My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Here's hoping for good news for both your Mums. :)

OBL, I can imagine if we could concertina time and bring 1953 to the present day, you and my Mum would have lots of stories to swap!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Here's hoping for good news for both your Mums. :)

OBL, I can imagine if we could concertina time and bring 1953 to the present day, you and my Mum would have lots of stories to swap!

Yes we would :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Arrrggghhhh lost my post
    In short today I went to my Occupational Health appointment today and although the appointment was on the whole a waste of time he has recommended that I cut my hours on a trial basis,he did say I should check with the pension people though as it can adversely effect my final pension
    The whole appointment made me feel like crap so I went next door to Waitrose and bought a coffee and a huge cake,this was followed by a trip into town where I bought myself a dress:eek: I do need a dress for DGS naming ceremony at the end of the month but I had already bought one,this dress was half price in the sale which made it the same price as the dress I had already bought,I am going to take the first dress back when I go into town on Saturday as I don't need two,I am definitely an emotional spender :rotfl:

In other news I DDs boyfriend has gone to a festival until Sunday so when I got home I cleaned all downstairs,he leaves his stuff everywhere so it should stay nice and tidyuntil he gets back on Sunday afternoon, I must say I will miss him when he goes to uni in September because we get on really well but I will not miss the mess :j

I also went to a discount chemist shop today that I don't normally go to and their prices were amazing,I am definitely going to buy my household stuff there when I next need some.I think when I next get paid I might just do a bulk buy of cleaning and washing stuff as this shop is a bit further up the town than I normally go,so if I stock up it will last me the month and I will only need to make one trip
    I'm just cooking my tea and then I am going to finish hoovering upstairs and clean the bathroom,I also have some ironing to do so will get that done as well,I'm working tomorrow but then I have the weekend off so I can chill out and relax in my nice tidy house:rotfl:
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I know what you mean about emotional spending, I do it too. Nice choice of things to buy, especially as you plan to take the other dress back. :)
    If you reduce your hours, there may be an option to overpay on your pension in the future (I know this depends on having the funds, but you may find that if you have a bit more time at home, you can cut costs. Being off sick I am spending less on food and eating well as I can cook from scratch. You would also have a little less to pay on travel).
    The discount shop was a good find! Love it when I find a place like that.

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    I know what you mean about emotional spending, I do it too. Nice choice of things to buy, especially as you plan to take the other dress back. :)
    If you reduce your hours, there may be an option to overpay on your pension in the future (I know this depends on having the funds, but you may find that if you have a bit more time at home, you can cut costs. Being off sick I am spending less on food and eating well as I can cook from scratch. You would also have a little less to pay on travel).
    The discount shop was a good find! Love it when I find a place like that.

Unfortunately I would still be working three days a week,it's just that one day would be a shorter 8 hour day instead of 12 hours so my travel would stay the same,I will pay slightly less tax and NI though, the other downside is I would lose some holiday time but I get 8 weeks a year so I think I can cope with how that :eek:
    We get a pay rise this month so that will take up some of the slack,I'm hoping with the pay rise and the decrease in tax and NI I might end up on the same money or just slightly les than I get now,all my colleagues that have cut their hours have said they didn't notice that much of a difference,so we will see

I have been thinking about the future a lot lately and I've realised that all my bills will go down once DD2 leaves home again when she finishes this degree in two years, I've also been mulling over the idea of taking in a lodger when her room becomes empty, there are so many people working at the hospital who are looking for accommodation,we have students all the time on placement looking for rooms to rent on. temporary basis,I have a major University jut down the road who are always looking for accommodation for students and lecturers, I had always shied away from renting a room out but when DD2 went to her placement and I chatted to the lady she rented a room from it sounded really good,she was saying it's a good way to earn money and you get to meet new people all the time,she lived on her own before and she said it was nice having the company,she does temporary contract through a room letting agency and it seem to work really well,my daughter stayed with her for 6 weeks in a single room and the landlady earned £600 for it,all she did was provide the room nothing else so it's not too bad

The cheap chemist is a shop I was aware of but had never been in,but I had been to my appointment up that end of town so thought I would pop in while I was there,it would definitely be worth getting all my cleaning bits from them,they also sold the Astonish range that you told me about ,I can't believe how cheap it is,I'm going back for sure,I downgraded our toothpaste from £3.40 a tube to 75p:rotfl: it's still the same brand just not the fancy one I normally buy
    :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Shame you would still have the same travel costs. I assume you usually work 12 hour shifts, so an 8 hour day would feel nice! At least the option of a trial period is there: you don't have to take it permanently if doesn't work for you.

If your DD is anything like my daughter (and older son), you will notice your washing machine gets a lot less wear and tear when she's not around! And DS2 is forever leaving the telly on when he's nowhere near... so you may also see an effect on your bills! Mind you a lodger might make them go up again, but I think having one is a great idea.

I like some Astonish items more than others but at about £1 a go they are certainly worth a try. I think I mentioned I liked their laundry liquid too - I can't remember the price now, maybe about £3 but it seemed to work well and smelled good. Sadly I eventually developed a mild reaction to it.

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Shame you would still have the same travel costs. I assume you usually work 12 hour shifts, so an 8 hour day would feel nice! At least the option of a trial period is there: you don't have to take it permanently if doesn't work for you.

If your DD is anything like my daughter (and older son), you will notice your washing machine gets a lot less wear and tear when she's not around! And DS2 is forever leaving the telly on when he's nowhere near... so you may also see an effect on your bills! Mind you a lodger might make them go up again, but I think having one is a great idea.

I like some Astonish items more than others but at about £1 a go they are certainly worth a try. I think I mentioned I liked their laundry liquid too - I can't remember the price now, maybe about £3 but it seemed to work well and smelled good. Sadly I eventually developed a mild reaction to it.

Yes I do 12 hour shifts so an 8 hour shift would be lovely:)
    The things that get left on in my house are the lights and phone chargers,it drives me nuts especially the phone chargers becasue they get really hot, we don't really use the TV much but my washing machine is on everyday at the moment but at least with all this sunny weather I haven't had to use the tumble dryer:j
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Busy few days here with a busy day at work on a Friday that wore me out,I had Saturday and Sunday off so a nice weekend free
    Yesterday I didn't get up until 10.30;because I just couldn't wake up,I had a relaxing breakfast then had to pop into town with my DD because she is going on holiday next Saturday and was woefully short of clothes,we took some bits to the charity shop as well, we also took sandwiches and just bought a drink becasue it was a lovely day so we had a picnic by the cathedral, it's so nice to be able to sit outside
    I just sat and chilled out in the evening because I'm just so tired
    This morning I was up at 9.30 but only because I was woken up by fly that kept landing on me, I've done all my washing today and changed my bed,it's all dry but not ironed yet,I was going to do it tonight but I'm too tired and was too hot,I also made a banana bread today to use up some bananas that were overripe,it was a Mary Berry recipe that I haven't tried before and it tastes lovely
    I also managed to do some sewing today and I'm hoping to finally finish the flaming thing this week and get it framed,it should have been finsished ages ago but I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to do it,I can't wait to get it done now
    I've got work tomorrow so will be off to bed in a minute,DDs boyfriend came back from his festival today and Im just waiting for his clothes to finish in the machine then they can be pegged out in the morning hopefully
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    It sounds as though you've had a busy weekend off! Hope you can find time to relax during the week sometime.

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Phew another busy day today, it was my day to have DGS so I was up early,I took him to see a friend for coffee and a catch up so that was nice,then on the way home I had to go via town for some bits for food shopping,the home to tidy up and give DGS his tea before his mum picked home up,I was shattered when he left but still had to take the dog out and sort the chickens,I'm now relaxing in bed and hoping to sleep well tonight
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback