Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 34
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Feb 19, 12:15 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Anglea uve got a very lucky friend,the crochet chain sounds lovely and ur friend sounds like she has a real eye for display.
    U sound very busy with ur crafting and I love the idea of the pirate pubs and a Knights Templar ruined church. I love the history of things like this.
    When we went to Prague, just going to the cathedral before Christmas, four purple candles out, the history of Saint Wenceslaus. I can never remember the facts but I just find it fascinating.

The January birthday present is looking at me waiting to be wrapped. I've wrapped 3 other parcels with charity items ready to send so determined this birthday present will be sent tomorrow.
    I'm having to send some items to the organiser as I'm running out of room and have no room for my medical supplies so things are looking abit tidier.

Picked up the item to finish the last birthday present of DDs. She isn't home for a couple of weeks so will have time to wrap without feeling pressurised into wrapping. If I really put effort in I can also get a relative's presents wrapped. This is the part I hate after Christmas as the very last thing I want to do is wrap! I have the presents ready but hate the wrapping
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Feb 19, 8:36 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 11,908 Thanks
    chanie
    angela I am always in awe of crafty people. The stuff you make sounds beautiful and whoever the recipients are, are very lucky.
    Happy kitties I hope you manage to sort out the rest of your presents.

Yesterday, whilst in town, I bought most of my 2019 greetings cards. We have a few birthdays in jan/feb and it was a bit of a mad rush to get them, as I totally forgot. OH bought a couple of cards at the same time, so we have duplicates, but we can roll them over to 2020. I am going to keep a log of them in my bucket journal so help me keep on top of the cards.

I also ordered some cashmere wrist warmers for MIL. They are currently on offer and I managed to save an extra 10%, so I got a pretty good deal. Other than that, I don’t hsve any other planned purchases.
    2019 savings on purchases 640.51
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 10th Feb 19, 11:29 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Yay for crafty presents and people. I’ve had some time to get more crafts done recently thankfully. Very thankfully as I was having withdrawals �� also to get on with my scarves for the homeless and cat blankets for the rescues for the year. Up to 5 of each now. So I’m ahead for now if I get stuck for time.
    2 birthdays next month that I have to make for and not buy, as I have two lovely, amazing friends who wanted me to make something for them. THANK YOU!! Saves me a few quid. They’re going on a beach holiday soon. So I made a few seashell pendants and turned them into necklaces. I wish I could show a photo but I tried three times and honestly have zero clue how. But they’re up on my Instagram www.instagram.com/designsbygemma (hope I won’t get in to trouble for posting that!) quite happy with them. My other friends are all evil and want things to be bought! I would love a crafty present exchange. So much more personal than a lot of things people give. I am guilty of the “emergency, general present” too though so I can’t say much. Thankfully no other birthdays that month. Dad afterthat and he always wants either amazon vouchers or a bottle of whiskey, so that’s easily sorted. Fairly quiet for a while then. I need to keep an eye on toys for toddlers and stockpile. My baby group has lots of kids all the same age as my little girl. Everyone has birthdays within a few weeks. So lots of kids to buy for. Unfortunately I missed the big B&M sale where all the 2 for 20 toys were 3 each. I wish I had known. It would have saved me a fortune.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites 48.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 19, 6:43 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 11,908 Thanks
    chanie
    My wrist warmers arrived today and I am very pleased with them.
    https://www.turtle-doves.co.uk/products/classic-black-cashmere-fingerless-gloves

I also bought DD some slippers that were reduced from 10 to 3 in Tesco today. I sized up, so they should fit her by Xmas.
    2019 savings on purchases 640.51
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Feb 19, 9:00 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie the wrist warmers look lovely. I have nobody to buy any for unfortunately, but what a great present. U are doing really well on the present front.

I've actually sent the January present. Felt bad that I sent it so late. Now I am going in the opposite direction, preparing DSil birthday presents early ready for pick up. Even though her birthday isn't until next month, there is one very fragile item and I dont really want to be sending them plus it saves on postage.

Have been shipping out the charity 'neutral' stash that i have. It was overtaking the spare room which i need for medical supplies and just in case I'm out of action after surgery at Christmas, I've sent the organiser most of the items. Few more bits to send.
    Also had a sort out and tidy up of my Christmas stash pulling out a few more neutral items and I'm happy I've cleared some space to pop things away for DD as I was struggling for space.

Went and bought DD an extra birthday present yesterday which is wrapped and on her bed ready for when she comes home. She pointed out to me that they were on special offer with 10 off, I didnt even know she wanted the item so went and managed to get one. Just have another present to wrap for her to pop on her bed. The rest of her presents are back with her at uni.

So I am slowly getting on track as next month the birthday presents really start to be sent out
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,436Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter