Settlements - how much should I ask for?

Comments

• Bob from accounts said he emailed Eric the MD and he email Trevor from HR and he phoned Gary at the Warehouse and they all agreed your getting Nothing other than a Good Bye card.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Again, they took the word of '3 colleagues'. I'd probably keep pushing, make case strong as possible to see if you get an offer (note your solicitor fees in this), but if you don't then I don't think based on what you've said you'll get anywhere at tribunal, and I'd be amazed if your solicitor carried on the no win no fee attitude. Good luck though.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ozzuk raises a good point. If you accept an offer then from the solicitors POV that'll be considered a 'win' and therefore his fees will need to come out of your award. This could, especially if the offer is small basically take away everything your ex employer give you.

The other thing to watch out for is if your ex employer give you an offer and you refuse, whether the solicitor will also consider that a 'win'. They might also cap their total fee to the award given. You need to check your contract really.
  • Thank you for the advice, that is worth knowing regarding a win.

I will see how it goes and I will also have a look at the contract to see how it works if it’s a low offer.
  • Even if it is a small win, it is more than I have now.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Forumite
    Please do come back and update us, I'm interested how this one plays out.
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    It's not you, it's a known issue with so-called smart punctuation on Apple devices. Suggest you turn it off and punctuate for yourself.

Glad you posted that . I keep seeing this , thought it was some kind of hipster insult or something
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Forumite
    No it was me that said sex discrimination as that is how it felt. I!!!8217;m the only female and what the male employees say is fact and no one even was interested in my version of events. That felt to me that I was being discriminated against because I was a woman.

And when they ignored my grievance when they had taken a males complaint so seriously also makes me feel like it!!!8217;s discrimination.

And the fact they have then dismissed me makes me feel that I was dismissed because I raised the grievance which I put down to victimisation.

I always say that 9 times out of 10 there's no problem dismissing people in the first two years, but there is that odd occasion where the employer has to be careful and make sure they're above board. I think you're one of the odd cases and based on what you've said it sounds like the employer has handled it badly.

So I'm a bit more bullish on your prospects than others on here. Even if it's not a huge amount of cash I think you've got a good shout of getting a settlement. At tribunal who knows, but if you can show that prima facie there was discrimination, then the burden will fall on them to show a fair reason for your dismissal, and it doesn't sound like they've done a good job of that so far.

Do let us know how you get on. Good luck.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Sorry it has taken me so long to come back with an update. There has been no update to report until the last few days!

I had went ahead and registered my claim with the employment tribunal to ensure I was within the 3 month time limit. We received a letter from the tribunal that my ex employer failed to respond with their defence so they have entered a default judgement in my favour !!!55357;!!!56898;

I!!!8217;m delighted however I also am aware that the employer could apply to have this set aside. I am not sure why they did not respond, unless they did not receive the court papers.

My solicitor has calculated a new settlement figure and has went to them as the remedy hearing is in a few weeks time so there really is not much time.
  • What was the outcome to this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport