Business post to garage instead of house

Options
Hi guys,

Little bit of a random one...

For two years I have ran my business using a PO Box. Due to expansion I have had to look at having an office. Instead of hiring an office space I took the decision to convert my big double garage into an office as the garage was not being used and the cost to renovate it worked out to be cheaper than what rent for a whole year in an office space would be.

I would like to move away from the PO Box and have post coming to an actual address however I am unsure if there is a way to have the post go into the office (which is obviously right beside my house) as opposed to through my house? I know we're not in the 90's anymore but I was thinking that maybe just having a word with the postman could be the easiest way.

If there is no way to do this, then I guess I will just stick with the PO Box but I would much prefer all business related communication to go into the office.

Thanks and sorry its a bit random!

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want business post to be separated then you will have to get the garage recognised as separate premises by the local council. This will involve change of use planning permission and business rates.

The council will then allocate a new building number to the garage (probably 49A if your house is 49) and inform Royal Mail who will then create a new delivery point.

You can get PO Box mail delivered to the house but it will come bundled with all other mail unless you have a separate delivery point.

The other option is Selectapost presorting but you need to be spending £5000+ p.a. with Royal Mail and pay fees on top.

If you want all your post to go into the garage just move the letterbox.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Kpros
    Kpros Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Owain,

This is really useful, thank you. I was aware of your first point and I do not want to go down the lines of having it officially registered for business use etc.

The PO Box that we currently have works exactly as you've described above and it works fine, but we would much prefer a proper address if possible.

I will do some research on selectapost however we receive very little post to be honest.

Moving the letter box is an idea but not one that my wife would go along with !!!55357;!!!56836;
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i assume you operate as a sole trader rather than as a limited company?

what are you trying to hide by not allowing "the post" to be put through your house letter box? I fail to see any real reason for your concern other than a possible volume issue

I note your deliberate intent to stay below the radar with respect to having an undeclared business operating from dedicated space at your residential property for tax purposes.
  • Kpros
    Options
    00ec25 - where on earth did you read where I said that I have tried to 'hide' anything? What sort of reply is that? Your reply provided zero help or support.

I am using my garage as an office to separate my business work from my personal life which saves lots room in my property and keeps it out of my family and partners way. It has given me somewhere to go to fire off some emails and fill out paperwork and basically do my work without bringing it into my house and consuming my time with my family. The last time I checked there is nothing illegal about this and there is no requirement for me to 'declare' this, unless of course you want to tell me differently?

Why would you instantly assume I am trying to hide something by wanting my post to go elsewhere and that I have a 'concern' about my post coming through my house? One can only 'assume' that you haven't read my post properly as it currently DOES come through my house as I have stated, via a PO Box and has done for the two years that I have ran my business however the premise of my post was to find out if there was any way for this post to go into my garage instead, just so that I can separate my personal and business life.

00ec25 - I can see that you post regularly but I don't deem it productive to jump on the attack with insinuations about things. I am simply looking to separate my personal and business post so that I can switch off from work once I get home.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 11:33PM
    Options
    you have not answered the question: sole trader or ltd co?

as for "hiding":
    Kpros wrote: »
    I do not want to go down the lines of having it officially registered for business use etc.
    people who state that they do not want to have things official do so because they wish to hide....
    - breach of planning permission?
    - breach of covenant?
    - breach of insurance?
    - breach of council tax?
    - tax evasion re CGT?
    00ec25 - where on earth did you read where I said that I have tried to 'hide' anything? What sort of reply is that? Your reply provided zero help or support..
    so, use of a non geographic address is not hiding from your customers? A geographic address carries the risk someone will turn up at your door and ask for restitution. A PO Box means they cannot. Well hidden that man.

indeed, help and support when it requires you to admit to wrong doing is of course "inconvenient".

you have failed to provide concrete rationale why you need to have separate post other than "the wife doesn't like it".
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want business post to be separated then you will have to get the garage recognised as separate premises by the local council. This will involve change of use planning permission and business rates.
    Would change of use, planning permission and business rates not be involved in the conversion anyway?
    This is really useful, thank you. I was aware of your first point and I do not want to go down the lines of having it officially registered for business use etc.
    I hope you have at least informed your insurers, both business and personal.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Would change of use, planning permission and business rates not be involved in the conversion anyway? ...

No, you only need building regs for a garage conversion. (Says someone who has just had their garage converted.)

You'd need planning permission for change of use to business. Given that the OP uses it for 'office space' it's debatable whether planning permission would be an issue. Business rates would still be due I would have thought.

Given that the OP has stated "I do not want to go down the lines of having it officially registered for business use etc" I don't think any of this has happened.

If I was the OP I'd put aside any ideas of a separate PO address for fear of alerting the authorities to this state of affairs. :)
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I hope you have at least informed your insurers, both business and personal.

And the mortgage lender, if there is one. And the OP might face a bill for CGT should they sell the property.
  • Kpros
    Options
    00ec25 - so you're essentially saying that anybody who opts for a PO Box is being deceptive? That's a very narrow-minded view in my opinion as well as being completely inaccurate and you are stereotyping a LOT of businesses with this statement. Some very big companies too, some of which work under for example the ministry of justice.

You are essentially stating that by entering my garage with my work mobile phone and work laptop and engaging with any customers or doing any form of work I am in breach of (I will copy and paste your wonderful list):

- breach of planning permission?
    - breach of covenant?
    - breach of insurance?
    - breach of council tax?
    - tax evasion re CGT?

You are also stating that I need planning permission to alter the inside of my garage, correct? I think you will find that you are wrong and have no idea what you are talking about. I can do whatever I like to the inside of my garage and I do not need any kind of permission to do so. As I have only put up stud walls and painted them, I think you will find that this is absolutely 'allowed' Furthermore, I do not use my garage as a shop and no customers go there. It is (as I stated on a number of occasions) somewhere for me to get my administration sorted.out prior to coming into the family property.

You have hopped on the attack from your first message and offered no guidance. My conclusion of you is that you are a fool and completely unhelpful and I do not require any more responses from you .
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You are also stating that I need planning permission to alter the inside of my garage, correct?

Not necessarily the internal modifications themselves, but maybe the change of use might need to be notified or permitted, and it is likely that you will need to do something like that before you can have the garage registered as a separate postal address as a commercial premises.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Kpros
    Options
    Hi Paul,

Prior to making the internal modifications my builder confirmed that I did not need permission and there was no requirement for me to notify anybody. If I was trading from the garage then this would be different but I pure and simply go in there around 6pm every evening to complete my administrative duties (and occasionally on a weekend).

After reflecting on the sensible replies on here I am going to have the post come through my residential address as there makes no sense to register the garage based on the amount (and type) of use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure