reducing hours - the right choice...

Options
2»

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of things I've noticed from others who have reduced their hours, of course depending upon the role.

Reduction of hours as a shorter week can mean you end up with the same workload, you just have to do it in a shorter space of time. Win for the employer there as you just have to play catch up from the day you weren't there.

But, have a Monday or a Friday off each week and you may stand to accrue some bank holidays as leave at another time as you weren't scheduled to be working that day anyway. If your offices always close on bank holidays that is. Win for employee.

Reduction in the working week also means using less annual leave for a week or two off, but you need to compare this with the pro rata reduction in holidays. Working TTO you know where you are with holidays but as you said you're restricted to busier and more expensive times for booking actual trips.

I would lean towards a 4dw also I think on balance. Having a six week summer break and a few two week breaks I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use the whole time in a productive way, always thinking that I'd got ages until I'm back at work and before I know it I've spent a week not getting dressed until lunchtime. That could just be me. :-)

Another point that's just occurred to me, if you are TTO what if you need an odd day off for something? Will you have any paid leave to cover for the odd home emergency, funeral etc? Much easier to swap your one day off to cover eventualities in this case.

Nice predicament to have anyway, hope that will be me before too long. :-)
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a bunch of friends who don't work Fridays by the way, they keep organising lunches and stuff and I'm like 'hey some of us have to go to work!'. :-)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    One more thing with a 4DW. I know you said you preferred shorter breaks to longer holidays, but realistically, would you get that by just having long weekends every weekend?

Dunno about you, but with me, the risk would be that you end up mooching round for that additional day doing not a lot (friends etc possibly being at work), meaning you'd still need to book additional days off if you wanted to go anywhere too far away. Yes, it's nice having a day off when everyone else is at school or work (it feels naughty, like bunking off school), but you probably want to be sure you'd use that time usefully, given you'll be working every week, including school holidays....

I went down to three days before I retired. What I did was to start doing things on those days that I would be carrying on in retirement. I joined the gym and started volunteering.

It made the transition easier as I had days where I was occupied when retirement kicked in. I knew folks at both places - and it was easy to increase attendance if I wanted to.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I went down to three days before I retired. What I did was to start doing things on those days that I would be carrying on in retirement. I joined the gym and started volunteering.

It made the transition easier as I had days where I was occupied when retirement kicked in. I knew folks at both places - and it was easy to increase attendance if I wanted to.

Good point. I'm 20-25 years off that position, so answered accordingly. Given the OP's 4-ish years off, transitioning to retirement maybe something they want to think about.

One further point from the world of working full time perspective, and which has negatively affected female colleagues of mine looking for 4DW or similarly almost-but-not-quite-FT roles is the extent to which someone else can do things on the days you're not there. Given the rest of business works 5 days, there's an expectation that you'll be there, and working, even if you're not supposed to be. And even if you're not, the e-mails keep coming in.... So, while the hours and pay go down, the workload doesn't. Effectively, they're expected to do a week's worth of work in 4 days, and are paid less for it.

The OP should ensure that their workload is reduced along with their hours - I can't imagine that during a busy period (say exam time) the response "I don't have enough time to look at this now, it'll have to wait until the summer holidays" will be well-received....
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    working 46.4 with 5.6 weeks holiday.

TTO 39 weeks and 4.7 paid weeks holiday leaving 8.3 weeks/41.5 days unpaid

4DW will have 52 days unpaid.

you still get 5.6 weeks with a just each week is 4 days
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories