesco were selling Easter eggs for 75p, so I bought 7. I used some club card vouchers, so I paid £1.XX for the lot.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Mar 19, 8:33 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I doubt Iíll donas well as last year with Easter. I got to buy £8 for free, completely refunded from one of the cashback apps last year. So got them when they were on offer at Asda.

I have toys for my daughter that Iíd bought on offer and put away ages ago, so she will have a few little bits of chocolates for an Easter egg hunt and thatís it. My niece and nephew going to b&m for. They have Thorntonís eggs and figures that are £7 in Thorntonís and theyíre selling them for £2/2.50. So Iím hoping their mum doesnít know that 😆
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Mar 19, 10:43 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks CCL, things aren't great but much better than they have been and they've managed to temp stabilise me for now which enables me to function at least. Not getting out for bargains so much though Chanie but totally agree with u it is so much easier to buy for children and I've found with teenagers all they want is make up-picked up great No17 clearance bargains from Boots

Everyone is doing so well with Easter, I picked up some of the 75p Easter eggs but have eaten 2!!

I remember when DD and DN were little and doing an Easter egg hunt. U could do so much for so little and they loved it. They grow up far too quick

Was hoping to get out today for some fresh air and to post one of the birthday parcels but weather is really bad today, it is really miserable. Hoping it will he better tomorrow, ready for spring now
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 13th Mar 19, 7:36 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 17,401 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone.

I haven't even thought as far as Easter. There's Mother's Day to consider and I've got to get some gifts for my dad this week.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin