Time wasters on Shpock.

Options
2»

Comments

• Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Only 'foolproof' answer is don't use Shpock if you can't cope with the high rate of no-shows.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think it was a reference to the now disappeared poster who was apparently writing their own Shpock-like app which was going to be super-duper....
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bail-in wrote: »
    Soolin, are you referring to my post on Shpock above as advertising? How can speaking positively re my experience with Shpock be considered advertising? If posters can be negative about a buy sell platform why can't they be positive without being accused of advertising? How is it reasonable to suggest that a person who buys sells on Shpock, eBay etc is an advertiser for them?

Not at all, there was another post that has now been removed and I could neither quote it or use their user name without giving them more advertising. Personally I love Shpock, I sold 2 things yesterday alone and both are being posted today!

However, as the advert has been removed I will remove my own post.
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I think it was a reference to the now disappeared poster who was apparently writing their own Shpock-like app which was going to be super-duper....

Exactly, thank you
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • CrxigSm1th
    Options
    I am currently selling my xbox one on shpock, i agreed to an offer and she confirmed it, i even said i would deliver, and then she broke contact, i tried texting her as she sent me her phone number, and have asked her many of times on the app if she was still interested... no reply, it is very annoying but i will just have to put it back up for sale :mad:
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CrxigSm1th wrote: »
    I am currently selling my xbox one on shpock, i agreed to an offer and she confirmed it, i even said i would deliver, and then she broke contact, i tried texting her as she sent me her phone number, and have asked her many of times on the app if she was still interested... no reply, it is very annoying but i will just have to put it back up for sale :mad:

I do have some issues so would suggest you click re list, leave 1* review saying no collection despite lots of messages, and then relist it automatically. If you click on the avatar of the buyer you can also see their previous ratings, and that shows whether you have a time waster or not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I do have some issues so would suggest you click re list, leave 1* review saying no collection despite lots of messages, and then relist it automatically. If you click on the avatar of the buyer you can also see their previous ratings, and that shows whether you have a time waster or not.

It's not foolproof. I had a similar time waster and did just that. I got 1* back pretty quickly. I happened across the time waster a few weeks later and my 1* was missing. Seems it's pretty easy to complain to Shpock and they remove those reviews without much question.
  • crustycob
    Options
    Shpock has many flaws in the app. And can be very frustrating to use. :eek:

1) your device gps has to be on constantly for it to work
    2) lots of early morning offers from drunken timewasting buyers
    3) lots of fake adverts and sellers who dont respond to offers you've made
    4) offers from people who don't disclose what location they're in
    5) pointless reporting any problems as shpock ignore complaints and good ideas
    6) people use it like facebook and twitter in a trollish manner
    7) constantly bombarded with pop up adverts and promos costing money to promote your ad
    8) users are not protected in any way from scams or fraud
    9) buyers who offer, then cancel a deal leave a poor review for seller
    10) the site is littered with multiple items from sellers with multiple accounts
    11) shpock demands that you use your gmail or facebook email login to register
    12) if a buyer offers £0 it allows them to chat to you in private. Realistically any offers of £0 shouldn't be allowed. However shpock have put restrictions on making low offers.

People should be aware that it costs a lot of money and data usage to use apps like shpock. Also users are constantly being tracked via gps and its all linked to your gmail account and facebook accounts.

Shpock is a great idea, but it doesnt flow properly and never will.

Lastly watch out for scammers asking you to post your item before they pay you. Block them immediately.:T
  • bail-in
    bail-in Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 December 2018 at 7:41AM
    Options
    Re Shpock usage gps in above post I have not found my gps has to be on all the time. I needed it on to originally sign up but the search and buy sell features work without gps switched on. I have my gps turned off most of the time to save battery power. Perhaps turning it off does not turn it off completely. Location is still on. I have sold about 20 per cent of a few hundred various listed items on Shpock. Most buyers are fine pickup and post. In contrast, I have no success selling with Gumtree. The Shpock concept and interface is brilliant, well thought out, and fast to use. I can list an ad in a few seconds, faster than any other buy sell platform. I find customer service helpful and u can contact by phone and email. It is free, with optional paid addons, and you can leave your adverts up for a long time, renewing them. A rule of retailing in shops is everything sells in the end. That is, as long as you can display it to potential buyers. I may have an item up for months before it is sold. Sure I get timewasters,, but they are in all buy sell platforms. Not had many scammers unlike with Gumtree, although I am watchful and careful. Be nice to have more word space for the description of products, especially electronic items. Also instead of one liners sellers should ask themselves what would a buyer need to know? List obviously needed basic details in the description, e.g. model numbers, working and cosmetic condition, paypal, post, etc without buyers having to ask. Then far more likely to sell than "Apple phone, great phone, first one to see it will buy it", and so on. The hand is on the mouse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure