PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

About to rent my property, barking dog issue.

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'm sorry you have a problem with reading "being more exact".:cool:

But you weren't 'being more exact', you were changing the story to sound more dramatic! :rotfl:
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    PhilE wrote: »
    And barking dogs can ruin peoples lives. They affect work, sleep, they affect children's performances at school.
    If you'd ruin another persons life because you want the luxury of a barking dog, if you'd knowingly disturb a kids sleep, your unfit for society as far as I'm concerned.

That must be me then. I live next door to a holiday cottage which is adjacent to the owners residential property but the holiday cottage uses an access driveway next to my house so that the owners don't get disturbed (nice for them). Because my dogs see strangers going up and down the driveway week in, week out at all times of the day (even when kids are asleep) - they will bark and what's more, I want them to bark at people they don't know.

I had the police round following a complaint from holiday makers at the weekend and when I explained that the dogs were barking because strangers were walking up and down the boundary line, they agreed with me and left.
    PhilE wrote: »
    As for the old burglar alarm theory, what if the burglar alarm went of 3 times per hour for no reason?

That is not the same as a dog barking when someone they don't recognise is near my property.
  • My boyfriend lives in a mid-terrace, with owners of large noisy dogs either side. They don't bark incessantly, but quite a lot and quite loudly first thing in the morning, most mornings. I can only assume dog owners get used to the noise, like they do to the smell in their homes. These are small houses and neither dog seems to get enough exercise- I feel sorry for them. There are a lot of really bad pet owners in Britain.

OP- I would market your house as "tenants with pets welcome". This is rare in rental properties, so you may get a lot of interest, and can choose ones with a dog, who presumably are used to barking noise. Just charge an extra deposit for scratching damage and flea-removal.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I feel like choosing a tenant with a barking dog is likely to backfire on the OP - if they don't train/entertain dogs sufficiently to not bark, what else do they not train them about? Plus they'll bark at each other - feel for the neighbours caught in the middle... If you do do this OP, remove anything that you don't want chewing.

I don't recall my Grandma's dog barking much at all in the house. Just one small woof (one!) to let us know that the postman was there. He didn't like kites, but they weren't inside!
  • But you weren't 'being more exact', you were changing the story to sound more dramatic! :rotfl:

:wall::wall::wall::whistle::doh::doh::doh:

Oh right - you know my mind and the meaning of my words better than I do myself obviously:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

• My boyfriend lives in a mid-terrace, with owners of large noisy dogs either side. They don't bark incessantly, but quite a lot and quite loudly first thing in the morning, most mornings. I can only assume dog owners get used to the noise, like they do to the smell in their homes. These are small houses and neither dog seems to get enough exercise- I feel sorry for them. There are a lot of really bad pet owners in Britain.

OP- I would market your house as "tenants with pets welcome". This is rare in rental properties, so you may get a lot of interest, and can choose ones with a dog, who presumably are used to barking noise. Just charge an extra deposit for scratching damage and flea-removal.

...and new carpets afterwards.

I've had carpet passed on to me before from a house that I know is kept clean (ie my parents house) and I shampooed and shampooed it and could still catch a "doggy whiff" at intervals.
  • :wall::wall::wall::whistle::doh::doh::doh:

Oh right - you know my mind and the meaning of my words better than I do myself obviously:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Here you go being ridiculous again.

Being more exact is adding detail. What you did is contradict yourself. The two are mutually exclusive.

I could add a lot of laughing faces, but I don't think that really adds much to the strength of an argument.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    :wall::wall::wall::whistle::doh::doh::doh:

I know the meaning of your words because I can read and understand English!
  • ...and new carpets afterwards.

I've had carpet passed on to me before from a house that I know is kept clean (ie my parents house) and I shampooed and shampooed it and could still catch a "doggy whiff" at intervals.

Back on topic....
  • I feel like choosing a tenant with a barking dog is likely to backfire on the OP - if they don't train/entertain dogs sufficiently to not bark, what else do they not train them about?

I don't imagine anyone was suggesting they choose a tenant with a "barking" dog, as in they vet them and insist that their dog barks uncontrollably. That would be extremely strange. The suggestion was that a tenant with a dog of any description would be more likely to be understanding of a dog that barks occasionally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure