Policy Expert-Claim amount of ZERO?!?

Hi,
So I had a little trouble with some storm damage to my roof. Checked my policy with Policy expert and as long as it appeared to be covered. Called the claims line and was surprised to be put through to Trinity Claims and not Policy direct. Anyway, they promised to send out a Surveyor. So waited for the call and nothing, a few days had past and I decided to call them back and ask what was happening. It was only then that they informed me that I will have to pay for a temporary repair and more than likely this would not be reimbursed. Anyway, the cost of someone coming out and doing a temporary repair wasn't much less than someone doing a permanent repair. I decided just to pay for the permanent repair and cancel my claim. I will add that Policy Expert, and Trinity claims were close to useless: neither company had any knowledge of their terms. The whole episode was painful to say the least: on hold forever and a day, promises of call-backs never happening and no real knowledge of their products or procedures. I was just happy to get my roof fixed and to not have to deal with either of these two companies again. At this point nothing had been paid to me, no one had been to review the damage. I said that I just got the repair done myself. As I had cancelled my claim, I asked that the claim be removed from their system. They said that it could not be removed and that it will need to be declared as a claim in future. I asked what I had “claimed” for exactly as I had received nothing, and they said that it will be a claim for “Nothing”. Ok, so now I’m a little lost. If I try and add a claim to any of the comparison websites, it will not let me be put zero as the claim amount. I sort of get that it was a claim, albeit a cancelled claim, which obviously I’m not happy about as I was never told that the claim cannot be cancelled, but how exactly can a claim for nothing be a claim? More importantly, how do I enter ZERO as an amount for a claim on any of these websites? I’ve even tried to enter it direct without going through comparisons and I still am not able to enter ZERO.

So what do I do? Do I say no I haven’t claimed in the last five years? Won’t that now make any further insurance invalid? I can’t add it to any of the websites as it will not accept a Zero.

Policy Expert are the worst company that I have encountered in the insurance market. They clearly entice people by offering low premiums. What has become apparent to me is that they make it so difficult for anyone to make a claim that it kind of defeats the purpose of having the insurance in the first place. I will not make the mistake of using this company again.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You tick yes you have made a claim and/or suffered a loss/damage.

If you say no, then you may not be covered in the future.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Enter £1.00
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Surely then you run the risk of also having your insurance invalidated as you aren't being truthful. The claim amount is zero, but the problem is that you cannot add zero as an amount on any of the comparison sites or direct with new insurer- it won't let you proceed unless you enter a number.
    It''s all totally ridiculas if you ask me, all this grief and insurance renewal hikes for nothing....thanks a bunch Policy Expert
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    It isn't for "nothing".

You experienced a loss and made a claim. Most insurers ask for your history of claims or losses then that could have resulted in a claim. Yours will be now on the shared database so must be disclosed to other insurers

Next time you have a loss don't contact your insurer unless you are certainly going to claim
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely then you run the risk of also having your insurance invalidated as you aren't being truthful.

So, tell the truth. Answer the question exactly as it is asked.
    The claim amount is zero, but the problem is that you cannot add zero as an amount on any of the comparison sites or direct with new insurer- it won't let you proceed unless you enter a number.

That is a limitation of comparison sites and online sites. However, its a known limitation and their products are built and priced to reflect that. They tend to operate different versions for the distribution channels that ask more questions or get to clarify details. This is why sometimes the old fashioned methods can come in better.

In your case, it wasnt actually a claim but a notification. It still needs to be declared but you did not proceed beyond the notification to a claim. if you are having a problem with a particular comparison site entering zero then use another one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I had a very similar experience to freddy5150 i would not deal with this company again external pipe insurance basically useless and i end up paying for the entire replacement
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Enter the cost of the repair. Underwriters are more interested in the severity (cost) than in whether you claimed or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure