Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 24th Jun 18, 1:15 PM
    • 919Posts
    • 2,466Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Savings for the Boy & Me
    • 24th Jun 18, 1:15 PM
    Savings for the Boy & Me 24th Jun 18 at 1:15 PM
    Hello,

I've only just stumbled across this board but I've decided it is a more suitable place for me to post. I'll start with a bit of a background,. My life consists of the boy (who is 7) and me. We currently live at home with my mum and I've no plans to move out anytime soon. This way I am able to save as much money as possible.
    I also have bipolar disorder and ADHD so life can be tricky at times and I need routine, structure and stability.

Over the last few years I've been saving as much as possible into several accounts for numerous different things. I was also given a substantial amount of money as inheritance off a family member which enabled me to pay the off my car. So as life stands currently I have zero debt and a good amount of savings behind me.

I have different bank accounts for different things such as yearly expenses that creep up, so I'm always one step ahead. I pay a set amount of money into these each month and must have around 10 different bank accounts but they all serve their own purpose.

This year especially is a expensive year with everything we have going on. This includes a trip to Dublin, two hen dos, a caravan weekend away, a week in Cornwall and a two week Caribbean cruise. This is all within the next three months so obviously it's going to be spendy spendy.

I want to save as much money as possible but I've come to accept this year I'll have to be less harsh on myself when it comes to reaching goals. The idea will be that once this is all over, next year I can focus harder on saving as much as possible and in the future I'll get myself onto the property ladder when I feel ready. I could currently do it now but with so much going on and with my mental health being up and down, it isn't the right time.

So for now that's it and I'll go further into details in other posts to make it easier to read.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
Page 6
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 8th Jan 19, 6:15 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Feel free to pick my brain - are there any particular questions you've got? Point me in a vague direction topic-wise and I'll happily spew words at you

At least the date was pleasant and not an awkward one! I'm not sure whether to say "hope you hear from him soon" or "hope you meet another one soon" but either way, things have a way of working out for the best. There's just sometimes a bunch of **** in the way that has to be got through first!

If anyone other than me ever looked at my bank statements they'd be horrified. I'm fairly sure mine "look" worse than yours do as I'm always moving money around to and from various pots! But if you can, simple is preferable! I've done the opposite today and moved a bunch more money around plus applied for a new account (but at least it's an account switch so I won't have any MORE accounts once it's done!).....
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 1440.88 / 6,000
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 1440.88 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 10290 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 190.2 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 17/04/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Nov 2052
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 9th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

I am soooo tired and have no idea why. I think the toll of the last few weeks is catching up on me. Some people would be like yay at the idea of more sleep, I'm like no. I am sleeping far too much. I struggled to wake up this morning and had to rush out the house to get to school and do some reading with the boy in class before his day started. He missed his early sport session before school, oops. I need to get myself back into a regular sleeping pattern, this meaning going to bed at an appropriate time and to wake up early! I feel much better when I have an early start, I really need to start planning things ahead to save time.

The plan today is to catch up on a few things that need doing. I am struggling to find the motivation for things at the moment so really need to push myself that bit further in order for things to get done or else I will still be a miserable, moaning myrtle. I have written a to do list to try and keep myself accountable and I will slowly work my way through it.

- Phone my CPN and arrange a visit. (I haven't seen her for nearly two weeks. We need to discuss what happens next and when I shall see my consultant).
    - Go food shopping for fresh items only. (I need to get some fresh fruit in and other groceries. I shall only be spending minimal for this).
    - Sort out my makeup. (Its currently all jumbled up in one makeup bag, I need to reorganise this).
    - Wash my makeup brushes. (Although not urgent, I always feel better after cleaning them LOL).
    - Put ironing away. (Far too many ironing piles have built up. It's time they found a place called home).
    - Print off some pictures for boys homework. (This should really be him doing it but our schedule is so busy at the moment so it is hard to find the time to fit everything in. I will do minimal and he can do the rest).
    - Change my bedding. (This should only take five minutes but I hate this chore! I shall just strip the bed and stick it in the wash with some other washing. Once its done, its done).
    - Give my shoes a home. (I am forever locating shoes, if I put them all in one place it shall be much easier to find).
    - Empty my handbags and put them away. (I seem to be accumulating quite a few just recently and they are just lying about in my bedroom making it look more cluttered).

I shall leave my list as that so it is not too overbearing or too overloaded.

I decided to let things lie with the guy I went on a date with the other night. I had heard nothing so sent a message asking if everything was okay and he replied that he had a migraine- believable however his phone had stated he was online for half the night. I don't think a migraine would allow you to be on your phone. I have a feeling he is being flakey and I don't do flakey. So I am leaving things as they are, I am not investing my time into someone who doesn't make the effort. I refuse to be the one who always makes contact. Onwards and upwards, as they say and I may possibly have other dates lined up. I'm only young and want to have some fun whilst seeing what or who is out there!

Pink, the main questions I guess I have are.. what is a realistic budget for two weeks travelling around Italy? My original plan was to fly to one destination then interail/use trains to get around. The boy wants to visit a variety of places such as Venice, Rome, Pisa, Naples etc. Where would you recommend to go and what to do? I want to be able to explore and see a lot of things but hopefully do this on a budget. It will be our main holiday for the year. I need to book the time off work first before I can get down to the nitty gritty bits. And I am unsure whether to start booking now or wait until after the brexit drama unfolds at the end of March.

Decisions, decisions.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 9th Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

I thought I would post back with a little update to how my afternoon has been. I have managed to do quite a few things on my to do list

- Phone my CPN and arrange a visit. (I tried to contact my CPN to be told she was not in today, so I'll phone back tomorrow. I feel okay though for the moment.).

- Go food shopping for fresh items only. (I made a list and have stuck to what I have needed- a few store cupboard items and fresh food. I checked the fridge out beforehand and wrote what I need based on what is in for the next week or so. My mum does the main shops and I top up in between for other items forgotten or wanted ).

- Sort out my makeup. (It has mostly been sorted out, I just need to place the items back in their correct home).

- Wash my makeup brushes. (All makeup brushes cleaned and now drying out. A tip from a makeup artist was to clean them with washing up liquid.. they've come up a treat!).

- Put ironing away. (I no have a floordrobe and I have put all my ironing away. I have separated my new uniforms from the old ones and my wardrobes look more organised now. I have also realised I have way too many pyjamas ).

- Print off some pictures for boys homework. (I have spent time this afternoon collecting pictures and printing them off. The topic is about electricity and he has to do a poster on how we can save on electricity, I shall be a dab hand at explaining this to him. I will help him as much as I can and I really want him to put lots of effort into this so he can reap the rewards and praise from his teacher. Sometimes I feel he does not get enough recognition for what he actually does).

- Change my bedding. (All bedding washed and changed. Also I found my teddy bear fleece topper which I have put back on my bed. I can't wait to sleep tonight knowing how comfy I will be).

- Give my shoes a home. (All shoes put together and organised so I know where each ones are).

- Empty my handbags and put them away. (My bags have been emptied and put into the wardrobe ready for when I need them).

So I have managed everything that I wrote down. I feel like it has been a day of adulting and that I have actually achieved something rather then sleep my day away.

Tonight, the boy has ice skating so I will take him to that and take some drinks with me so I am not tempted to spend whilst there. He will be there for around an hour and a half so I will find something to occupy myself with, whilst hiding under a blanket to keep warm!

Once back, we will start on his homework and make some inroads to that before retiring to bed at a decent time. I am going to set my alarm for 6am, in hope that I can get myself back into a better routine sleepwise as I am most productive in the mornings and I don't want to waste my time sleeping longer then required!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 10th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

Today was supposed to have been a pretty chilled out day for me. I just felt like I needed a day to myself. I went round to my friends this morning for a coffee and then I've watched a couple of programmes on television. Another friend, who I haven't spoke with in a while then messaged, so an hour on the phone later.. I don't really feel too relaxed.

I've decided to book myself in for an eye appointment next week on my day off. I'm looking to get some new ones so will take advantage of the 2for1 deal if I find some I like. I want something a bit different that will make me stand out more rather the usual I go for. I've decided I'll add the cost of these to my 0% credit card to spread payments over the next twelve months. It's doable and payable.

I also need to look at renewing my breakdown insurance. I had a reminder email today about renewal price so I will shop around and see who can match what I currently have. I'll add that to my to do list for tonight.

Another thing I want to do is compare gas/electricity prices for my mum as she is paying far too much and is on a standard rate which is very expensive. I'll do a price comparison and go from there- maybe her current supplies could match it or offer a better deal. My mum is not one for change so I need to somehow talk her into this.

I've had a final cost breakdown of the boys new skates.. 250 including fitting, moulding and blade sharpening. This is less then what I initially thought and hopefully these will make a difference to his skating and get him back to where he was. His current boots have caused nothing but problems. I'll be glad to be shot of them.

The plan for the rest of the evening is to finish off the boys homework and play catch up on other things. We will have tea with my uncle then once again go off to ice skating. The boy has really been trying his best but seems to have hit a wall which has knocked his confidence. I don't want him to take it too personally so will try my best to keep him upbeat and support him.

The only other thing I am going to do is update my calendar with my current off duty for the next couple of weeks!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 47,374 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in getting through your to do list. Good riddance to the migraine date guy - at least you found out early he was a creep.

Im the opposite. Completely shattered. I am spending the day in bed and cleaning when I wake up.
    Christmas Fund 108
    Reminder: 125 spent on FLEABAY in April!!!!
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jan 19, 3:19 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

There hasn't been too much going on since I last posted. I've just been keeping an eye on things and watching what i spend.

Yesterday I treated myself to a new, pretty tourniquet for work. I'm in love with it. It's rainbow coloured and stripey- definately suits my personality.

Today I took the boy to a ninja warrior type of activity. 10 for one hour. It was pretty good and the boy seemed to enjoy it. I bought us both a drink, totally 2 and then we came home for lunch.

It was about a 20 mile drive each way but has given my car a good run for the first time in a while. I will probably be looking at filling my car up with petrol at some point this next week.

We have no other plans now for the rest of the day. The boy has done some of his homework and is chilling out, eating some of his leftover chocolate from Christmas.

So although we have had some spends today it has been pretty low compared to what I could have spent. At one point I thought about getting lunch whilst there but thought better of it- we would have just ended up being out longer, forking out more money when there was food available at home.

So overall, a bit of a win win.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

It's been a early start today in the Chandelier household. The boy had skating from 8am, we are due to leave soon. Whilst here I succumbed into buying a Starbucks as I was really thirsty.. 3.55 later :/ . I did bring drinks with me but I've been over thirsty for some reason. I've paid for it out of the entertainment budget so it's not too bad. I'm just going to keep an eye on things for the next couple of weeks.

The boy is then off to his grandparents and then I've to go pick my mum off and we are off to pick up some new storage units for my bedroom. Hopefully I will declutter a few bits and bobs and make room for other things.

I may be going out later with a friend, no plan set in stone just yet. I'll see how the day pans out. If so I'll have some travelling to do so will have to fill my car up.

I've been talking to a friend about financial circumstances and it's just made me realise what fortunate position I'm in. It's food for thought really and really opened my eyes. It kind of motivates me even more to get myself into a stable financial position for the future.

Aside from that, all is well.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 15th Jan 19, 2:04 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

I didn't end up going out the other day, the friend is quite a flakey person so I just thought that I'm not going to bother anymore.

Yesterday I was at work which meant I had a NSD.

Today I've been to the opticians and had my eyes checked out.. slight change in prescription and two new pairs of glasses later, cost me 349. That's down to the style of glasses I wear and what needs doing. It worked out cheaper then other avenues I was exploring and I picked frames that I liked and suited me. These will last me over the next two years until I'm due another appointment and because I wear glasses alot it's money well spent. I've put it onto my 0% CC and will work out a repayment plan later. I do wear contact lenses every so often but order them online- they are 13.50 for a months worth of dailies which last me a couple of months. I'd rather look after my eyesight then cut back.

I'm currently mid argument with the boys dad. He pays minimal each month and way below the amount he should. It started with me asking if he could pay for one of the boys extra curricular activities which he point blank refuses to, so I've sent an angry text. He's so tightfisted and reckons I should cut back on what he does.

All I want to do is give the boy a good life and options. I want him to achieve all that he can and I'm there for him along the way. It's a shame his dad isn't and that he has minimal input, his main concern is himself and his girlfriend. They go away around 3/4 times a year, sometimes more yet he barely sees his own son.

Sometimes you just can't win and I think this will be one of the things. I'm just angry- most of all because I want what's best for the boy yet his dad doesn't see it. I just hope in years to come that the boy realises this and everything I've done.

I pay for all his expenses, holidays away, new shoes/clothes, school trips, new experiences etc. Yet his dad gives me a mediocre 160 per month that barely touches the sides.

It's put me in a pretty bad mood but I'll try to let it not affect me.

The plan for the rest of the day is to take the boy to collect his new skates and then he has football.

All I do is try my best and sometimes it seems that's not enough.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 18th Jan 19, 2:48 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

I've been thinking quite a bit this afternoon about upcoming car expenses.

I've just renewed my breakdown cover which came to 46. I did a price comparison and had a good root around to find one that suits me and what I need. It was 12 cheaper then last year and it covers me for all things. I took out the personal cover so it can be used no matter who's vehicle I'm in.

I've also been browsing for other necessary car expenses and have put together a rough budget of upcoming costs/expenses as follows.
    • Car Insurance: 550.00. (Due end of August).
    • Car Tax: 190.00. (Due end of July).
    • Car Service/MOT: 200.00. (Due end of April).

Total: 940.00.

I currently save 125.00 per month into a dedicated car fund to cover all costs. Then there are also funds leftover to cover other costs e.g. if I need tyres replacing.

When the time comes to each expense, I will shop around and find the best deals possible. The idea is to come under budget but I've set realistic ones for now.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jan 19, 9:30 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 47,374 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I just read your post about your dear son and how much you do for him. Well done you. He will realise when he is older and it is good that you are not letting the father get you down.

Well done on saving money on car protection.
    Christmas Fund 108
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Feb 19, 11:37 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Evening,

Or should I say morning? I'm led in bed finding that I an unable to get to sleep. I've neglected this diary for a few weeks but so much has been happening, it's been hard to keep track.

I've ended up going off sick from work but it just couldn't be helped. I had a bit of a breakdown before Christmas and everything seemed to have built up from there until it was no longer manageable. I didn't want to as work used to keep me distracted but I was literally forced to in the end.

So it's not been a great couple of weeks. I'm trying to muddle my way through the murky waters to get myself back on track. I obviously have a lot of spare time on my hands at the moment and I'm not always quite sure what to do with it. I'm trying to keep busy as much as possible but sometimes there is nothing left to do. It's hard finding the right balance.

I need to use this time to focus on myself and my health. That's the most important thing so I've decided I'm going to set myself some small manageable goals to work towards.

In regards to finances, everything is up to date. I had to use some money from my car fund to pay for my breakdown cover and I bought myself a new dash cam as I nearly had a near miss accident. It wasn't my fault but I reacted quickly and things could have been a lot worse. It makes me feel better knowing I am recording everything whilst I drive now should anything else occur in the future. I shopped around and got a decent one with dual cameras for a good price and I'm happy with it.

I've treated myself to a few things lately to try and cheer myself up. I had my hair done last week which cost 44, but I shouldn't need it doing for a while, I try and stretch out my visits as much as possible and it's pretty manageable as it is. I felt much better afterwards, it's amazing what difference a little self care makes. I also got my eyebrows waxed which cost 6. They were long overdue but I've been trying to stretch them appointments as I want to grow my eyebrows out as much as possible to give them a better shape.

I also treated myself to a new coat. I'm absolutely in love with it and haven't stopped wearing it. It's bright green and really well padded. It feels like a sleeping bag when I'm wearing it. It only cost me 42 which I thought was rather cheap for a coat and it should last me a while. A lot of my coats are bold, primary colours. I like to stand out in a crowd and be a little different. It's also a reflection of my personality.

I think that shall be it for a little while. I've spent enough on myself for this month and I'm now going to watch the pennies.

I've been told that I'll receive full pay whilst I'm off sick which has eased my anxieties. I'm also due some payment arrears of around 180 which will help towards further costs next month.

The boy has upcoming auditions for an ice skating show, I'll need to find the funds for that. He is also entering an ice skating competition and will be having a test at some point so I need to pay for those.

I've recently been meeting up with a guy I got talking to a while back. Things seem to be going well but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just going to see how things pan out and its nice to have some company. He's literally the opposite of me but sometimes opposites attract, right? It provides yet another distraction which can only be a good thing.

I've lots to do at the moment but I'm trying to break them down into smaller chunks. I'm also setting myself some small goals to work towards. I need something to focus my mind on whilst I'm off.

So that's pretty much it really for now.

I'm still saving into different pots each month and sticking to the budgets which is good. Whatever is left over, rolls over to next months budget or gets put aside in a seperate account that shall hopefully build up as time goes on.

I think I'm going to post some goals on here to keep myself on track and to head in the right direction.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Feb 19, 11:50 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    One of the areas in my life that I want to focus on, is my weight. I did really well last year losing weight but once I started a new medication, the weight slowly creeped on. I know what I need to do but it's just getting back into it. I need to get back to the gym and start exercising regularly but I also need to give my overall diet a shake up. I'm snacking way too much on junk food that isn't good for me and I want to start eating three good meals day. At the moment I probably only eat one meal and snack for the rest of the day.

I don't want to jump straight into it and put too much pressure on myself. I want to do it slowly and make small changes over time to achieve my ultimate goal. It has to be sustainable.

So what are my goals?
    • Lose 1lb a week.
    • Go to the gym 3x a week.
    • Eat a balanced diet.

What am I going to do to try and achieve these?
    • Cut out any snacks/junk food.
    • Plan out my meals for the day.
    • Cut back on sugar in my drinks.
    • Drink more water.
    • Go for walks outside and get fresh air on a regular basis.
    • Weigh myself once a week.
    • Look up motivational stories to inspire me.

I'm unsure of my current weight as my scales need new batteries. I'll have a look tomorrow at what batteries they take and try to source some new ones.

Once I know my start weight, I can set some more goals. Ultimately I'd like to lose around 5lb a month, anything more then that is a bonus. I just want to feel confident in my body again and get myself much fitter then what I currently am.

I think ultimately my target weightloss will be around 70lb. I'm not going on any fad diets and I'm going to take the sensible approach and change little things along the way.

We have just over two weeks left of February so I'm going to set myself a target to lose 2lb. I can then start afresh next month.

I'm going to factor in time when I can to go to the gym. I pay for the membership and need to use it more often. This includes swimming too which I want to get back into.

Fingers crossed!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Feb 19, 8:39 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

I'm a lot less active on here lately due to things previously mentioned in my last post but I've also been posting a lot more regularly in my DFW Diary. So if anyone ever wonders where I may have gotten to, sometimes it's there. Although my debt is only small to others and I could pay it off at any point, it's still doing me good and keeping me on track. I'm accountable for this and making payments here and there, where possible. As long as I clear it before December, that's all that matters. The current balance sits at 570.00. I've already made a payment this month but I'm aiming to make another payment towards the end of the month, when I do a money shuffle.

Anyway I've done a lot of thinking and I've decided...

TODAY IS THE DAY I TAKE BACK CONTROL OF MY LIFE

This includes reviewing and assessing everything that is going on around me and my outlook/perspective on things. There are some things I can't control but other things I can and I just need to find the motivation to do these.

I will recover and pull through this depression. I have the strength to do this as I've done it before so I can do it again. Each time, I become more resilient and learn from past experiences. No one else can do this for me and it's solely down to me to sort things out and change what I can. I need some control and routine back into my life.

I need to look at things with a different perspective. I need to focus on the positives, not the negatives. I want to be the best version of myself and allow others to see the real me when I'm at my best.

I'm a high functioning, high achieving person. I strive for perfectionism which always isn't attainable but as long as I try my best that's all that matters.

The first step I am taking is going back to the gym. I'm a bit nervous to start again but I'm sure I'll be fine once I'm there. I'm setting myself small targets and will build upon these. I'm making myself go today, even if it's just for half an hour. I will no doubt feel better after it.

I've wrote quite a big to do list which I'm going to tackle as the day goes on and break it down into smaller manageable chunks. I'm going to do this every day, even if some of it is just part of daily life. I need to keep myself accountable and get back into a routine. There are basic needs I often forget/put aside such as making sure I eat proper meals. I am determined to make changes now.

There will never be a right time to start so I figure why not just do it now and get it over and done with. I am able to do it, I just need to have a little faith in myself and have encouragement from others.

I won't let my illness/condition define me, it's just a small part of who I am. If people don't accept this part of me then they no longer serve a purpose in my life. I'm surrounded by close family and friends and I am well loved. That's all that matters.

The boy is my reason to carry on and fight through whatever life throws our way. I need to keep on, keeping on.. that's a phrase a 103 year old lady told me when I asked her what was her secret and it's always stuck with me.

I sometimes scroll through and read quotes which sometimes make me feel better and more empowered. Some of them, I can relate to and others give different perspective on things/outlook on life in general. It makes me stop and think for a moment and I realise how truly blessed I am.

I'm blessed that I can save up money to secure a future for the boy and me. I put aside lump sums each month into different accounts to earn interest. I live within my means as much as possible but I allow a little leeway for other things. There are areas I could cut back on but I want to enjoy my time with family/friends. We don't always do things that cost money, sometimes it's just simple things like going for a walk or to the park.

We have passes for our local theme park which opens soon, so we will probably spend a bit of time there and take food/picnics with us. It's only a ten minute walk away and I just need to pick up our passes. One of the boys friend from school also has a pass so we can always arrange a day out with them which I'm sure he'll love.

We also live right by the beach so we can start going for walks/bike rides, weather permitting. We can go swimming for free which is a bonus, the boy can practice and we also have fun when we go. We aren't too far from countryside walks and have good network links to other areas we can explore. I want to create mini adventures that the boy shall look back on with fond memories. We are so close, we are pretty much inseparable. He's my best friend.

As half term is looming, I shall be putting together a plan to keep us both busy. There will be some down time at home where the boy can play computer games with his friends but I'm determined to get us out the house as much as possible. I'm always open to suggestions of what to do. I will also try and arrange a day out with my friend and her kids.

If we venture out of town then I may have to increase my petrol budget for the month. I'm okay with this and have used a bit more then usual just lately with going different places. I currently have 55 left in the petrol budget and I'm going to put some petrol in my car today and then I'm going to fill up the air in tyres. I've been checking out the MSE guide about driving as economically as possible and what you can do to ensure you get the most out of your petrol. My MPG is quite poor and I worked out it roughly costs me 20p per mile which was shocking. The thing is though, i own my car outright and plan to run it till it's on its last legs so I'll just do everything I can to ensure I get my moneys worth. I'm going to try and stop the smaller journeys and walk more to places. The exercise will also do me good.

The food budget has 55 left in for the rest of the month. I tend to just nip in weekly and buy any fresh food items we need. I've spent a bit more lately as we forgot a couple of things but that's okay. I'm going to start writing a list as I go along when I remember what we need as I often forget.

My entertainment budget has 175 left which is good for me! We have a lot of wriggle room here to play with but I'll try to save some of this to put towards other things.

Anyhow, I best get on with my day and make a start with all that I want to do.

I'm excited for new beginnings and I have hope. That's the most important thing, I feel right now.

Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Feb 19, 4:55 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 47,374 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    So sorry you are not well. I hope you can rest and make a recovery soon. Keep enjoying time with your dear son.
    Christmas Fund 108
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 17th Feb 19, 5:59 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

Thanks saving, it isn't going to be easy but I will get to where I need to be.

This week has passed so quickly and in a bit of a blur. I've been keeping myself busy as much as possible.

One of the good things is I've managed to do is go to the gym four times in a row. It was scary at first, walking back in knowing that I'm starting from scratch but I know I can do this. Over the next few weeks I'll be building up a routine that is maintainable and suitable for me. I've also been a lot more careful watching what I eat and only eating when I'm properly hungry. The goal is to lose around a lb a week and work towards getting myself fitter and healthier. It's going to take hard work and determination but I'm ready for the challenge.

Money wise, I'm doing okay. I've had a pretty low spend week so far which is good. I filled the car up with petrol and did a small food shop but aside from that, there hasn't been much more. The petrol budget has 30 left in it and the food budget has 44. That is for the rest of the month. My entertainment budget still stands at 175 which is good and allows us funds to do some activities this upcoming week.

I've bought a couple of small items this week including a gift for a friend as she has just finished her last year of uni. It's a mug that says "I don't skinny dip, I chunky dunk". It left me with a smile on my face as it is totally appropriate to us. I will arrange to meet her this upcoming week at some point to hand it to her.

The boy received his school report on Friday. All is good and he is at where he needs to be plus excelling in some areas. As long as he tries his hardest, that's all I care about.

Yesterday was the first day of the year that the theme park by us opened up. We went along and picked up our passes and went on the park for a few hours. We met up with the boy and his friend and they both had a good time. We took a picnic and drinks with us so there were no spends there.

Today we have the boys ice skating. We usually go four times a week but I've narrowed it down to three days now by putting some lessons together which will save a small amount of money and give us more time together during the week.

I'm making cutbacks here, there and where possible. I'm holding on to hopes and dreams that I'm doing the right thing for us both with all that I do.

There are other things I need to work on but they will take time and require determination. It's all about me now and that's what I'm focusing on.

I'm off on a date today. I've been on a couple with a guy I've been talking to lately and we are going for a walk down the beach later on which should be nice and maybe back to mine for tea. I'm not sure where all of this will go or lead to but I'm having fun whilst I can. To be honest, I need the distraction.

That's pretty much it here, in the Chandelier household.. here is to the beginning on a new week!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Mar 19, 3:50 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

I've been AWOL for a while from my savings diary as I've been posting more on my DFW diary.. so I'm sorry to have neglected you all!

I'm still on track savings wise. I've been sticking to my budgets and working with what money I have leftover.

There has been quite a lot going on in my life, many of which are positives.

• I'm dating new manfriend. (We've been dating each other just over a month and all is going well. He really makes me happy; opposites do attract).
    • I've started back at the gym. (I've been going 3/4 times a week and have even tried some classes).
    • I'm losing weight. (I've lost 8lb since my last update which is good. Slow and steady wins the race).
    • I've stopped smoking. (I'm on day 10 of no smoking. All money saved has been put into seperate pot).
    • I'm still off work. (No plans to go back just yet. Everything needs to be put into place and some things need to change).
    • I'm paying off my debt slowly but surely. (I've set up a direct debit to pay 30pm and making extra payments here and there. All is on 0% so no interest at the moment!).
    • My savings are building up. (I still save a set amount each month into different accounts to build upon what I already have. Any extras are a bonus).

Whatever money I've saved so far from stopping smoking is currently going into a seperate pot which I'll allow it to build up. I'm yet to decide what I'm going to use it for, it currently has no purpose. I'm just enjoying seeing the balance increase on a daily basis. I was smoking twenty a day at the cost of 8.70 a pack.. big savings there! I worked out I spent around 245 in one month on smoking alone which was was a huge eye opener, seeing it written down in front of me. Long may it continue.

Everything else, finance wise is okay. I'm making savings here and there whilst still going out and having fun. I'm taking advantage of any offers/deals available and suitable to us e.g. 2for1 meerkat vouchers for cinema/eating out. Every little saving adds up!

I need to have a decent look at my savings and tally up where I'm at with everything. It will be good to see it all written down and keep me on track.

I've yet to plan the summer travels with the boy. I'm just waiting until my head is a bit clearer before I make plans. I also need to double check my annual leave with work before I do anything.

So a lot to do, I'm sure I'll find the time!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Mar 19, 4:13 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I've sat down and had a good think about my savings and where I want to be by the end of this year.

The aim is to;
    Save at least 7,000 by December 31st 2019

I'm not counting what I have already saved so far this year as this goal starts from today. I already allocate a set amount of money towards savings at the beginning of each month.

• HTB Isa: 200pm.
    • FD: 300pm.
    • NW: 250pm.
    Total: 750pm.

These all come out at the beginning of each month so I will start from April. Between then and December, there are nine payments.

So 750 x 9 = 6750.00.

This is what I currently save as a bare minimum each month. I'll find ways of making more savings as I go a long and build upon what I already have. I'll find a purpose for each bit of spare money I have.

I'm determined to do this. The 7000 is just the minimum of what I'd like to save. The extra will be through hardwork and determination.

I'm securing a future for both the boy & me.. whilst also enjoying ourselves along the way.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Mar 19, 4:44 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 47,374 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Welcome back glad you are dating and saving so much. It is great that you have given up smoking - v healthy and MSE at the same time. Sorry you are off work and hope you are getting better. Glad you posted as we missed you.
    Christmas Fund 108
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 14th Mar 19, 10:22 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks savingwannabe.

It's been a busy couple of days since I last posted and I've had a few spends here and there but nothing too drastic- it's all budgeted for.

So what have I been up to?! Well..
    • I went to cinema with manfriend. (He paid for the cinema tickets which came to 5 altogether as we used the 2for1 deal. I bought the snacks and drinks which came to 5.. so we were equal!).
    • I went to a close family friend funeral. (It meant all our family came together to celebrate the life of the person who passed away.
      I've decided I'm going to arrange a get together/meal out at some point for us all and that I'm going to make more of an effort to visit family. It's just hard sometimes when we don't have much time).
    • I bought two token gifts for the boys Nana/Nanny for mothers day. (I've bought them a personalised keyring each, the total spends came to 7.98) which I didnt think was too bad).
    • I treated myself to a scrapbook. (I've had my eye on this type of scrapbook for a long time and when I've previously looked at them they were so expensive. It's like the one from the film, Up. It's called 'Our Adventure Book'. I will find a purpose for this and most likely enjoy doing it.
      I quite like creative things. It only cost me 10.99 which I was happy to pay).
    • I went out for dinner on Wednesday with a friend. (I met up with one of my best friends and had a good catch up. We both ate far too much and spent around 24 each. That was for starters, main and dessert Anyhow it was only a once off and I had a good time. We discovered a new dessert place which I'm going to take the boy to at some point).
    • I bought my friend one item for her birthday. (So far I've bought her a mug which cost 7.
      I'm going to venture into town today and see if I can find a nice candle or something else for her. My total budget for her is 20, so I have a bit of wiggle room).
    • I bought my mum a small gift for mothers day. (I bought her a mug which cost 7.. more of a token gift).
    • I bought all cards needed for mothers day. (I've bought cards for everyone I need to. The total spends were 5. I now feel organised).
    • I've decided what I'm going to do as the main present for mothers day. (I'm going to make my own version of afternoon tea for my Mum and the boys Nanny. I'll make my own sandwiches/scones and will buy some small cakes to go with it. This means I will save money rather then going out somewhere for it.. rather MSE I must say!).
    • I've been to doctors appointment regarding the boy. (All my concerns were discussed an a referral has been made which I'm happy about).
    • I've decided I want to come off one of my medications. (Since I started one of my medications, I have gained around 20lb which I'm not happy about and I am struggling to lose it. I've discussed this with my CPN and we have agreed that I'll start to taper it down and hopefully by time my consultant appt come round, we can discuss alternatives).
    • I've booked an appointment for the boys parents evening. (I've invited his Nanny to join us and have factored it in amongst other things).
    • I've arranged a wellbeing meeting with work and emailed my union rep with the details. (This is scheduled for next week, I'm not looking forward to it but I have no updates to give them at the moment. I guess I'm just checking in).

That's just a couple of things which have happened. I have another small to do list to which I'm aiming to tackle.
    • Sort out appointment at local clinic. (I want to look into alternative treatments to what I'm currently on).
    • Phone up about other health related appointments. (There are a few things I need to follow up).
    • Nip to town. (This will be a quick trip as I'm only going to look for an additional gift for my friends birthday next week. I'll park further away and walk into town to save on car parking.
    • Nip to home bargains. (I'm only going in for one thing so will avoid all other aisles. I'm known to spend randomly in there.. I don't need anymore random items).
    • Do small food shop. (I just need to pick up fresh items like bagels/milk/fruit etc).

That's pretty much it I think for now.. I'm sure I'll think of other stuff along the way.

And last but not least, I'm happy to report it's Day 11 of stopping smoking and all is going well. The money I've saved is building up which I'm happy about and I just need to decide what I'm going to do with it. I've yet to figure this out.

Bye for now!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Mar 19, 5:47 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 47,374 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh have you been busy. The cinema date sounds great. Well done on gifts for nanna and mother for Mother's Day and for friend. I hope son is ok and parents evening goes well.

Good luck with coming off medication do it slowly and listen to your body and also vv good luck at work meeting I hope they are kind and supportive.
    Christmas Fund 108
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,136Posts Today

4,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin