Husband has left me, don;t know what to do.

username678
username678 Posts: 12 Forumite
Posting under a different username to normal. Not really sure what I want out of thisbut wanted to post.

Husband and I have been together for 10 years and tonight he told me that he doesn't love me anymore and hasn't for a while and says we have grown apart. He then made me leave the flat we both rent and stay with family.

I am distraught and I don;t know what to do. I can't sleep hence posting this time and thinking about it leaves me unable to breathe.

He doesn't want to talk, doesn't want counselling and won't meet as friends to 'hang out'. He says he is very content with the fact that he has now ended things and refuses to let me come back to our flat to sleep on the sofa.

I can;t stay with my family forever and I can barely (possibly not even) afford to rent a room plus bills in the two towns closest to my work. I can;t get another job as I already earn a fair wage but live in an expensive area.

All I want is for him to let me try to make things better as I would do anything for him but he seems adamant and it's killing me.

As I said, I don't really know what I want from this post, I guess I needed to get my feeling out. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• lucylucy
    lucylucy Posts: 44 Forumite
    I don't think there are many people reading the forums at this time of night

At the moment you must be feeling so many things I imagine it was a horrible shock.

I hope you get some sleep and can stay off work tomorrow. I'm sure there will be more people around then with helpful advice
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Practically - is it a joint tenancy? You said 'we both rent' so I presume so. He cannot 'make you leave' or 'refuse to let you back'. You are also just as liable as him so get this sorted legally. If he doesn't pay, they'll pursue you. Advice can be found on the property boards (keep it factual and to the point though). Or ring Shelter for advice.

I've been in your shoes as far as marriage goes. Stay strong and hold your head up high.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Please get some practical advice such as CAb or even free advice from your union( if you have one) A previous poster says he cannot make you move out of joint tenancy.

Do protect your joint bank accounts if you have any and impress on him that there are decisions to make jointly.

Dont let him harass you emotionally!
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 May 2017 at 1:08AM
    this is a horrible situation to be in and I can empathise from experience.
    Emotionally you will be feeling every emotion possible and sometimes overwhelmingly all at once. You cant change anything tonight, so as cliche as it sounds just try to get some rest and hopefully you will have somewhat of a clearer head in the morning.
    Practically, you are joint tenants, you have an equal right to live in that property, so I would now be seeking some advice from shelter or cab as other posters have suggested.
    He may have emotionally detached at the moment but he cant physically detach from the relationship without sorting out these issues. Bank accounts, joint bills, any wills or investments need to be sorted, its not a case of him being able to just draw a line under it and kick u out.
    I want to just give you a big virtual hug and tell you now, from future you, that you are going to be fine.
    Its rubbish and horrible and painful but, the only way from this is up hun, im down the line now and almost at the end of my divorce and see it from the other side, but not so long ago I was feeling just like you are now,
    trust me it does get better. ...
    I hope you manage to get some rest, PM me if you want to chat tomorrow :-)
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Posting under a different username to normal. Not really sure what I want out of thisbut wanted to post.

Husband and I have been together for 10 years and tonight he told me that he doesn't love me anymore and hasn't for a while and says we have grown apart. He then made me leave the flat we both rent and stay with family.

I am distraught and I don;t know what to do. I can't sleep hence posting this time and thinking about it leaves me unable to breathe.

He doesn't want to talk, doesn't want counselling and won't meet as friends to 'hang out'. He says he is very content with the fact that he has now ended things and refuses to let me come back to our flat to sleep on the sofa.

I can;t stay with my family forever and I can barely (possibly not even) afford to rent a room plus bills in the two towns closest to my work. I can;t get another job as I already earn a fair wage but live in an expensive area.

All I want is for him to let me try to make things better as I would do anything for him but he seems adamant and it's killing me.

As I said, I don't really know what I want from this post, I guess I needed to get my feeling out. Thanks for listening.

Eek, I'm not really sure what to say, obviously you have the right to be in the flat if you are jointly named on the rental agreement, however he can of course make it very unpleasant for you to be there.

Practically, if you don't already, make sure you have enough money to get you through the month in an account in your sole name (not a joint account). Also, if your salary is set up to be paid into a joint account, change it to have it paid into an account in your sole name. Also, if you have a joint account, check whose permission is needed for things like overdrafts, get in touch with the bank and confirm they need your permission too.

Hopefully he will become more open to discussing your future options when you've both had a bit of time and space apart to reflect.

To help yourself you need to be considering your future options if there is no reconciliation. You say you might barely be able to afford rent somewhere else. Start looking at how much things might cost now, you might find you need to look further afield than you otherwise would but you never know. Draw up a Statement of Affairs as a single person (the Debt-Free Wannabe board is great for some realistic sense checks on those) and see where you'll be.

I can't offer much advice on the emotional side of things, but look after yourself first and foremost at this time.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So sorry for you. It's a horrible shock, and worse because he won't discuss it.

If you struggle to breathe or feel panic, focus on your breathing; really concentrate on the sensation and sound of it. If this calms you a bit, say in your head, "I love him, but it is only a relationship." and repeat this until you are calm - focus on the words and saying them slowly.

You don't want to be in a relationship with someone who could do this. Over time, you may or may not find out what the reason was, but there is not much you are likely to be able to about it. I expect your husband is also a little shocked at the moment; it's a big step to take, but they may also be relieved if they have been brooding on what to do for a while.

Get as much help and advice as you can. Tell your boss immediately as you may need some time off work.

Best wishes
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm really sorry too, such a painful and helpless experience.

I get the feeling from your post that it's not so much the practical part of the separation you are looking for support, but help with how you can make him change his mind. It's all so new for you and you still feel that you can go back in time, make some changes and things will be all ok for you again.

The problem is that you are being hit by this situation whereas he probably has been planning it for some time, so he is way ahead of you. You cannot make him think about it again, reconsider, give you another chance if he feels that he's already gone through this process and he has reached the next stage of moving on.

Giving you a big hug going through this painful experience. We can tell you that it will get better, that one day you will even look back and realise that it was for the best, but it won't take away the heartache you are experiencing now. Do trust yourself and time, take it one day at a time, and seek support from loved ones and be kind to yourself.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 May 2017 at 7:01AM
    Solicitors offer a free, half-hour initial interview.
    You can book as few or as many as you like with different firms.
    Don't commit to one just yet, you're not ready anyway but...
    Have questions written down, jot down the answers you get and make a note about each one you see and whether you feel they could help/you feel you could work with them or vice versa.
    At no point cry in the solicitors ... way too expensive. You need friend to cry on!
    As has been said protect your assets. And don't fall into the trap of thinking he won't empty a joint account or take up a loan/use up the overdraft. But I hope he doesn't.

Unfortunately it sounds like he's been out of the relationship, emotionally, for a while. And moving you out might mean he is ready to take the next step and is considering a new relationship. I agree with others, I just do not think he wants to try, his mind is made up.

He wanted out, he should have been the one to go, IMO.

You'll get lots of support on here, hope you also have some IRL.
    (((Hugs)))
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    This screams of I've met someone else. Sorry its rubbish and after 10 years he owes you far more than that.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Ten years is a long time to be together and to treat someone who you took vows with and professed to spend the rest of your life with, how he is treating you now is ****. I’m sorry for the way you have been treated, you don’t deserve that. There seems to be a lot of men who go about break-ups the wrong way these days (from reading some threads on this board) where is the level of respect? Ok fair enough you want to part ways but damn, have some respect for your partner not to treat them worse than scum!

I think you may need time to get your head around the fact that your marriage is over and that you will need to separate your finances. From the sounds of it, your husband is already divorced in his mind, kicking you out and getting you out of his physical life was the last step. Understanding and accepting that your marriage is over will obviously take time so you’ll need to deal with the practicals.

1. How long is left on the lease?

2. He can’t just kick you out, you have keys, go back home!

3. You said you yourself wouldn’t be able to rent a room in towns close to where you work. If you want to keep your job you may have no choice but to move even further afield, possibly a fair distance away until you are in an area you can afford. What you’ll need to factor in to that decision will be how much more will travelling costs be and also the time it will take you to get to/from work, to see if it’s feasible even keeping the job you have. You may have to look closer to where you live for a new job if it comes to it.

4. Speak to a solicitor about getting the ball rolling regarding divorce and also what is going to be needed to be done about your finances and separating them. You will need to sort out any joint debts, savings, pensions etc.

Usually it’s the woman who has emotionally checked out of a relationship a long time before she actually ends it. He must have been feeling this way for a long time so you may want to evaluate your relationship over the past couple of years to see where things have gone wrong so you don’t make the same mistake moving forward in any new relationship in the future.

It’s a crap place to be right now and your ex has gone about things the wrong way but try and put all that behind you and look towards your new future. Things will only get better and if it’s any comfort, women usually take break-ups very hard initially but ultimately end up emotionally better in the long term.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure