Hilarious finding about Audi drivers

Options

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As much as I like some of their cars, I do despair at the kind of ads that Audi put out at the moment, especially compared to some of the great ads they've had in the past. It's almost as if someone at their ad company has done a spoof ad just for a laugh, and they've picked it.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The power of advertising, status anxiety, the need to impress others and keep up with the Jones's makes it easy to part people from their money. Wandered into a VW dealer the other day and it was packed with men drooling over the suv range.
    It was a weekday! Imagine all of the future earnings brought forward that day?
    Spent a few quid on some door card fittings and left, got them at trade prices too, result.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    but money savers are anti-expensive cars. Cars are just a device to move you around. It can be done very cheaply or very expensively.

Nope - Money Savers is about making sure you don't pay more for what you are buying (assuming you can afford it) than you need too.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Options

The more expensive the car the more you lose.

Not necessarily, but its certainly harder to do than it used to be.

I don't think anyone is anti Audi/BMW/Merc but money savers are anti-expensive cars. Cars are just a device to move you around. It can be done very cheaply or very expensively.

It can, yes, however life isnt - to me anyway - about just "making do" or eking out a lifestyle. We're not here for a particularly long time in the grand scheme of things so if someone wants to spend a bit extra on something less utilitarian than say an entry level Dacia - and can afford it - then fair enough.

And likewise its not up to me to judge IF i think they can afford it or not.

And MSE is not about purely money saving by NOT spending more than you absolutely need to, its about ensuring that you dont spend more than you need to for the particular thing you want.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could not care less what anyone else drives, lives in, eats or wears. Their lifestyle, their income and how they use it, is their affair. I have no jealousy for the Jaguar, BMW or Audi owner. Their money, their buying power and no business of anyone else.

However, I do have very strong feelings about the tarted-up white Fiesta that was tailgating me on a journey today. I kept braking and he kept backing off, which seemed to amuse his blonde gf. When I reached a good straight country road, I booted my little Hyundai iX20 and left him in my dust. This happens occasionally, because all they see is a little Hyundai. They don't see the 1.6 twin cam, 24 valve, 125 bhp under the bonnet. I don't make a habit of such acceleration, but it was good to see (when they finally caught me, serenely doing 30 in a 30 zone) that the gf was no longer amused. And when they caught sight of my huge 19 yo dgs in the passenger seat, the dumb driver turned off onto another road.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I think we can all agree that if someone wants to waste a load of money on an expensive car that's up to them. People have the freedom to waste it however they like.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The whole car ownership thing to me is just a case of the kings new clothes, I seem to be the only one who can see the madness.

So you have a car that's newer than mine, costs much more than mine, makes you feel really important and classy. You think your better than others because the car you drive "says" so.

Yet mine gets from a to b at a fraction of the cost of yours and was purchased after most of the depreciation had gone.

I love seeing the expensive cars o the roads, may as well have "fool" written on the roof.
    Pants
  • motorguy
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »

So you have a car that's newer than mine, costs much more than mine, makes you feel really important and classy. You think your better than others because the car you drive "says" so.

Well theres a prime example of reverse snobbery and for that matter, inferiority complex.... :eek:
  • motorguy
    Options
    I think we can all agree that if someone wants to [STRIKE]waste[/STRIKE] spend a load of money on an expensive car that's up to them. People have the freedom to [STRIKE]waste[/STRIKE] spend it however they like.

Edited For Accuracy.

Not up to you or i to judge.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    The whole car ownership thing to me is just a case of the kings new clothes, I seem to be the only one who can see the madness.

Yet mine gets from a to b at a fraction of the cost of yours and was purchased after most of the depreciation had gone.

I love seeing the expensive cars o the roads, may as well have "fool" written on the roof.
    You may jest but I regularly walk past houses that you can see straight into that look like complete s..t holes. On the drive a gleaming new Audi (or similar) with it's hand stitched fine Nappa leather! Bonkers, better accommodation outside than in! Still, as long as it keeps them on the hamster wheel....
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport