Best company/handler for reclaiming PPI

Options
I've looked over the site but can't find anything on a good company to use to do this for us.

We have tried to do it ourselves but not luck at all.

thank you

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 December 2018 at 5:39PM
    Options
    If you've complained once, you can't employ someone else to complain again, they'd just refer back to the original rejection, and you could get charged by the CMC for wasting their time.

You only get one go.

There no "good" CMCs, all they do is post your complaint for you, charging a fortune for the stamp in the process.
  • pinna65
    Options
    Thank you for your help
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    pinna65 wrote: »

Have you considered the possibility that you never had any PPI?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    People seem to think ppi claims companies have a magic wand and can find out easily.

You give them all the information , they know nothing apart from what you tell them .

They send template letters which are available on here for free.

Always do it yourself
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dabozuk
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    People seem to think ppi claims companies have a magic wand and can find out easily.
    Because that’s exactly how the adverts pitch it.

I have literally no idea if I ever took out PPI for loans and policies over 20 years ago. Pretty sure I never did in last 20 years. The adverts imply they will find out “by magic”. And funnily enough I don’t have paperwork for 20 year old plus loans, so how would I know if I had PPI. No wonder there is still billions unclaimed.

There’s no doubt a lot of people who have now idea or any evidence they even had it. And that money will be forever unclaimed.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dabozuk wrote: »
    Because that’s exactly how the adverts pitch it.

I have literally no idea if I ever took out PPI for loans and policies over 20 years ago. Pretty sure I never did in last 20 years. The adverts imply they will find out “by magic”. And funnily enough I don’t have paperwork for 20 year old plus loans, so how would I know if I had PPI. No wonder there is still billions unclaimed.

There’s no doubt a lot of people who have now idea or any evidence they even had it. And that money will be forever unclaimed.

There is no money "unclaimed", indeed, there never was. People complain about PPI being miss-sold and the case is examined and decided on. Millions of people had it, yet many people were not miss-sold and either are happy with the product or don't believe they were miss-sold or don't want to jump on a bandwagon of trying to get money back they know in their hearts was not miss-sold.

As ever with cases of wrong doing, the onus is on the accuser to provide evidence of miss-sale, if you don't have records and the bank don't then how do you know you were miss-sold it?

I know for a fact every financial institution I had credit products with since I was 18 and that was nearly 20 years back. I probably don't have records but then again I'm not alleging wrong doing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No wonder there is still billions unclaimed.
    There has certainly been £billions refunded, but the estimate of still possible refunds is far less than you seem to imagine. This is the reason the whole PPI complaint process will be wound up in August next year and why there are adverts all over the media informing everyone of the impending deadline.
    You also need to be aware that having PPI is not intrinsically wrong, in order for it be refunded it has to be shown to have been mis-sold.
  • dabozuk
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    There is no money "unclaimed", indeed, there never was. People complain about PPI being miss-sold and the case is examined and decided on.

The “people” are regularly told statements from advertising that lead them to the positions that you appear to judge them against. For example just google “PPI unclaimed billions”.

The “people” seem to be “complaining” because they’re being told incorrect statements.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just google “PPI unclaimed billions”.
    That advertising is from Claims Management Companies and is simply hyperbole.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The “people” are regularly told statements from advertising that lead them to the positions that you appear to judge them against. For example just google “PPI unclaimed billions”.

The “people” seem to be “complaining” because they’re being told incorrect statements.

Adverts yes - from claims companies dangling the carrot of free money in from of greedy people because they will get a cut of any payout. CMCs have always had the mantra of "claiming" money back, the adverts frequently contained lies such as suggesting it was added onto your finance without your knowledge or that it was hidden in interest - they rely on getting people to sign up by claiming to have expertise or insider knowledge to fool people into using them rather than complaining directly.

If you feel you were miss-sold then you put in your complaint with your reasons and the bank will look it it. You are not owed anything however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure