Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I don’t know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didn’t matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didn’t change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

So, the last month before I went on maternity leave, I was paid, for a 40 hour week, £1520.76. My PAYE tax was 119.00 and my NI contributions were £101.76. My take home pay was then £1300.00. My tax code was 1110L.
The total on my p60 for 2016 (before maternity leave) was £18,370.

Can anyone tell me what my part time wage should be? I think they gave me a massive pay reduction without me realising it. I now take home, for a 24 hour week, £800.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 April 2018 at 12:02PM
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I don!!!8217;t know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didn!!!8217;t matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didn!!!8217;t change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

So, the last month before I went on maternity leave, I was paid, for a 40 hour week, £1520.76. My PAYE tax was 119.00 and my NI contributions were £101.76. My take home pay was then £1300.00. My tax code was 1110L.

Can anyone tell me what my part time wage should be? I think they gave me a massive pay reduction without me realising it. I now take home, for a 24 hour week, £800.

Thank you in advance.

sounds about right, your taking home just over half for just over half the hours

quick maths, before tax 1520.76 / 40 * 24 = £912.45
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    your tax code is wrong, with uniform relief it should be 1160L
  • Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I don’t know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didn’t matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didn’t change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

Thank you in advance.
    So have you changed employer as you say your last employer???

If so then two different employers will prob pay diff rates?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    24 is 60% of 40. 60% of £1300 = £780.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    You worked 40 hours a week for £18,370. This means that you were paid £459.25 per year for every hour per week you earned.

At the same rate of pay, 24 hours would earn you £11,022 per year. Assuming a tax code of 1160L (and you can contact HMRC direct about this if your employer hasn't told them about the uniform bit) you can then plug these figures into a calculator. I used https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

All figures are per month.

Gross Income £918.50
    Taxable Income nil
    Tax nil
    National Insurance £25.98
    2018 Take Home £892.52
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • So have you changed employer as you say your last employer???

If so then two different employers will prob pay diff rates?

Yes I have changed employer, but I told them that I needed at least £800, and now I get £795 instead. So I’m tryig to figure out whether I should have asked for more and if they’ve calculated it differently now that I am part time. I think I’ve accidentally given myself a pay cut by asking for the wrong amount.
  • You worked 40 hours a week for £18,370. This means that you were paid £459.25 per year for every hour per week you earned.

At the same rate of pay, 24 hours would earn you £11,022 per year. Assuming a tax code of 1160L (and you can contact HMRC direct about this if your employer hasn't told them about the uniform bit) you can then plug these figures into a calculator. I used https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

All figures are per month.

Gross Income £918.50
    Taxable Income nil
    Tax nil
    National Insurance £25.98
    2018 Take Home £892.52

This is also why I think my previous employer was paying me the wrong amount because this calculator says I should be getting a lot more.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is also why I think my previous employer was paying me the wrong amount because this calculator says I should be getting a lot more.

The current calculator won't be exactly right for past years due to tax changes. There may also be pension contributions to take into account.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Right. What are you paid, BEFORE TAX, by your current employer?

There could be all kinds of reasons for you paying the wrong tax, so start with the gross.

And forget what you got paid before by a different employer; it is entirely irrelevant.
  • swazzle2000
    swazzle2000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My current employer pays me £811. Then NI comes out so I take home £795, give or take a few pence. I don’t pay tax because I’m well under the threshold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure