Land Registry Charge Error

Hi there, I really hope you can help me. In 2006 we took out a secured loan with First Plus. The loan was paid off in full in 2007. This was the last we thought about it until we came to sell our property. On 28th November we exchanged contracts, on the 30th our solicitor rang to advise he had paid off our mortgage but needs details of the second charge on the property so this could be paid off too. It was from this and numerous phone calls, we realised that the charge had never been removed when the loan was paid. This whole spectacle started over two weeks ago and we are still waiting, with my solicitor getting more and more agitated with the whole situation. To make matters worse, I am presently off work with anxiety and depression, which is only being exasperated by all of this. We have been offers compensation from the bank, but I wanted to know where we stand legally before we accept or reject the offer?

Many Thanks

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You should ask for the charge to be removed.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure why your solicitor is dragging their feet. You're paying them to sort this stuff out, not the other way round.
  • Have First Plus started the process of removing the charge? When do you complete (or should that already have happened)?
  • They have started the process, it’s just taking ages. We should have completed 2 weeks ago!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure