I retracted my notice.... and I dont think I should have

In January this year I started my own business as a Virtual Assistant & PA, I'm glad to say it has went from strength to strength and last week I handed in my notice with my employer as I am currently an Office Manager for a Charity in a funding dependant role until March 2019.

However my employer stated they didn't want me to leave and to go away and have a think about it "as most new businesses fail" so I went away and I thought about it, and at the same time I had a bad experience with 1 of my clients which rocked my confidence a little.

So I hastily retracted my notice but now I could kick myself as I am so busy with clients I cant do all my work and I feel my focus needs to be on my business.

I feel like a fool handing my notice "back in" after retracting it...... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. __________________

Comments

• Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could you maybe ask your employer about part time work, or some sort of job share? They may not agree, but it could be a good way for you to keep some stability while establishing your new business. Or, could they give you a sabbatical, or some sort of unpaid leave period? Again, maybe not, but you don't know unless you ask.

If that's not possible, then I'd respectfully suggest you make your mind up and stick with it... You won't do any favours either way by keep changing your mind.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    OK, so you're in a good position. Your current employer wants to retain you.

What I would do in your position is to try to develop a business case for your current employer to retain you as a virtual asst/PA! Can you demonstrate to them that this would save them money compared with your current role? If you can, you have a great opportunity to go back to them and say

'I have taken further advice, and my new business is actually expanding more quickly than I expected. So I sadly DO have to leave your employment to focus on this. However, I've found a way this can work well for both of us and save you money.'

Any chance?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • I am not sure what advice you are looking for. If handing your notice in is the right thing to do, then "feeling like a fool" shouldn't come into it. If it makes you feel like a fool there's nothing anyone else can do about that; you just have to accept it. I am sure the feeling will soon pass.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you need to be certain that handing your notice in again is the right thing for you to do, because after being messed about so much I doubt if your employer will be as keen to retain you as they were the first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure