post Office Credit Card Shambles

Options

Comments

• mab3000
    mab3000 Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well the letter they sent out prior to me calling them arrived today telling me that I needed to provide ID.

What’s funny is that in the letter they asked me to provide 1 form of ID each from 2 separate lists and they must be certified photocopies and either email them or post them.

However what I emailed off was a home scan of my passport and driving licence obviously that wasn’t certified, and what I used as an ID combination was actually wrong according to this letter as I supposedly couldn’t use my driving license as address ID, but they accepted it anyway ��

Also worryingly it seems like it’s normal practice to send the card out before they may ask for ID as the standard template letter seems to suggest.
  • martin177
    Options
    Another criticism of Post Office CC is their contradictory policy on informing them of overseas travel:
    There is no mention anywhere on their website if you have to tell them of overseas usage.
    The Post Office Credit card app has is a feature to let them know.
    If away for over 30 days the app says to call them!
    Spoke to two different people who could not help ,then during yet another on hold menu choice a message said there is no need to let them know if travelling abroad.
    Mixed confusing messages !!!
  • mab3000
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience of raising a complaint to post office money and the timescale they take to resolve it?

It's been about 3 weeks since I wrote to them with the complaint, and apart from a letter confirming that they have logged the complaint and will be in touch, I haven't heard a thing from them since. I appreciate that the letter says they look to resolve complaints within 8 weeks, however complaints I have made to financial institutions in the past have been dealt with in a matter of days rather than weeks, and this sort of timescale seems a bit excessive for the nature of my complaint.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This can vary massively depending upon a number of factors... they are given 8 weeks to respond for a reason.

If you are in doubt however I would contact them to confirm they have received your complaint.

On a personal note I had a complaint with them a couple years back, however found them truly awful to deal with so I wish you every success!
  • 7sefton
    7sefton Posts: 607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too am experiencing absolutely appalling service after opening a new Platinum Credit Card with the Post Office.

Very similar to the OP above, I applied online and was accepted. Card and PIN arrived in post, only for the card to be blocked (despite the fact I activated it).

No notification, text, email from Post Office. So called them, and was told they needed ID to open the account. I was completely confused - I thought the account was open? And to make matters worse, I am going on holiday next week and wanted to use the card.

Advisor said I would get an email with next steps. Email asks for 2 types of ID, certified at 'my local Post Office'. So I went to my local Post Office, only to be told only 'big Post Offices' certify ID.

Incredible amount of time wasted to jump through ridiculous hoops. Surely this isn't normal or acceptable?
  • mab3000
    Options
    7sefton wrote: »
    I too am experiencing absolutely appalling service after opening a new Platinum Credit Card with the Post Office.

Very similar to the OP above, I applied online and was accepted. Card and PIN arrived in post, only for the card to be blocked (despite the fact I activated it).

No notification, text, email from Post Office. So called them, and was told they needed ID to open the account. I was completely confused - I thought the account was open? And to make matters worse, I am going on holiday next week and wanted to use the card.

Advisor said I would get an email with next steps. Email asks for 2 types of ID, certified at 'my local Post Office'. So I went to my local Post Office, only to be told only 'big Post Offices' certify ID.

Incredible amount of time wasted to jump through ridiculous hoops. Surely this isn't normal or acceptable?

I am so surprised that this seems to be the norm for them to do this!

Have they said how they want you to send them the identification? I simply sent them a home scan of my passport and driving licence (without the ID being certified) via email and they accepted it and removed the block on the card. And that's despite me receiving a letter a few days later saying I needed to send a certified copy and that technically I couldn't use both passport and driving licence...
  • mab3000
    Options
    Over 5 weeks have past and still haven't had my complaint resolved. All I have received is a second standard letter advising me it was still under investigation and they have sent this letter as they said in the previous letter I would receive an update within 4 weeks (the second letter arrived a few days after this 4 week period...).

I had emailed them asking for an update on the complaint with the contact details they provided on the original letter nearly a week ago, still yet to receive a reply...
  • mab3000
    Options
    8 weeks are up, and still the complaint I made has not been resolved. Apart from the generic letters I have received, they have made no contact with me. Despite in the generic letters saying I could contact them with any questions on the contact details provided, I received no response to the email I sent. When I called up a few weeks ago to try and find out what is going on, they say it was still under investigation, and admitted they have received the email I sent...

So after all this it appears that Post Office Money are just a complete waste of space in the banking world. I was wondering, is it even worth the bother of taking this complaint further? Financially, I lost out on around £20 as the original price my car insurance quote went up between trying to buy the car insurance when the card was blocked and when I actually purchased the policy when it was unblocked (god knows why) but would be a bit difficult to prove.

I'm frankly amazed they haven't resolved my complaint within 8 weeks. Shows how incompetent this company are. As the service has been so appalling, I am considering transferring the balance somewhere else, even if it does end up costing me the balance transfer fee again!
  • mab3000
    Options
    So the outcome in the end was that they did not uphold my complaint. They barely addressed any of the issues that I raised in my complaint at all, didn't even mention why the card was sent out before they had satisfied required identity checks, which was the main question that was asked in my complaint which I wanted an answer for. They even suggested that letting me email them the 2 identity documents was doing me some sort of favour (?). All they said that the time I had to wait on the phone to talk to someone wasn't acceptable and have offered me a small amount of compensation for the cost of phone calls. And this was the result of an investigation that has taken 8 weeks to complete...

Oh and I only know the outcome of this because I called them up today to find out what is going on as I hadn't heard anything...

After expressing my dissatisfaction with the outcome whilst I was on the phone they have re opened the complaint. But I've now decided I just can't be bothered to do anything else with this now, not worth the hassle. But am planning to move this debt away from the Post Office credit card as soon as possible and cut the thing up.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mab3000 wrote: »
    So the outcome in the end was that they did not uphold my complaint. They barely addressed any of the issues that I raised in my complaint at all, didn't even mention why the card was sent out before they had satisfied required identity checks, which was the main question that was asked in my complaint which I wanted an answer for. They even suggested that letting me email them the 2 identity documents was doing me some sort of favour (?). All they said that the time I had to wait on the phone to talk to someone wasn't acceptable and have offered me a small amount of compensation for the cost of phone calls. And this was the result of an investigation that has taken 8 weeks to complete...

Oh and I only know the outcome of this because I called them up today to find out what is going on as I hadn't heard anything...

After expressing my dissatisfaction with the outcome whilst I was on the phone they have re opened the complaint. But I've now decided I just can't be bothered to do anything else with this now, not worth the hassle. But am planning to move this debt away from the Post Office credit card as soon as possible and cut the thing up.

Send it to the ombudsman: just copy your original complaint, no trouble. That way you might get redress and their awfulness will be on the record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure