PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks FUDS that's a fairly comprehensive list of products from many of the big name supermarkets, we only have one product on the list and that's some Iceland Mixed Veg and we've already eaten some of it and were fine so I'll finish it off. I think I'll stock to fresh and seasonal for a while though, Oh what a good thing I have so many beans and courgettes, just when I was thinking I'd got too many!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Uncertain whether this will save the planet or just come in handy as an eco-warrior weapon, but I was mildly impressed by St Martin's championing of reducing plastic waste & obtained reusable drinking straws with useful brushes.

I have to say I am impressed & have stashed a couple plus cleaning brush into workbag. Mostly as they do exactly what they purport to do, but also, who would have thought you could file an edge onto the curve making a nifty little gouge, icepick or otherwise gerrof-my-kit tool?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DFV I almost clicked on "Buy now", but then realised we don't really use drinking straws anyway :D a really good idea though.

jk0 Allow me to say GGGRRRR! on your behalf :mad: :mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I read in the paper last week that cereal crops might be very sparse this year if we don't get some rain to 'swell' the grains on the stalk, we've just driven round a couple of lanes bounded by cereal crops of one kind and another and the look completely ripe and golden. If the seed hasn't developed there could be a shortage of staples like flour, pearl barley and feed wheat for livestock this coming winter. I think when it cools down and we've moved I may do what MAR does and give over an entire drawer of my freezer to storing flour and oatmeal.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 July 2018 at 3:56PM
    Options
    And on a water-related but completely sideways note, I am watching riveted as news of the Thai lads rescue from the cave is being reported.
    4 reported out by 15:38, and a break for the team to recover before they go back for the remaining 8 & coach. (Whether the feeblest or the huskiest were brought first is ongoing debate - I wish the lads well with it in coming decades.)

Who have all been having scuba & swimming lessons, these not being footballer requirements. It would appear basic risk assessment was a bit sketchy too, but that can be gone into, in depth, after all 13 are out & complaining that they aren't able to focus on their footy as everyone keeps talking about the blinking cave...
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've probably missed the discussion :-) but have we any thoughts on food prices/availability post-brexit (should it actually happen) ?
    Have limited financial capacity now for prepping, making it even more important!!
    WCS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsLW cereal crops are looking very good, everyone was surprised but grain yields are high. Winter barley is in process of being taken in and is so dry that the grain dryers are hardly on, farmers are very happy. Silage has been taken and so has hay, farmers are in for a bumper crop to see us all through winter. I am storing nothing, no grains need to be bought in bulk and stored. Papers scare mongering as always

Farmers are also very happy at the dry weather as fungus is not prevalent this year and much less spraying and consequent cost
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,733 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Kittie

A lot of the farmers are having to feed this years silage crops as their isn't enough grass to keep the stock going. As the grass isn't growing they are also struggling to get second and third crop silage in. I think we're all in for a tricky winter. Also the silage they have taken hasn't got the bulk as the grass hasn't grown.

I'll go back to lurking
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've probably missed the discussion :-) but have we any thoughts on food prices/availability post-brexit (should it actually happen) ?
    Have limited financial capacity now for prepping, making it even more important!!
    WCS
    It's mostly the little pleasures, for me, though I do have one problem because of dairy intolerance. I need goats/sheeps milk, not cows - and most of the affordable cheese comes from the EU area.

Otherwise, its olive oil. And Waitrose Essential Olives (pitted, in brine, 50p per 100g :D).

Seriously though, we currently import 40% or so of our food? Maybe half that is from the EU? It will almost certainly be more expensive, so extra stocking up will probably be a good thing - but we don't know when those price rises will take place, so its a guessing game. And a tough one, when, as you say, financial capacity is limited. I'm retired now, with no active pension, so cash flow is not the problem for me that it is for other low-income folks, so I really might stock up on a few things.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Other prepping: I have a very elderly, very big buddleia taking up the most privileged position in the garden, and the drought is finally killing it, its collapsing branch by branch. A smaller one further down the garden is surviving, just. I'm definitely going to hoick out the elderly one, and plant a fruit tree - its against a south-facing fence, and a buddleia can grow in many other positions. Still want it for the bees, but I want fruit for me!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport