Capability for work -autism

Options
My 23 yr old son has Autism.He was back then on UC- and because of his Autism moved to ESA
They called him to Job centre for work search.I told them he was not capable of work It took a 2 further attempts before they decided he indeed need not attend the Job centre.
He was then assessed for a Work Capability Assessment -where i explained the situation- and there wasn't any issues regarding this.
However, he will be on 3rd Work Capability Assessment this January.
So , i assumed his lifelong condition and me making it clear he was not capable of work -meant he would not have to complete questionnaires and attend assessments again
Or is this not how it works and are claimants regularly reviewed regardless of circumstances ?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's impossible for your son to have claimed UC then go back onto ESA. Once you claim UC you can't go back onto ESA.

Your thoughts on how it works is not correct. He'll be reassessed regularly, regardless of his conditions and how they affect him.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    It's impossible for your son to have claimed UC then go back onto ESA. Once you claim UC you can't go back onto ESA.

Your thoughts on how it works is not correct. He'll be reassessed regularly, regardless of his conditions and how they affect him.

I can see confusion ."He was back then" i meant as in general time /year.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tali wrote: »
    I can see confusion ."He was back then" i meant as in general time /year.
    Confusion or not, you still can't go back onto ESA once you've claimed UC.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    tali wrote: »
    My 23 yr old son has Autism.He was back then on UC- and because of his Autism moved to ESA
    They called him to Job centre for work search.I told them he was not capable of work It took a 2 further attempts before they decided he indeed need not attend the Job centre.
    He was then assessed for a Work Capability Assessment -where i explained the situation- and there wasn't any issues regarding this.
    However, he will be on 3rd Work Capability Assessment this January.
    So , i assumed his lifelong condition and me making it clear he was not capable of work -meant he would not have to complete questionnaires and attend assessments again
    Or is this not how it works and are claimants regularly reviewed regardless of circumstances ?

There are many lifelong conditions, but it's not about the condition - it's about whether he is assessed as fit to work or not. It is not your decision. I don't know enough about UC to comment on that, but for ESA, almost all claimants are reassessed. There has been a move to stop reassessment for some claimants who are not likely to ever improve. The conditions mentioned include dementia, Huntingdon's, and severe learning disabilities caused by chromosomal abnormalities. Autism is not mentioned.

Are you your son's appointee?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    UC can be viewed as having two parts, one which replaced JSA and the other which replaced ESA. In this instance I'm assuming that when he initially went onto UC he was reassessed but ended up on the LCWRA? arm of the system. Whether he was on ESA or UC he would still be reassessed at times, even with a lifelong condition. In some cases all that is required is the form (old ESA50) to be completed and the assessment can be done entirely from that.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is he in receipt of PIP?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is he in receipt of PIP?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71408704#post71408704
    My 21 year old son has autism.He receives ESA(Support Group) and PIP Encahnced rate (till 2026) from 2014.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 December 2018 at 6:57PM
    Options
    They need to reassess because not everyone with autism is unable to work. My hubby is a lecturer with autism!

Does he also have a learning disability? That's probably the only thing that would mean no reassessing.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Yes he had learning disability and was on SEN at school.Yes i am his appointee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure