Online scam - Fashion Centre #579890

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    "One thing is, how did the company get your address and card details. Most internet programmes, MS EDGE, Google Chrome etc have facilities for storing your card details. Mine does. If you left phone or other trinket around, then anyone can access an unsecured phone! I know mine are locked!

So if you left your work PC? with card details and unlocked, they could have been ordered this way. For the PC to have done this, you would have to allow the PC to store these details. My work PC does not!

Details that are stored.
    Name
    Name of Card User
    Card Number
    Address

What is not stored
    Your security code on the rear of the card"

I've been told that my card details ie on JustEat, Asos etc could have been compromised. I am retired so therefore do not have a work PC, only my home one. I know you all think I am, or someone in my house ordered this stuff. I'm going to stop this thread because it's like having your identity stolen - no-one believes you and I certainly don't need the hassle. I was asking for help and I seem to have got the opposite.
    The usual on this board. You should have seen the Amazon thread, they were throwing their toys out of the pram when everyone got refunds :rotfl:Card details could easily have been compromised eg a dodgy employee writing down details when taking an order on the phone etc. Persue with your bank, in writing. Good luck!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    The usual on this board. You should have seen the Amazon thread, they were throwing their toys out of the pram when everyone got refunds :rotfl:Card details could easily have been compromised eg a dodgy employee writing down details when taking an order on the phone etc. Persue with your bank, in writing. Good luck!
    I think you'll find that it was the posters who insisted they hadn't signed up to Prime who threw their toys out of the pram when screenshots clearly showed that they had indeed signed up to Prime.

Drama queen behaviour about cancelling credit cards, reporting Amazon to various organisations when it was very simple to contact Amazon to ask for a refund.

No correlation with this thread at all.
  • Sadly, I have been involved with this same company and I do consider it to be a scam, though I admit immediately that I have been foolish.

I completed a survey on behalf of, or what I thought at the time was, the Daily Telegraph. As a supposed thank you for taking this survey I was informed that I could buy a watch for £6.99. I filled out the form with my details and received the watch. I did not check my bank account and so missed a payment of £84. Yesterday I received another watch and on checking my bank account, another £84 had been debited.

I will swear on the original 'order form' there was nothing to say about the first watch being sent as a 'trial', but of course have no way of proving that now.

In my opinion, this company ARE scammers but as there is no proof as above, I have to bear the loss and bemoan my stupidity in thinking the survey originated from the Daily Telegraph.

I suspect the OP has done the same as I have, or something very similar, despite their protestations to the contrary, and I am genuinely sorry that this has happened to them. There are some low-life companies out there and this is one of them. There ought to be a way of shutting them down but what that way is, I do not know. :mad:
  • Todorovia wrote: »
    There ought to be a way of shutting them down but what that way is, I do not know. :mad:

If only there was a way for people to read up on what they sign up for.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,162
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Just a tip Loobyloo use the quote button when replying to a post, makes it easier for posters to see which post your replying too.
    Good tip (some new users fall into this habit quite frequently - and some experienced posters) but I doubt the OP will be back, having declare herself "out" presumably because we were not giving the answers she wanted to hear. Advice given was good and OP should continue to pursue with the bank.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think you'll find that it was the posters who insisted they hadn't signed up to Prime who threw their toys out of the pram when screenshots clearly showed that they had indeed signed up to Prime.

Drama queen behaviour about cancelling credit cards, reporting Amazon to various organisations when it was very simple to contact Amazon to ask for a refund.

No correlation with this thread at all.
    It has the usual "customer must be to blame" attitude. Proved completely wrong in the Amazon case as they were refunding, and proved wrong in many other cases as well. Not the mention the shyster sites one :rotfl:

Probably this one too.

Although not everyone of course - several people here have suggested OP pursuing with their bank, which is likely to be be the best course of action.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    It has the usual "customer must be to blame" attitude. Proved completely wrong in the Amazon case as they were refunding, and proved wrong in many other cases as well. Not the mention the shyster sites one :rotfl:

Actually proved wrong with screen shots from the Amazon website.
    The 'customer WAS to blame'.
    Even if they wouldn't admit it
    I have no idea what 'shyster' sites you are referring to
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Todorovia wrote: »
    Sadly, I have been involved with this same company and I do consider it to be a scam, though I admit immediately that I have been foolish.

I completed a survey on behalf of, or what I thought at the time was, the Daily Telegraph. As a supposed thank you for taking this survey I was informed that I could buy a watch for £6.99. I filled out the form with my details and received the watch. I did not check my bank account and so missed a payment of £84. Yesterday I received another watch and on checking my bank account, another £84 had been debited.

I will swear on the original 'order form' there was nothing to say about the first watch being sent as a 'trial', but of course have no way of proving that now.
    You don't need to prove anything, the retailer needs to prove you authorised the transactions.
    In my opinion, this company ARE scammers but as there is no proof as above, I have to bear the loss and bemoan my stupidity in thinking the survey originated from the Daily Telegraph.

I suspect the OP has done the same as I have, or something very similar, despite their protestations to the contrary, and I am genuinely sorry that this has happened to them. There are some low-life companies out there and this is one of them. There ought to be a way of shutting them down but what that way is, I do not know. :mad:
    There is. You complain to your bank, so do lots of other customers, and they'll soon have their card handling facilities removed.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Actually proved wrong with screen shots from the Amazon website.
    The 'customer WAS to blame'.
    Even if they wouldn't admit it
    Yeah, Amazon are just so nice that they refund when they were right! Really annoyed some of the bitter "it's all the stupid customer's fault" brigade:rotfl:
    I have no idea what 'shyster' sites you are referring to
    Copycat govt websites. Passport, EHIC, driving licences etc. Some people here reckoned these sites were perfectly legitimate and OK because they had a disclaimer somewhere. Several court cases proved them wrong :p
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah, Amazon are just so nice that they refund when they were right! Really annoyed some of the bitter "it's all the stupid customer's fault" brigade:rotfl:

Companies often refund and give gestures of goodwill when they don't really need to so they maintain a good image.
    Copycat govt websites. Passport, EHIC, driving licences etc. Some people here reckoned these sites were perfectly legitimate and OK because they had a disclaimer somewhere. Several court cases proved them wrong :p

These websites were very obviously not the official sites but people don't pay attention, don't read things properly and fall for lots of scams. But these people need to be protected so that's why strict consumer law is put in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure