Employment contract

:T:T:money:]Hi guys
Hope someone out there can help me. I recently started work with the Civil Service. A contract was mutually signed and agreed upon. My monthly wage is massively under what my contract says I should be earning. Is a work contract legally binding regardless of any errors in wage made on it? Thanks all

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What does your contract say your salary is?

What was your pay this month?
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What date did you start? What is the pay period?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 December 2018 at 7:24PM
    Sizzy wrote: »
    Hope someone out there can help me. I recently started work with the Civil Service. A contract was mutually signed and agreed upon. My monthly wage is massively under what my contract says I should be earning. Is a work contract legally binding regardless of any errors in wage made on it? Thanks all

If you want legal advice, please see a lawyer, many do a free 15/ 30 minute initial consultation. Your union would be an alternative source of info.

Your post is light on details, like what date you started and when pay day is. E,g, you could have been paid for a part month as first pay packet.

What was the advertised salary? Was the amount in the written contract different and you didn't point it out at the time?

The usual thing to do is speak to payroll and see on what basis they've paid you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Very unusual for the CS to pay a different salary to that agreed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you confusing gross with net
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What was said at interview or in your offer letter? Is the mistake that the contract had the wrong number in or that the contract is correct and the payment amount is wrong?

check whether there are any deductions (including tax) you weren't expecting - e.g. is it possible you're on an emergency tax code or something of that kind which might affect the net?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have you accounted for extras such as pension contributions and any student loan payments?
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • Sizzy wrote: »
    There is pretty much zero chance you have been lied to, so please don’t go down that route.

Things which may be behind the disparity include;

You forgot Tax
    The tax is on the wrong code
    You are being paid for a partial month up front
    You have the pay frequency wrong
    Someone has made a mistake on your pay.

Why don’t you provide some figures so people can offer more accurate advice?
  • You are a new starter paid by the hour that hasn't worked actual full hours being new.

My last new job after 3 weeks worked I was paid 2 weeks and a week in hand retained to last to the next month's pay.

Could be absolutely anything. Of course if you are not achieving mimimum wage for your age then you have every right to have the hump and question it. But I wouldn't be surprised if less hours in first week or two whilst you are getting up and running, means less pay.

My highest paid job of 2018 never found it in them to be bothered paying 6 day's wages - far to much for them.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Mistakes do happen, but if your contract is wrong (with a difference you describe as massive) expect them to issue you a new one rather than hoping to hold them to the mistake for future payments.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Also, how recently did you start work, and what is the period over which pay is calculated? It may be, if this is your first wage slip, that it has to do with what the pay period is and whether you are paid in advance or arrears or a combination.

In the fist instance, I would suggest that you check the things such as deductions, tax code and pay period, then ask HR to clarify. Don't accuse them of anything, as if it is a genuine mistake, or a misunderstanding on your part, you don't want to go in all guns blazing.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure