Cheapest ipad to play ROBLOX

Kim_kim
Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 7 July 2018 at 3:49PM in Techie Stuff
My grandson wants an iPad for his birthday (not another make).
One of the things he wants to do is play ROBLOX on it.
My daughter has an old iPad, it’s got very old software and won’t update and this ROBLOX can’t be downloaded onto it, due to age of version of software.
It also barely charges, think 5% in a day.

So today my daughter took it to Apple to pay the £226 and get a repair (which is actually a replacement).
They said the model they would replace it with would be like for like, with old software. I expected it to be an older model (a recon) but I assumed it would be updated to the most recent software version.

So that’s no good. They won’t offer trade in as it has a tiny crack in the corner of the screen.

I’m actually a mature uni student and I get a tiny Apple discount. I can get the £319 model for £303 (huge discount huh!).

I tried the Argos trade in, but the website is funny, I’m not sure if I’d get £16 or £50!

Am I missing anything, are there any other deals?

I have a practically useless old iPad I can trade in.

Comments

• Try CEX, the trade in prices are pretty decent.
  • Kim_kim
    Try CEX, the trade in prices are pretty decent.

The ‘trade in” one is knackered and needs a repair/replacement.
    My only reason for mentioning it, I thought it might get me a replacement at a good price.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 8 July 2018 at 11:22AM
    Have a look at Apple!!!8217;s Refurbished and Clearance models?:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/FPGW2B/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

As an example this model is the iPad (2017) with WiFi and 128GB of storage (actual formatted capacity less) and it!!!8217;s £299.00.

They go through testing etc so you stand a better chance of things working fine rather than buying a new model and encountering teething problems.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Kim_kim
    20aday wrote: »
    Have a look at Apple!!!8217;s Refurbished and Clearance models?:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/FPGW2B/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

As an example this model is the iPad (2017) with WiFi and 128GB of storage (actual formatted capacity less) and it!!!8217;s £299.00.

They go through testing etc so you stand a better chance of things working fine rather than buying a new model and encountering teething problems.

He’s unlikely to be storing lots of stuff on it, no music.
    I would have thought I’d be better with a brand new one than a refurbished one as the price is about the same.
  • Kim_kim
    Can anyone advise the best !!!8220;new!!!8221; deal I can get please, the MSE info isn!!!8217;t up to date.
  • Kim_kim wrote: »
    Can anyone advise the best !!!8220;new!!!8221; deal I can get please, the MSE info isn!!!8217;t up to date.
    Google is your friend.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    The ‘trade in” one is knackered and needs a repair/replacement.
    My only reason for mentioning it, I thought it might get me a replacement at a good price.

Why? They're not going to do you a favour just because you've bought one previously I'm afraid.
  • Kim_kim
    Why? They're not going to do you a favour just because you've bought one previously I'm afraid.

I didn’t mean with Apple, I meant anyone that is doing a trade in deal.

The replies to my question are somewhat unhelpful....
  • Kim_kim
    Google is your friend.

The lovely people on Mse often have suggestions on way to tweak offers to get the best deal, trade ins, points, etc.
    Google tends not to advise you of that....
  • Kim_kim wrote: »
    The lovely people on Mse often have suggestions on way to tweak offers to get the best deal, trade ins, points, etc.
    Google tends not to advise you of that....
    iPads has or their value remarkably well so I would say that it’s probably worth only buying new or refurbished. An older model with lose its software support sooner than the iPad will last. We have Ann iPad mini one which is only a few years old but will not do any software updates and is stuck on 9.3 which means that some apps like netflix will no longer work. So I would suggest you buy as newer model as possible in a sale from somewhere like John Lewis who offer a 3 year warranty.
    Personally I wouldn’t buy another iPad as they are expensive and quite restrictive in terms of screen sharing and apps you can download.
    A £200 android tablet would probably be better value than a £300 iPad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure