Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,309Posts
    • 13,795Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 7
    • murie
    • By murie 5th Feb 19, 7:16 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 9,947 Thanks
    murie
    Nic- teenage boys can be horrible, my DD went through pretty much the same thing in year 10.
    As you say - she has her dancing to focus on, but please keep an eye on her situation and if necessary make an appointment with the school. I hope the immature little *** grows up sharp and leaves her alone x.

Hello. Just to say reading this has got me all motivated for Christmastime. I put £35 on an Asda card and if I get it to £280 by November they will give me £15. So thanks for this thread.
    Originally posted by SSUPER

Ooh you just reminded me that I started a savings card at Asda at the weekend! I had an issue a month or so before Christmas and customer services gave me a gift card with £5 on it which has just been knocking around in the bottom of my bag, I decided to put a my change from the weekly shop each week onto it (within reason lol). Hopefully by Christmas I will have enough for all our goodies.
    Ive also started saving 50p coins (although since I started they seem to be in scarce supply).

Nothing Christmassy going on at the moment so Ive not posted but I have been reading along x
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 5th Feb 19, 10:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the thread SSUPER. Is that an actual savings card with Asda? I know they used to do something where you buy stamps, is it like that? Is it a set amount you have to save or do you pick your own amount? Sorry for all the questions, I should probably look it up online but as youíre actually doing it.........

KERRI I must admit Iíd like to stop at 18 too, that would cut one more out for this year and another one in two years time. All the others are still in single figures so theyíve got a few years to go yet lol. Iím going to broach the Ďletís only buy for the childrení subject this week so fingers crossed!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 6th Feb 19, 6:02 PM
    • 4,686 Posts
    • 28,609 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Peppa some info here https://cards.asda.com/card/ChristmasSaving - good they have a tiered bonus too as not everyone can (or wants to) save ths same amount.

Hope everyone is ok. Nothing overly christmassy happening here just waiting for spring. But at least the nights are drawing out a bit more now
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Feb 19, 6:35 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 53,150 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Good luck broaching the subject Peppa I must admit I was slightly dreading it, but my responses varied from "ok", to "ok I'll let you tell him" (which I never actually did, jut stopped) and one I delegated to OH to mention...not sure if he ever did or not. In the end I decided I didn't actually care if anyone took offence, gifts are a choice, not an obligation.

I did feel a bit bad about siblings where one would hit 18 before the other, then figured that they would have had the years before said sibling was born so it was still fair....and if they didn't think so, well I was gifting them a valuable life lesson that life doesn't always seem fair

Picked up a little YS pj top (but could just be a long sleeved t shirt) for
    DN for this Xmas in the m&s sale. It should have been part of a 6 piece £25 set but seemed to have lost all its siblings so was marked a £1.50 itself.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 6th Feb 19, 8:39 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks STOKIE, Iíll have a read.

Lol at the life lesson KERRI.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 8th Feb 19, 2:22 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 16,828 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Is it this one that you posted a couple of years ago? easy fudge
    Originally posted by lazysheep

yes, that's the one ! i was convinced there was another ingredient .It didn't taste right though so i binned it .
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones thereís a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 9th Feb 19, 10:20 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    pixielottie
    I did feel a bit bad about siblings where one would hit 18 before the other, then figured that they would have had the years before said sibling was born so it was still fair....and if they didn't think so, well I was gifting them a valuable life lesson that life doesn't always seem fair
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I will never forget one Christmas some family friends had the policy that they didn't buy gifts for children once they turned 18, which is fine...

I was the first to turn 18, I am 6 years older than the oldest of the "kids" - but what sucked was they bought presents for the adults, so my gran, my mum, my dad, and they bought presents for the kids. So in a room of 9 people everyone got presents but me

The lesson I got from it, was that I will always buy everyone "something" even if it's just a chocolate orange. Being the only person in a room to get nothing is a little bit heartbreaking. We all buy for everyone now.

It has always been a weird thing though with me not being one of the "grown ups" but being so much older than the "kids" I mean I'm nearly 30 now, and the "kids" are all in their 20's and it's only just in the last couple of years, when their oldest lad bought a house and my sister went to uni that I've fitted in with them a bit more.

I popped into morrisons yesterday I don't know how but they still have Christmas sale stuff... So I bought some present ribbons, there a couple too cheesey for me, actually shaped to read ho ho ho. So I'll pop those seperate to go to the charity shop and just keep the ones I'm likely to use. For the last couple of years I've said I'm going to do a gift wrap blog post but never got round to it, maybe if I start planning now
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

(Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 9th Feb 19, 12:15 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 17,905 Thanks
    nic2075
    Thanks for the advice and nice words for DD. Things got a bit better this week. She seemed happier too. She said she is trying to ignore them so they lose interest.

I popped into boots to see what they had left. They had quite a few things at 70%, but nothing I would buy as gifts, so I didnít get anything.

That sucks Pixielottie. I think itís a good idea not to buy automatically once they are 18. But if all the adults get a gift, then no one should be left out.
    This year we did a secret Santa between my sisters and my brother in laws. It worked out well and meant just buying one decent gift. Usually I buy both sisters something nice, but the brother in laws get a silly gift, or a dvd and smellies. This year we all made more of an effort. The only ones we bought for were my dad and the kids. Saved in money and stress.
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 9th Feb 19, 2:45 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    pixielottie
    nic2075 - Secret Santa is always a brilliant way of buying nice but saving money, I always do secret santa with my college friends (scarily over 10 years since we left college now :| ). I'm starting a petition to up the budget this year, we've stuck to £15 since we were 16, we can all afford more now and I think it's making it harder than it needs to be, especially as for the last 3 years I've had one of my friends husbands so can't even just go for a nice bottle of something >.<

I've been avoiding boots thinking nothing would be left but I may have to go for a nosey next time I'm in town... my "present stash" needs a bit of a refill. I've picked up a few cheap "bulk things up" type bits and bobs from Superdrug recently, nothing exciting but face masks, and beauty blenders.
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

(Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Feb 19, 4:47 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 53,150 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Pixielottie that's s real tough one if everyone else in the room gets gifts.

OH is one of 6 and it varies between siblings who gets gifts and who doesn't for b'days and Xmas, the 'boys' don't seem to bother, one SIL has great intentions but is usually tied up with her young kids and two other SIL usually do b'days and sometimes Xmas. One said no gifts this year, we'd go out even though I had bought hers already so I just kept it. Although with everything that happened at Xmas the meal didn't happen either.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 9th Feb 19, 5:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    PIXIELOTT thatís an awful thing for them to do. How can you be neither child nor adult? Well whatever we end up doing it definitely wonít be that. I think not buying for the adults makes financial sense but I just canít bring myself to do it - I think because buying the pressies is what I enjoy in the run up to Christmas. What Iíve suggested is that we stop buying for the Ďchildrení at 18 and do our £10 limit for the adults so up to 18 weíll spend £30-£40 (the children are all our grandchildren) and after that itíll go down to £10 and theyíll be adults. To be honest I enjoy finding good pressies for £10 much more enjoyable anyway. Weíll still buy for birthdays though.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 9th Feb 19, 8:26 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Well I made my suggestions to DDs and DSis - the debate is still raging! Whoíd have thought thereíd be so many differing views.

For some reason my screen keeps alternating between the old format and the new one. Very confusing.
    • Linz4383
    • By Linz4383 10th Feb 19, 12:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Linz4383
    Hi everyone 😃🎅🏻🎅🏻
    Just found this year's Xmas thread! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up this year 😂😂
    Already started for Xmas as we have 3 kids and most of our bdays and family bdays are between September and January!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 19, 2:51 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 53,150 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Well I made my suggestions to DDs and DSis - the debate is still raging! Whoíd have thought thereíd be so many differing views.

For some reason my screen keeps alternating between the old format and the new one. Very confusing.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    At the end of the day, do what is right and works for you. If people fall out over who buys what for whom then they need to remember what Christmas is about (except Pixie who is right to feel miffed about the adult / child / neither thing )
    JAN NSD 11/16

• nic2075
    • By nic2075 10th Feb 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 17,905 Thanks
    nic2075

Just curious which format do you use? I never got on with the new one. Iíve been using the old one the whole time
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Feb 19, 7:01 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Me too NIC. It seems fine again today but yesterday it changed to the new one then logged me out (thankfully after last time I got logged out I kept a note of my log in) then kept swapping between old and new. Iím sure the new one is fine but I know where I am with the old one.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 10th Feb 19, 7:42 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 13,438 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Pixielot that's so awful. l hope they realised what they had done and were suitably ashamed!
    Nic, how mature and sensible of your DD. she is one super young lady.
    Still waiting for the new baby, not due till tomorrow, but l am not a patient great aunt. DGN says she wants a baby brother, or a puppy.
    DGS has sciatica, and sacro-ilie-itis fortunately they don't think it is a disc problem. At 6' 5'' he has a long back!!!
    Sweetie that he is, he has bought valentines things for his girlfriend but also a nomin@tion charm of a heart for his mum. She doesn't know yet, l forsee tears.

Caught the M&s 90% sale on Friday, managed to get a good few gifts to go towards Christmas, both for children and family, also got myself 2 lovely pairs of shoes (lmelda Marcos-a-like) and some tops. and 10p wrapping paper.
    Also some lovely candles in the Argoose clearance.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 19, 8:39 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 53,150 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Me too NIC. It seems fine again today but yesterday it changed to the new one then logged me out (thankfully after last time I got logged out I kept a note of my log in) then kept swapping between old and new. Iím sure the new one is fine but I know where I am with the old one.
    Mine logged me out too, must've been updating the backend with something?
    JAN NSD 11/16

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 12th Feb 19, 9:39 AM
    • 2,638 Posts
    • 36,030 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Morning everyone, Iím sitting here waiting for the drain people to come out, very boring! I thought I would cheer myself up and come on here and see what you have all been up to. I picked up some clothes in the George sale for Thumper to put away for Christmas. When I was with exH his family were a nightmare to buy for, so I made the decision to only buy for kids it didnít go down well, then as the years went by they visited less n less and we would end up with the kids Christmas presents sitting around til Easter so I made myself unpopular again and said Iím not buying anymore for anyone.

KERRIGT I love your attitude to the present buying you are dead right, itís a choice not an obligation. Sorry your Christmas didnít go to plan

NIC Iím glad your DD is happier the early teens are such a mixture of hormones. The little git will get his comeuppance. I also had trouble logging in, and thought it was the same as you after I calmed down getting ratty with it, I realised I was putting the wrong password in

PEPPAPIG I hope you can all come to an agreement about Christmas. I thought about secret Santa but it would work out Dd2 and OH would be spending the same amount they do now! So it wouldnít benefit them but it would us three.

MRSINVISIBLE wow no Boots sale for you this year?? I donít know how you do it, I hear such bad stories about fights and people blocking off the aisles with trolleys I hope your DGS back gets better soon itís horrible when they are so young and got back pain. Has your DGN baby come yet?

PIXIELOTTIE OMG I canít believe anyone would do that!!! I would be so embarrassed to do that. I love that you came out of that situation with a positive look on present buying

SSUPER hi and welcome

LINZ welcome back

CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Feb 19, 9:10 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE do you know I never knew to buy or not to buy (see what I did there could be so complicated. My problem really is that I like buying the presents but I just feel itís lost something recently. We all ask each other for suggestions what to get for each other and then Iím wracking my brains for what mum, sis and two DDs can get DH and I have to give DH ideas of what people can get for me and really Iíd be happier with a small pressie thatís a surprise but that someone has seen and thought of me. Weíre no further forward really but Iíve told everyone Iíve set my budget at £10 per adult so if we go for secret Santa Iíll still have the money to cover it and if we decide not to buy Iíll have spare money - win win
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,439Posts Today

5,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin